Malibu IO-550 conversions

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
I'm noticing on a lot of Malibu's for sale, that they've been converted from the TIO-540 to an IO-550.

What's the reason for this? lower fuel consumption? more reliable? was the 550 just a better overall engine??

Sure they were converted? Original Malibus had TSIO-520s, and I thought there was a -550 conversion available for those. The TIO-540 came in the Malibu Mirage, and now Matrix.

Sure they were converted? Original Malibus had TSIO-520s, and I thought there was a -550 conversion available for those. The TIO-540 came in the Malibu Mirage, and now Matrix.

Yeah, several of them advertized that they had been converted. Could this have something to do with Lycoming SB 552 & 553?

Ok, bad wording on my part. Sure they were converted from a 540 to 550 instead of 520 to 550?

As to reasoning, ask a Malibu owner. I'd convert my Aztec to any type of engine that gave me more power with similar reliability. 300 hp a side would be nice... :)

Ok, bad wording on my part. Sure they were converted from a 540 to 550 instead of 520 to 550?

As to reasoning, ask a Malibu owner.

That's what has me scratching my head. The 540 and 550 have the same HP.

I'd convert my Aztec to any type of engine that gave me more power with similar reliability. 300 hp a side would be nice... :)

Why not just stuff in a IO-720?? :ihih:

The PA46-310P (1984-1988) came with the TCM TSIO520-BE, 310 HP only. In 1994 an STC for the TCM TSIO550-C engine was completed. With the two engines sitting side by side you can't tell the difference. The 550-C engine was de-rated to 310 HP to make the STC easy. Even though it's capable of 350HP some people think that it's 350 HP like the Mirage Textron engine. The engine has not proved to be anymore reliable. There is an STC in the works for the Fadec engine rated at 350HP at take-off only for both the Malibu and Mirage.

The advantages are- 7-10 kts at flight levels, slightly better climb up high, and sales appeal. It uses the reserve power at altitude but it comes with a slightly higher fuel flow. You don't go faster for nothing.

There has never been an attempt to install the Textron TIO540-AE2A Mirage engine in a Malibu, it would be a big mistake.

Asking Ted's question one more time, are there any PA46-350s (aka Malibu Mirage and came from Piper with a Lyc TSIO540) that have been converted to TCM IO550 power?

I'm pretty certain the answer is no.

The PA46-310P (1984-1988) came with the TCM TSIO520-BE, 310 HP only. In 1994 an STC for the TCM TSIO550-C engine was completed. With the two engines sitting side by side you can't tell the difference. The 550-C engine was de-rated to 310 HP to make the STC easy. Even though it's capable of 350HP some people think that it's 350 HP like the Mirage Textron engine. The engine has not proved to be anymore reliable. There is an STC in the works for the Fadec engine rated at 350HP at take-off only for both the Malibu and Mirage.

The advantages are- 7-10 kts at flight levels, slightly better climb up high, and sales appeal. It uses the reserve power at altitude but it comes with a slightly higher fuel flow. You don't go faster for nothing.

OK, that half answers my question, I took a close look at the wiki article and that answered the rest. There was an issue with the TIO-520 being designed to run at lean-of-peak where many pilots were running it rich-of-peak, leading to several engine fires and a massive lawsuit.

There has never been an attempt to install the Textron TIO540-AE2A Mirage engine in a Malibu, it would be a big mistake.

Why is that? wouldn't you just have a Mirage at that point? Was there a major re-design between the Malibu and Malibu Mirage models??

Asking Ted's question one more time, are there any PA46-350s (aka Malibu Mirage and came from Piper with a Lyc TSIO540) that have been converted to TCM IO550 power?

I'll have to take a second look, but I think I saw one for sale at Controller.com

Yeah, I took a second look, not just at controller, but a few different sites, and all the conversions I saw were 520 to 550. Apparently that lean burn thing spooked a lot of people.

Apparently that lean burn thing spooked a lot of people.

That's one way of looking at it. From what I've heard the real problem was folks avoiding LOP from fear of engine damage and instead ran them 25 ROP with very high CHTs that led to early cylinder problems.

That's one way of looking at it. From what I've heard the real problem was folks avoiding LOP from fear of engine damage and instead ran them 25 ROP with very high CHTs that led to early cylinder problems.
When are they going to learn.....You don't run 25 ROP :dunno:

The 520BE engine was a disappointment in the beginning due to quality problems from TCM and the odd maintenance needs. They even replaced all of the early engines after the main bearing/ crankcase problems. The engine normally does very well 50 degrees LOP or more, if it's not smooth or CHTs aren't kept in check you will have problems.

