...malfunctioning gear...? unusual VIDEO

It looks like the gear was working fine. It appears that the pilot was an idiot and trusted the brakes way too much. The start of the video shows the airplane nose down--I'm assuming this is because of the brakes being set.

Thrust exceeded traction.

I assume they were hand-propping with the pilot out of the aircraft (starter failure? or does that type of ultralight have no starter?). The throttle was set too high and it overcame the brakes. Plenty of taildraggers have managed to take off with no pilot due to this error. Pretty dumb, especially with lots of people around. Not like he was all alone in the bush and had to figure out how to handprop his own aircraft.

I assume they were hand-propping with the pilot out of the aircraft (starter failure? or does that type of ultralight have no starter?).
It most likely either has an electric start or a pull start like a lawn mower.

I read that it nailed that lady pretty good but not in a permanent way. :(
Should have been tied down too.

Dang. That is one seriously PO'd airplane.

Granted it's a rock/hard place situation however I'm not sure about the wisdom of trying to stop a runaway plane with that spinning prop in close proximity to one's body...

Note to self: Double verify the throttle is at idle and unable to move (bungee corded in place) when handpropping.

Frank mentions something which gave me pause: don't y'all double verify power settings anyway?...as part of your normal engine start procedure.

Frank mentions something which gave me pause: don't y'all double verify power settings anyway?...as part of your normal engine start procedure.

I think most of us probably start with our hand on the throttle the entire time. The exception is those that do the fuel injected dance which requires at least 12 hands.

Those that prop/pull/whatever do if they have any intelligence.

Man,that is wild. I heard about an old Thrush with a 600P&W that got away like that on a municipal airport one day.If i recall,The Thrush won the fight,Wiped out the cops car that was trying to corral the thing. Wow,Those old Thrushes are tough birds. FLY SAFE T.C.

Back