Man, was that a short flight...

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
My wife and I planned to have lunch at the Flying W (N14) in southern NJ. It was an uneventful flight at 1000 msl below the PHL 1500' shelf. Land at the W, cool down, shut down, walk in only to find that the restaurant was closed for the day.

What to do? Well South Jersey (VAY) is nearby, so we got back in and headed for there. I did a parallel takeoff on the west side of 19, turned right about midfield over the trees, and was about 400 agl before starting my descent for a landing parallel to 26 at VAY at one of the helipads.

Net results:

Startup, clutch engagement, mag check, sprag clutch check, spool up to 100% RRPM: 4 minutes

Flight: 90 seconds

Cool down, shutdown, rotor stops turning: 5.5 minutes.

The good news is that the Hobbs doesn't run unless the collective is raised so that 9.5 minutes didn't cost anything!

Of yeah. The paninis were great, at least as good as the ones as MIV...

Why didn't you just do a low pass of the restaurant prior to landing? :)

Dang Bob I am just so happy that Dusty is enjoying flying with you. Quite a change.

The good news is that the Hobbs doesn't run unless the collective is raised so that 9.5 minutes didn't cost anything!

Curiosity... are all the robbies like that? It'd be good to know that since it essentially would save me almost 45$ (thinking almost .2 on the Hobbs at a 225$/hr rate) :D

Curiosity... are all the robbies like that? It'd be good to know that since it essentially would save me almost 45$ (thinking almost .2 on the Hobbs at a 225$/hr rate) :D

No they're not, William. Our 2002 R22 does not have a Hobbs switch on the collective, and I'm not sure that all R44's do, only the Raven II am I certain about. I've flown older Ravens but don't recall how the Hobbs behaves in them.

No they're not, William. Our 2002 R22 does not have a Hobbs switch on the collective, and I'm not sure that all R44's do, only the Raven II am I certain about. I've flown older Ravens but don't recall how the Hobbs behaves in them.

Ah, gotcha. Darn. :D

Exactly!! Why drive when you can fly too! Why eat when you can fly! Why have se... Um never mind about the flying thing ;)

Oh c'mon Scott, why do you think the autopilot was invented? Best of both worlds.

Bob now you need to work on getting your wife up this way in the summer!

Bob I have a nice guest room, and I work for a company that has 3 hotels -- No excuses! (Consider this official arm twisting)

Back