You would think with all of those years of experience with this engine that the TSIO550-C engine would be great but broken crankshafts, fuel pump failures, and piston cracking have really disappointed owners.

I will take back the nobody converted a Malibu to a Mirage statement. The first Mirage was a Malibu that was converted by the factory and later sold as a certified aircraft with two data plates. A 550 converted Malibu is as fast as most Mirages with fewer headaches and a lower fuel flow.

Kevin

I will take back the nobody converted a Malibu to a Mirage statement. The first Mirage was a Malibu that was converted by the factory and later sold as a certified aircraft with two data plates. A 550 converted Malibu is as fast as most Mirages with fewer headaches and a lower fuel flow.

Given your previous statements about all the headaches with the 520s and 550s, it makes me wonder how unreliable the Mirages must be by comparison. :confused:

Given your previous statements about all the headaches with the 520s and 550s, it makes me wonder how unreliable the Mirages must be by comparison. :confused:

Gulp. My Matrix has been reliable. Only mission scrub was due to Avidyne, not Piper. So far......

Gulp. My Matrix has been reliable. Only mission scrub was due to Avidyne, not Piper. So far......

That was my thought, but our friend stated that the 550 conversions were better than the Mirage/Matrix, after listing all the problems he had that I hadn't heard about existing on those planes.

Of course, you're the only personal friend I have who flies one.

I currently fly a '86 Malibu with the 520. I always run lean of peak using CHT below 400 degrees at FL 22-25. The fuel flow is 14-15.2 gph@30 inches and 24.5 rpm, depending on weight this gives a speed at those levels of between 190-200K. I would recommend the 520 just for that reason....I might be 7-8 knots slower but my fuel burn is considerably less. The first engine swallowed a turbo at exactly 2000 hours and the factory rebuilt is currently at 1000 hours and the only problem we have had is that two of the cylinders valves were not machined properly and we had to peen, then remove and have reground....since then to problem, no oil consumption. If I were buying I would look for the 520.

For whatever it's worth, I've flown a 550 powered Malibu quite a bit, and have never had any sort of engine issue. Airplane makes it between annuals without issue.

craig said:
The fuel flow is 14-15.2 gph@30 inches and 24.5 rpm, depending on weight this gives a speed at those levels of between 190-200K. I would recommend the 520 just for that reason....I might be 7-8 knots slower but my fuel burn is considerably less.
Not true. I can easily hit the same speed on the same fuel burn in a 550 powered Malibu at those altitudes.

I know...I lfy a Meridian too but range is restricted and sucks fuel.....my mission is a bit over 1,000 kt miles....Meridian needs to stop 90% of the time...the Malibu never!

Thanks, I only know what I read and hear....my understanding is they don't recommend burning LOP with the 550 and the burn is 18-20 GPH range. I have run all my airplanes lean of peak for the last 10 years. Thanks for the info.

Necropost... almost 8 years old.

Thanks, I only know what I read and hear....my understanding is they don't recommend burning LOP with the 550 and the burn is 18-20 GPH range. I have run all my airplanes lean of peak for the last 10 years. Thanks for the info.
Also not true. The 550 is operated LOP. Operating it ROP is where people get into trouble.

You're thinking of the Lycoming 540 installations which generally aren't operated LOP for one reason or another. I've never flown one.

Zero time in the plane, but lots of time behind 550s and 520s

It's just s logical upgrade, virtually the same engine, so many people go 550 at overhaul time, at least in the 185/206 world, it's a hair more power, and you are not limited to 5min max power.

Unless you're overhauling anyways its not enough of a upgrade for most people to go from a 520 to a 550.

Both are great engines.

Depends how you're operating, low level back country and float guys are more likely to go ROP, higher altitude guys often go LOP, as long as your CHTs are happy it's all gravy.

Power setting wise, with 300hp 520 I plan on 15gph

Why is that? wouldn't you just have a Mirage at that point? Was there a major re-design between the Malibu and Malibu Mirage models??

For starters the engine mounts are completely different between a Lycoming and a Continental.
It's not a huge leap to upgrade from a Contininental 520 to a Continental 550. It's a really big deal to switch from one manufacturer to the other, and I doubt anybody has wasted money trying to do that.

Back