Major Terror Attack last Friday?

Sonar5

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Sonar5

Ok,

I was running our annual ski/board trip this past weekend and just heard about this today.

Apparently some nutjob ran over a bunch of students at UNC

Link Here:
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - A University of North Carolina graduate from Iran accused of running down nine people on campus to avenge the treatment of Muslims, said at a hearing Monday that he was "thankful for the opportunity to spread the will of Allah."

Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar was accused of driving a sport utility vehicle through The Pit, a popular campus gathering spot, injuring nine people Friday. None of the victims was seriously hurt.
Police Chief Derek Poarch said Taheri-azar told investigators he intentionally hit people to "avenge the deaths of Muslims around the world."

So is this to be considered a Major terror attack on our soil?, as that is what one newsgeek on PMSNBC tried to imply.

Just wondering what folks think about this.

Regards,
Joe

Sonar5 said:

Ok,

I was running our annual ski/board trip this past weekend and just heard about this today.

Apparently some nutjob ran over a bunch of students at UNC

Link Here:

So is this to be considered a Major terror attack on our soil?, as that is what one newsgeek on PMSNBC tried to imply.

Just wondering what folks think about this.

Regards,
Joe

Glad nobody got seriously hurt and, maybe it will take some of the heat off GA? -it's nice to have dreams!

Yeah, we must ban all Jeep Cherokees, and no Cherokees within 30 miles of DC or Cheney's house, even if he isn't home....

I happen to believe strongly in the constitutional right to a fair and speedy trial but in this case.....let's see....the guy calls the 911 dispatcher and tells him what he did and why he did it. He then says he'll wait for them to come and arrest him. In this case I'd have no qualms if someone decided to skip the trial process and proceed directly to the penalty phase.

His bail was set at $5.5 million, and he was assigned a public defender, but he said after the hearing: "The truth is my lawyer."
Oh good. That means his lawyer sure won't show up at trial. Makes for a cheap court case.

Reminds me of that guy in NYC who shot several people on the subway and then represented himself and asked one victim on the stand, "Did you get a good look at me when I shot you?" or something like that...

It's unfortunate that he didn't resist arrest or have a weapon (besides his jeep) - could have saved huge cost and time if he was tried, convicted, sentenced and executed on the spot. There is no reasonable doubt of his guilt in my mind. Of course, that's entirely based on the media's reports on the event.

Frank Browne said:
I happen to believe strongly in the constitutional right to a fair and speedy trial but in this case.....let's see....the guy calls the 911 dispatcher and tells him what he did and why he did it. He then says he'll wait for them to come and arrest him. In this case I'd have no qualms if someone decided to skip the trial process and proceed directly to the penalty phase.
File this under, Anarchy Now!

Actually I'd like to see him put in a cell for the rest of his life.

He would most likely have to sit in solitary confinement anyway, since the prison population would probably rank him slightly above pedophile. Justice is knowing that he will live a miserable existence for the rest of his life, hopefully in jail.

Lock him up, keep him locked up, and I'm good with that.

Only in the same class as the Big Bad Wolf attacking all those pigs. Then again, Americans seem to be easily frightened these days, so "terror" may be a fitting description. We're terrorized by McDonalds selling us all that fat, Wal-Mart not insuring its workers, hurricanes breaching levee walls and probably locusts. Why not be afraid of scrawney, dark-skinned guys with short black hair in an SUV?

That said, let the punishment fit the crime. Put him in the slammer for life with nothing but MTV on his in-cell TV.

Last edited:
ABCandJRC said:
Only in the same class as the Big Bad Wolf attacking all those pigs. Then again, Americans seem to be easily frightened these days, so "terror" may be a fitting description. We're terrorized by McDonalds selling us all that fat, Wal-Mart not insuring its workers, hurricanes breaching levee walls and probably locusts. Why not be afraid of scrawney, dark-skinned guys with short black hair in an SUV?

That said, let the punishment fit the crime. Put him in the slammer for life with nothing but MTV on his in-cell TV.

Wait a second here... What do you mean wal-mart not insuring its workers. Their workers are given a choice to insure when they get their jobs.

They offer it to both full time and part time workers.

Your analogy is incorrect.
http://www.walmartfacts.com/newsdesk/article.aspx?id=1625

ABCandJRC said:

Do huh?

Deliberately driving a vehicle through a group of students = easy chair, free meals, and tv? Must be that new math thing.

Stand him in the middle of a demolition derby arena and let the students that got run over drive the cars. punishment = crime

IMNSHO: People in this world need to start connecting the crime they commit with the punishment they receive and it is essential that they must receive that punishment for the despicable thing they did. As long as crime and punishment are not connected, assuming they're ever punished in the first place, the behavior pattern will not change.

