Mama Bird's 100th Birthday

EHITCH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Elizabeth
On November 4, 2009, the legendary Evelyn “Mama Bird” Johnson will celebrate her 100th birthday. If you’d like to celebrate the 100th birthday of this flying legend, please send a birthday card to:

Ms. Evelyn Bryan Johnson
Airport Manager
Moore-Murrell Airport
5233 Old Highway 11E
Morristown, TN 37814-1004

There have been women who have flown farther, faster, and higher, but no woman has trained more pilots, logged more hours in as many types and categories of airplanes, given more FAA exams and received more awards than Evelyn Bryan Johnson. She has served as airport manager at Tennessee’s Moore-Murrell Field for more than 50 years and the terminal there is named in her honor. She holds the record for the most flight hours of any woman -- 57,635.4 hours -- a feat which earned her a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Johnson soloed on November 8, 1944 in a Piper J3Cub with the minimum 8 hours required before the instructor jumped out leaving the controls to her. She says she’s glad nothing happened because she really didn’t know a lot at the time. She earned a private pilot certificate in June 1945, added a commercial certificate in 1946, became a flight instructor in 1947 and the same afternoon she instructed her first student. She was named a designated FAA examiner in 1952.

Evelyn Johnson was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 2007. She has also been honored by induction in the National Flight Instructor Hall of Fame, the Women in Aviation’s International Pioneer Hall of Fame, the Tennessee Aviation Hall of Fame, and the Kentucky Aviation Hall of Fame. She also received a Bronze Carnegie Medal for saving a helicopter pilot’s life.

I know a birthday celebration is being planned for November 7, so I hope some of you in the Morristown area will chime in with info about how to fly in.
Cheers,
Elizabeth Hitchcock

Last edited:
I will definitely send her a card. Thank you for the reminder and the address. A few years ago when I was learning to fly, I met Ms. Evelyn at a Tennessee Aviation Conference. I told her of my problem. She gave me advice, I tried it and it worked as smooth as silk. A wonderful lady and a real tribute to aviation.

Thanks again.

Leslie spent part of her weekend creating a birthday card to Mama Bird. It was big. :) It started as a foam-core display board! This was at the North Central section of the Ninety-Nines meeting in Grand Rapids, so there are a lot of signatures on there!

You guys were in Grand Rapids and didn't drop me a line?

For shame!!!

You guys were in Grand Rapids and didn't drop me a line?

For shame!!!
I wasn't in GRR, Leslie was! And she had you on her speed dial, but really didn't have time to get together with you! We talked about it; really!:yes:

I met Miss Evelyn this year. What an incredible lady! She has more life and enthusiasm in her than most people 1/4 to 1/2 her age. She is still the airport manager at Morristown and goes in to work 5 days a week. She said she would go in on Saturday and Sunday but can't find anyone to drive her to the airport. If anyone is ever flying near Knoxville TN make a point of stopping at Morristown and say hi to her. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Barb

If you live anywhere near Morristown Tn. KMOR, they are having a little celebration for her on Saturday Nov.7th from 2pm till 4:30pm. Cards only, no gifts. She is a special lady. Most of the pilots around her have her signature in their log books. So if you're able, stop on by and meet a living legend.
Ron

Truly a remarkable woman. I was lucky enough to have Mama Bird as my FAA examiner for my private pilot checkride back in 1995. I'm not the least bit surprised to see her still kicking! She was as deaf as a stump and had a mouth like a sailor, but she was an excellent pilot!

Back