magnetic water conditioners [NA]

Why does this remind me of those magnetic bracelets...

Let'sgoflying! said:

Scam. Every time.

The favorite quackery is when they say it "makes the molecules smaller" which is good trick when the definiton of a molecule is the smallest that the compund can be.

1 Molecule H2O = 2 Hydrogen atoms -+ 1 Oxygen atoms. Where do you see what to take away to make the molecule smaller?

Last edited:
mikea said:
Scam. Every time.

The favorite quackery is when they say it "makes the molecules smaller" which is good trick when the definiton of a molecule is the smallest that the compund can be.

1 Molecule H2O = 2 Hydrogen atoms -+ 1 Oxygen atoms. Where do you see what to take away to make the molecule smaller?

Where does it say "it makes the molecules smaller"?

..I say, save the magnets to put around your fuel line, so it can align the molecules in your gasoline and deliver 30% more power and use 60% less fuel...

How do you convince someone who is sure they work?
(I need an inexpensive scientific design)

Charinida said:
Why does this remind me of those magnetic bracelets...

And the unfortunate thing about this is... one of my coworkers uses these and swears that they work. All I can verify that it does is screw up the computer, unless that's just his computer illiteracy.:rolleyes:

Hey these devices are GREAT!

If you have magnetic water...

SCCutler said:
..I say, save the magnets to put around your fuel line, so it can align the molecules in your gasoline and deliver 30% more power and use 60% less fuel...

You're going to need that 60% more fuel to find your way back to an airport since your compass is hosed...

Hmmm....at first glance it doesn't seem too make any outrageous claims. I'd have to do some digging to see if Ca compound is affected by a magnetic field. It is affected by an electric field, and will carry a current. If the magnetic field generates a weak electric field, perhaps it could cause the ions in solution to align in a certain way.

I would be more willing to buy the idea if they said the water passed through an electric field as opposed to a magnetic one.

A little googling showed this:

Liburkin et al. (1986) found that magnetic treatment affected the structure of gypsum (calcium sulfate). Gypsum particles formed in magnetically treated water were found to be larger and "more regularly oriented" than those formed in ordinary water. Similarly, Kronenberg (1985) reported that magnetic treatment changed the mode of calcium carbonate precipitation such that circular disc-shaped particles are formed rather than the dendritic (branching or tree-like) particles observed in nontreated water. Others (e.g., Chechel and Annenkova 1972; Martynova et al. 1967) also have found that magnetic treatment affects the structure of subsequently precipitated solids. Because scale formation involves precipitation and crystallization, these studies imply that magnetic water treatment is likely to have an effect on the formation of scale.

http://www.csicop.org/si/9801/powell.html

Last edited:
I am thinking a Y in a copper pipe, run them a ways to physically separate them, then apply this person's magnets to one pipe only. Let water drip out of both at the same rate for a couple of months and then cross section the pipes, examine the interior. Semi-scientific.

Reading the rest of the article I linked to. Looks like sometimes there may have been less scale, and sometimes no difference.

What actually seems to do the trick is agitation. Won't change the hardness of the water, but will slow/stop buildups.

Back