Maintenance Insurance

kmead

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
kmead
Broken down and your favorite mechanic is flying in to do repairs, be prepared to show proof of insurance for the mechanic.

I had a Malibu customer with a dead starter at Austin AUS on 4-24. We flew down in a Jetprop on 4-25 with a new starter and tools, nobody there had any parts. After arrival the counter help at Atlantic informs me that I need proof of insurance to work on their ramp. She tells me that someone at HUT on Sun. morning could just fax them the info (sure). I can't do the work at the Signature ramp either, none of their (on call) mechanics will answer their phones. My insurance people wont answer the phone too.

I decide that I will just prop start it and come on home and do the work. When I tell the counter help what I was doing she just says "fine, have a good trip". I guess they don't have any liability problems with prop starts.

The engine starts nicely and we flew home. We send mechanics out across the country and never been asked by FBOs for proof, from now on we will carry insurance info too.

Kevin

Did they require a change to your existing E&O policy (ie adding them as insured) -- such that you did not have a copy in your files to fax them?

Haven't heard of this before, thanks for the heads up. Will dispatch wrenches with the proper copies now :)

What kind of stupid <fillintheblank> came up with that rule?

I thought this was going to be a thread on an insurance policy to cover the cost of repairs. Sign me up!

I've never heard of this either....until now. Put them on a no fly to list. :mad:

Hand propping a Malibu sounds like fun. I suppose it sits high enough to allow a good strong pull through?

This Malibu has the 3 blade Hartzell. I found that I had to stand behind the prop beside the pilot's side of the cowling pulling up to catch the impulse coupling. On the 2 blade you will need to be in the front of the prop.

Kevin

Our County Dept of Aviation runs all the GA airports in the valley along with the "BIG METRO $$ MAKER".

The County Risk Manager has decided that all businesses, and "through the fence" A&P and CFI require a business license and proof of insurance to work on "their" airports with them listed as additional insured.

They do make exceptions for aircraft owners bringing outside A&Ps when there is no one qualified on the airport to work on your aircraft. Easily done with Larger aircraft or jets not normally based on the field.

I thought this was going to be a thread on an insurance policy to cover the cost of repairs. Sign me up!

I've never heard of this either....until now. Put them on a no fly to list. :mad:

We've thought about offering that. Do you know if anyone offers this anywhere?

The potential downside scares the bejeesus out of me, of course... but I think managed well, it could work :D

Ive never been asked for that. Though ive never had to go to big city airport to do maintenance, its always been small airports with no FBO's.

Ive never been asked for that. Though ive never had to go to big city airport to do maintenance, its always been small airports with no FBO's.

Sometimes that's the best places to be.

Back