Maintenance in Central Illinois (KCMI)?

jdfrey1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Frey
I recently moved to Champaign, Illinois and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a shop in the area to maintain my Archer? Flitestar is on the field but I don't think they do much work on pistons and I'm sure that whatever work they do will be very expensive.

I finally found a good shop near Delaware (Cecil Aero at 58M) that I've worked with for the last 2 years. I'm actually even considering bringing the plane back there for the annual this year. It would be nice to find someone locally though that I can build a relationship with to work on my plane.

I recently moved to Champaign, Illinois and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a shop in the area to maintain my Archer? Flitestar is on the field but I don't think they do much work on pistons and I'm sure that whatever work they do will be very expensive.

I finally found a good shop near Delaware (Cecil Aero at 58M) that I've worked with for the last 2 years. I'm actually even considering bringing the plane back there for the annual this year. It would be nice to find someone locally though that I can build a relationship with to work on my plane.
Lynn Merli will be along shortly with a good recommendation as she is based in that area. I have only used Flitestar as the FBO when I have flown in a couple of times and they take care of transients very well, but like you said, I am not sure that they do a lot of piston maintenance.

My plane is kept well north of you at 10C and the mechanic there are top notch, but that is a bit of travel for you.

With you and Lynn down that way we should maybe consider a Cham-bana or Rantoul PoA fly-in. I would be up for a trip to lil porgy's for bbq or Papa Dells for pizza.

I have used Midwest Avtech in Peru Illinois KVYS which is about 90 miles from you. This shop has a very good reputation with Diamond owners. I would expect that they have a lot of experience with Pipers like everybody else. I will fly my DA40 down there in the next few weeks from Upper Michigan for the 1000 hour inspection .

http://www.midwestavtech.com/aboutus.htm

Hi Jeff! I'm based at KTIP (Rantoul, IL), but for airframe/annual issues use Image Air in Bloomington, IL (KBMI) and for avionics issues use Joliet Avionics (JA) in Aurora, IL (KARR). I have an Archer also and enjoy flying it very much. The husband and I just got back from a trip to the Bahamas last week and if you are checking out Image Air in the next couple of weeks, I might see you there. My plane needs an oil change.

And Scott, I'd be so up for a fly-in for BBQ and/or pizza anytime! :)

Cool. Perhaps we can target May. I will be in Kansas City most of April and will be glad to get back to Illinois for good BBQ [/sarcasm]

Seriously though lil' Porgy's is the best St. Louis style BBQ around there parts.

Hi Jeff! I'm based at KTIP (Rantoul, IL), but for airframe/annual issues use Image Air in Bloomington, IL (KBMI) and for avionics issues use Joliet Avionics (JA) in Aurora, IL (KARR). I have an Archer also and enjoy flying it very much. The husband and I just got back from a trip to the Bahamas last week and if you are checking out Image Air in the next couple of weeks, I might see you there. My plane needs an oil change.

Why not do it yourself and save some money? It's easier than changing the oil on your car.

I think Leslie and I'd be up for an IL get-together! She hasn't been flying in TOO LONG!

I've heard good things about JA for avionics and Poplar Grove Airmotive for engines in the Chicago area. For typical day-to-day maintenance around CMI, I don't have anything to offer.

Thanks everyone, I will check out some of those recommendations! I'm up for a fly-in sometime too.

OK... well, is anyone thinking of going to this Safety Seminar in a couple of weeks?? It's not exactly on the airport, so I was thinking of the best way to get there from KSPI, but it might be fun to get together and get Wings credits too.

"2011 National Safety Stand Down"
Topic: Causes of GA fatal accidents. Positive Flight Attitude, Going Beyond Preflight, Enroute Curse and Maneuvering Flight.
On Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 8:30 AM
2300 South Dirksen Parkway

Springfield, IL 62701

Select Number:
GL1937658

Description:
This year's FAASTeam Safety Standdown focuses on four areas that account for the majority of general aviation fatal accidents:

-- Positive Flight Attitude: Keeping Your Standards High
-- Going Beyond Preflight: Perfecting Your Preflight Inspection
-- Enroute Cruise: Are You On Cruise Control
-- Maneuvering Flight: Slow, Steady and Sure
To view further details and registration information for this seminar, click here.
The sponsor for this seminar is: Illinois FAASTeam
The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:
Basic Knowledge 1 1.00
Basic Knowledge 3 1.00
Basic Knowledge 2 1.00

We could all go and get pizza, BBQ, or Chinese food afterwards and then fly home! :D

Last edited:
OK... well, is anyone thinking of going to this Safety Seminar in a couple of weeks?? It's not exactly on the airport, so I was thinking of the best way to get there from KSPI, but it might be fun to get together and get Wings credits too.

"2011 National Safety Stand Down"
Topic: Causes of GA fatal accidents. Positive Flight Attitude, Going Beyond Preflight, Enroute Curse and Maneuvering Flight.
On Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 8:30 AM
2300 South Dirksen Parkway

Springfield, IL 62701

[snip]

Description:
This year's FAASTeam Safety Standdown focuses on four areas that account for the majority of general aviation fatal accidents:

-- Positive Flight Attitude: Keeping Your Standards High
-- Going Beyond Preflight: Perfecting Your Preflight Inspection
-- Enroute Cruise: Are You On Cruise Control
-- Maneuvering Flight: Slow, Steady and Sure
To view further details and registration information for this seminar, click here.

[snip]

We could all go and get pizza, BBQ, or Chinese food afterwards and then fly home! :D

KSPI is my home base. I was planning on going to this. I could transport 2 or 3 people to/from the airport if needed. There's also a seminar at KCMI next Saturday I'm hoping to go to.

I'd like to meet some neighboring pilots. :smile:

KSPI is my home base. I was planning on going to this. I could transport 2 or 3 people to/from the airport if needed. There's also a seminar at KCMI next Saturday I'm hoping to go to.

I'd like to meet some neighboring pilots. :smile:
They have the same safety standdown at Kishwaukee College in the far western burbs. Trying to decide if I'm going to go.

Same one here in Sparta on the 16th.

Back