Manual Flaps in a cessna seem "loose"

Christopher

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Christopher
Is it normal for manual flaps in a c-150 to not require much strength to move? should they be very very easy to move ?

Was just curious for a rental I flew. I figured you would need to use some strength to pull it down a notch but instead nothing was really required. It kind of went on its own.

Last edited:
Takes more when you're moving but still not very much. Why do you expect it should it should take any strength. The biggest problem many people have is reaching the control (there's an aftermarket extension handle available)...probably not so much the 150's but the 170's and early 172's.

I figured you would need to use some strength to pull it down a notch but instead nothing was really required. It kind of went on its own.

When on the ground gravity will drop the flaps once you disengage the lock. Pulling them up takes a little effort to counter gravity. In the air pulling flaps will take a little effort. The faster you're going the more effort is required. To retract them is the opposite. Airspeed will help you retract them once the lock is released.

Back