Magazine Question

I didn't find it that helpful...they advertise 3 free issues and I only got 2 and now I'm getting all kind of renewal notices...if they sent the 3 I would consider getting it but it's more a pamphlet then a magazine.

Now that Jeff Van West has left the magazine as editor late last year, the new editor Frank Bowlin hasn't really stepped up to the plate in my opinion. The guy who now writes their weather pieces isn't even a pilot. It used to be one of the best magazines for instrument pilots, but I'm definitely not recommending it.

If I remember your sentiment correctly, that's about par for the course.:D

Now that Jeff Van West has left the magazine as editor late last year, the new editor Frank Bowlin hasn't really stepped up to the plate in my opinion. The guy who now writes their weather pieces isn't even a pilot. It used to be one of the best magazines for instrument pilots, but I'm definitely not recommending it.

Scott, do you have a recommendation for other periodicals covering this space?

I guess I am in the minority. I get it and like it, but then again only got my IFR last August so I may be in the category of its good for a year or two then repetitive. Only time will tell.

I used to have IFR mag but I like IFR Refresher better. Covers real world stuff and has excellents quizzes in the back.

I found it useful for the first couple of years of instrument flying. Learned a lot. Then it started getting repetitive.

Most magazines are on a three year cycle in which they repeat with updates the stories about the key subjects (not by the same author and not merely a reprint, but a new article on the same subject.)

That's why after three years, many aviation magazines begin to sound repetitive, because they are: winter flying, night flying, avoiding the dangers of summer thunderstorms, mountain flying, how to reduce the cost of an annual, buying or renting, sole owner or partnership, etc.

Definitely helpful. I was a subscriber when it consisted of two sheets of green paper...it has grown significantly since then. Very good hands-on information/advice from pilots that operate in the system and know a few tricks.

Bob Gardner

Most magazines are on a three year cycle in which they repeat with updates the stories about the key subjects (not by the same author and not merely a reprint, but a new article on the same subject.)

That's why after three years, many aviation magazines begin to sound repetitive, because they are: winter flying, night flying, avoiding the dangers of summer thunderstorms, mountain flying, how to reduce the cost of an annual, buying or renting, sole owner or partnership, etc.

Right. There will always be a population of pilots new to a subject who need to be educated on things that are old-hat to the rest of us.

Bob Gardner

I subscribe to IFR and Flight Safety and recommend them both for their technical content. Just yesterday I looked up an article in IFR from the January '13 edition to remember how to file a flight plan with a lat/lon waypoint. For pleasure I also subscribe to Flying (miss Bax Seat) and Plane & Pilot.

IFR like many of the other Belvoir magazines has the misfortune of drawing from a very narrow but quite good pool of contributors. The problem is using the same writers means they tend into repetition. After enough of the "I heard this story before" I let my subscription lapse for a few years.

IFR Refresher on the other hand has never been my cup of tea, especially during the ahorrant editorship they had a few years back where the articles went from the incredibly over simplistic to the OUTRIGHT DANGEROUSLY INCORRECT. It's one of the few times I've been inclined to write a letter of protest and cancel my subscription.

I think that you have very succinctly defined the problem a lot of people have with aviation magazines in general. They complain about the new planes as not being affordable, not wanting to read about turbines or $1 million dollar Barons, tired of Cirrus articles, there ain't much left to write about in such a narrow field. :dunno: After you cover Garmin's latest offering and compared it against the promised new avionics from other manufacturers, that covers the avionics portion for 12-24 months. What can they write about engines? That they haven't changed substantially in 50+ years?:dunno:
Aviation, especially general aviation doesn't change much, IFR flying hasn't changed in the 20 or so years since I got my IR, with the exception of GPS approaches.:dunno:

Back