Manual E6B

Can anyone list a practical use for a E6B that couldn't be done easily with a basic (non e6b) calculator? Or even with a simple pencil & paper calc?

For distance, add the numbers on the chart.

For time, divide by cruise speed.

For fuel, multiply that by GPH.

What am I missing? I learned to use one when I was a student, but just haven't figured out a practical use since then.
I used a calculator during my private check-ride instead of the E6B. It just made more sense to me.

Can anyone list a practical use for a E6B that couldn't be done easily with a basic (non e6b) calculator? Or even with a simple pencil & paper calc?

For distance, add the numbers on the chart.

For time, divide by cruise speed.

For fuel, multiply that by GPH.

What am I missing? I learned to use one when I was a student, but just haven't figured out a practical use since then.
You're forgetting the other three primary functions: true altitude (pressure corrected for temperature), true airspeed, density altitude.

Then there's the wind side... very handy and I agree more visual, which helps (me).

Other than figuring WCA, ETEs and fuel burn before and during flight, I've probably used my 12-year-old cardboard E6B for density altitude calculations more than anything else.
can't speak for everyone, but for me, it's faster than figgerin' it with my wetware or an electronic calculator of any kind.
I haven't used it in flight very much, mostly because I haven't made many flights over 2 hours or so. On longer trips it gets used quite a bit, without any fuss (albeit day VFR).

And in 12 years, it's never broken or needed new batteries. I think I paid about $5 for it. :D

Back