Maine in June

gturner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GJ Turner
My wife and I are going to Maine June 11th through June 17th. Is anyone familiar with good aerial tour companies? I am presently working on my pre check ride hours with my instructor and should have completed my check ride by then but will not have enough hours to rent a plane on my own. We would like to see Katahdin and surrounding park. We have never been to Maine, so any suggestions are appreciated.
Gary

If you have your PPL by then, you will have enough hours to rent on your own at most places. Most anywhere you go, you'll have to pay for a checkout, but so far they've just been one hour dual flights to show I can fly the plane without breaking it.

That's one of the cool things about the PPL... you can go anywhere in the country and fly :)

Take a training flight up there with a CFI? That would get you some time in the log book and also give you the aerial tour that you want.

I can recommend Bar Harbor as a nice airport (BHB). I was in there in February to visit an old friend up the river. Don't know about training but the FBO looked pretty full service. They were friendly as well. Columbia Aviation.

The views into and out of BHB were wonderful.

Jim G

Well, Maine's a big state. Where are you planning on going? Kahtadins a nice view as is Mt. Kineo on Moosehead Lake. Cadillac Mountain in the Bar Harbor area is really nice as is Rockland, Castine, and the Wiscassett area. I understand that Summer is planned for the last week of July/first week of August which strangely parallels my vacation. After that, bring a parka.

gturner said:
My wife and I are going to Maine June 11th through June 17th. Is anyone familiar with good aerial tour companies? I am presently working on my pre check ride hours with my instructor and should have completed my check ride by then but will not have enough hours to rent a plane on my own. We would like to see Katahdin and surrounding park. We have never been to Maine, so any suggestions are appreciated.
Gary

Well if you can't rent, or don't want to do so and you are near Portland, Maine, then let me know. My brother flies out of there and I sure he would give you an aerial tour.

The seaplanes off the end of Moose Head Lake were cool, if there still there.
Talk about loading camping stuff onto an airplane- full length canoes, cases of drinks, etc. Seems like it took well over a mile to get off & then they flew out of sight in ground effect.

gturner said:
Gary

Back