Maintenance Services

Bergitor

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bergitor
I'd like to know if anyone has an idea on any place in the Dayton, OH area that might require a casual mechanic or how I might find information on becoming that. I've been a mechanic for 14 years now and have done military, general, and commercial aviation work in the past... and I love it.

It is what truly brings me joy in life, but I've got a job I can't walk away from with GE as essentially a shop foreman. It's great pay and benefits but the job satisfaction is not there. I'd like to find a GA airport or organization that could use my services on a purely casual basis- weekends and some mornings. I'd hate for my skills to atrophy and I'm getting itchy riding a desk and not really able to wrench on things.

We work on repairs to large jet engine components- i.e. CF6-80A/C's and GE 90s- so I don't get to work on aircraft systems or put my sheet metal skills to the test. It's driving me slowly insane. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I'm anxious, I'm about to start walking on to private and public strips asking if they need a hand. I live by WHY airport, that's Greene county.

Thanks

Well first off, welcome to POA. Second, where do you work? Evendale? We have a shop at Moraine that were are always looking for casual type help.

Going around to the airports (smaller ones mostly) and telling the FBO/mechanic that you would like to get some aircraft experience is how you go about it.

Well first off, welcome to POA. Second, where do you work? Evendale? We have a shop at Moraine that were are always looking for casual type help.

Thanks for the welcome to the POA! Close to Evendale. I'm at the sister plant, ACSC in Springdale. Just to the North. Casual maintenance is certainly what I'm looking to get involved in. I've got the tools...WAYYYYY to much money invested in my tools to let them now sit in my garage and not be used.

Going around to the airports (smaller ones mostly) and telling the FBO/mechanic that you would like to get some aircraft experience is how you go about it.

I've got some small GA aircraft experience, I'm just not hip to the community. Thanks for the advice, I'll check with the FBO out at Green County.

Ok cool. Well there is a few GE people on here. Ill keep in touch and maybe we can figure something out.

Back