Man jumps out of 737 onto tarmac

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- A passenger on a commercial flight jumped out of a moving airplane as it prepared to take off Monday, authorities said.

...Authorities said Rigby started yelling to get off as the Boeing 737 began to move toward the runway. He ran to the front of the plane, and banged on windows and the cockpit door. As passengers and crew tried to restrain him, Rigby bit a passenger, who sustained minor injuries, the sheriff's office said.

When the pilot depressurized the cabin, he opened a door and jumped out of the moving plane onto the tarmac, the sheriff's office said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FL_PASSENGER_DETAINED_FLOL-?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
DEPRESSURIZED the cabin, ON THE GROUND? Was the cabin altitude set to -5000 feet?

Anyway....as an indication of how factual the reporting of the story is...
When the pilot depressurized the cabin, he opened a door and jumped out of the moving plane onto the tarmac, the sheriff's office said.
How did they get the moving plane stopped if the pilot jumped out? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When the pilot depressurized the cabin, he opened a door and jumped out of the moving plane

Lucky he didn't get sucked in to the 737's engine.

-Skip

mikea said:
DEPRESSURIZED the cabin, ON THE GROUND? Was the cabin altitude set to -5000 feet?

Anyway....as an indication of how factual the reporting of the story is...

How did they get the moving plane stopped if the pilot jumped out? :rolleyes:

Maybe it's like our LJ45. When you close the door with power on the aircraft it automaticlly pressurizes down 150' feet to delay the pressure change on take-off. If you were to open the door again, it would go back to the outside pressure. Never flown a 737 so I cant say but just maybe this might be similar.

Brent Bradford said:
Maybe it's like our LJ45. When you close the door with power on the aircraft it automaticlly pressurizes down 150' feet to delay the pressure change on take-off. If you were to open the door again, it would go back to the outside pressure. Never flown a 737 so I cant say but just maybe this might be similar.

Really? Down? Knowing how the pressurization system gets air from the jet engines I didn't think it could lower the pressure.

mikea said:
Really? Down? Knowing how the pressurization system gets air from the jet engines I didn't think it could lower the pressure.

Mike: "Down 150 feet". Lower altitude = increased pressure.

-Skip

Back