Frank Browne said:
I happen to believe strongly in the constitutional right to a fair and speedy trial but in this case

Well, let's at least get the speedy part settled :p

fgcason said:
Do huh?

Deliberately driving a vehicle through a group of students = easy chair, free meals, and tv? Must be that new math thing.

Stand him in the middle of a demolition derby arena and let the students that got run over drive the cars. punishment = crime

IMNSHO: People in this world need to start connecting the crime they commit with the punishment they receive and it is essential that they must receive that punishment for the despicable thing they did. As long as crime and punishment are not connected, assuming they're ever punished in the first place, the behavior pattern will not change.

Frank that is all fine and good, but hasn't history already proven that no matter what you do, some poeple are just nutso and will kill regardless of potential punishment. Deteerant or not, I think 1% is just plain nuts.

Take pedophiles for instance. Now I am all for finding out where they live so my kids are safer, but what about a murderer list, or a burglar list, or an auto thief list, where are those at?

If my neighbor has been convicted for auto theft, I might not ever leave my bimmer in the street as a target and always park it in the garage.

It is the criminal that needs ot be controlled with their behavior, and yes many have the potential to be rehabilitated. But for that 1%, nothing will ever do.

But I don't want them killed, just controlled, but with leave it to beaver reruns not MTV. :D

Sonar5 said:
Actually I'd like to see him put in a cell for the rest of his life.

He would most likely have to sit in solitary confinement anyway, since the prison population would probably rank him slightly above pedophile. Justice is knowing that he will live a miserable existence for the rest of his life, hopefully in jail.

Lock him up, keep him locked up, and I'm good with that.

Lock him up only if he is put out in general population. Give the other prisoners some recreational time with him. :yes:

Child molestors should also be put in with other prisoners.

Sonar5 said:
but hasn't history already proven that no matter what you do, some poeple are just nutso and will kill regardless of potential punishment. Deteerant or not, I think 1% is just plain nuts.

There are always the suicidal and/or maniac nutcases. There's not a lot you can do with them to make them behave in a socially acceptable manner. That said, there are a whopping LOT of people out there (the 99% beyond the nutcases) that would most likely behave if and only if they were punished or knew they would be punished for what they do. For every nutcase, there are probably 10,000 opportunist looking for trouble. The opportunist sneak thieves have at least a chance to be discouraged from that behavior or reintroduced to polite society after the fact. I could handle the 1:10,000 if I didn't have to keep an eye on the other 9,999.

Sonar5 said:
But I don't want them killed, just controlled, but with leave it to beaver reruns not MTV. :D

Agreed. But don't give them a free easy hotel. The rest of us have to work our tailfeathers off to get by every day. They should not be given a free ride for being despicable and we certainly shouldn't have to pay for that free ride.

Killing/maiming is in most cases is a bit excessive and most uncivilized. Give them a hammer and a big rock and tell them you demand 2400+ grit powder by the end of the week..then bring them another rock once that's swept off and sent to the sandpaper making factory. Half a day a month of leave it to beaver wouldn't hurt them either but only after they pay their debt for the month.

Play fair. Be nice. ..Or go to sing-sing and smash rocks into fine powder. :D

ABCandJRC said:
......We're terrorized by McDonalds selling us all that fat, Wal-Mart not insuring its workers, hurricanes breaching levee walls and probably locusts.........
Sonar5 said:
Wait a second here... What do you mean wal-mart not insuring its workers. Their workers are given a choice to insure when they get their jobs.

They offer it to both full time and part time workers.

Your analogy is incorrect.
http://www.walmartfacts.com/newsdesk/article.aspx?id=1625
No, it's not. Read carefully again, please. Those were boogy-men I was describing. None of them were things to get panicked about but all of which seem to strike terror in the hearts of the American public! Or do you think the other three examples really were cause for alarm?

Last edited:
ABCandJRC said:
fgcason said:
Do huh?

Stand him in the middle of a demolition derby arena and let the students that got run over drive the cars. punishment = crime......
We all have different ideas of punishment. My suggestion represented the most fearful thing I could think of for myself. Blowing me up with 12 sticks of dynamite would be a charity-event by comparison. Gad, two in a row who don't understand irony and sarchasm! Like someone once said "I am undone!" (Look that one up.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the phrase "nutjob" pretty much covers it. There's some yowling about "let's label this terrorism", but honestly, I think the guy's just a nut and his idiocy doesn't rise to the occasion of "terror". As much as he would like the world to be looking at him and calling him a "terrorist".

He's not a thing more than a nut. period.

And I do think we're getting more than our share of this stuff - Wendell Williams in the 90's and this . . . sheesh.

Back