Mag drop

One of the side-effects of the "dumbing-down" of our society (in my view) is a lack of appreciation of what's called classical beauty in "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

I don't expect folks to become techs or engineers, but I think they'd be happier and treat their possessions better if they could appreciate the precision and the quality of things manufactured today. I frequently take a moment to marvel at my 2001 Subaru Forester - 128,000 miles, no leaks, nothing except tires/brakes and scheduled items, and it was relatively inexpensive. Compare that to cars made twenty or thirty years ago. I'm similarly impressed by what I see in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft.

One of the side-effects of the "dumbing-down" of our society (in my view) is a lack of appreciation of what's called classical beauty in "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

I don't expect folks to become techs or engineers, but I think they'd be happier and treat their possessions better if they could appreciate the precision and the quality of things manufactured today. I frequently take a moment to marvel at my 2001 Subaru Forester - 128,000 miles, no leaks, nothing except tires/brakes and scheduled items, and it was relatively inexpensive. Compare that to cars made twenty or thirty years ago. I'm similarly impressed by what I see in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft.

I think it's the manufacturers responding to customer needs.

While my 2001 Yamaha FZ1 is a PITA to work on (beyond plugs and oil change), I wouldn't trade it for 100 1983 Suzuki GS450s.

While maintenance was easier on those earlier bikes, it had to be -- if you wanted to go anywhere.

It was also easy to work on my 1966 Pontiac Tempest -- but I worked on it all the time.

My Honda Accord needs an oil change and some window washer stuff every so often.

I like that.:)

Last edited:
You betcha. We cater to people who know what the hell they are doing. We spend HOURS on the phone helping folks who want to help themselves.

I consider it a violation of this ng standards to post a URL without any other considerations.

NG moderators, what say you?

Jim
If you wish to complain about a particular post as a violation of the Rules of Condct, please use the bad post button
report.gif
. Include in your bad post report the citation of the rules you feel have been violated. The management council will review report and determine what, if any, action is warranted.

Last edited:
Ron,

An "I got it, thanks" from an MC member would help those of us who DID alert the MC that the problem is being addressed. As it is, the silence is deafening. I sent in a notification yesterday.

Thanks!

When you file a bad post report, a new thread is generated in our Disciplinary forum, and emails are sent to all the MC members regarding the same.

Trust us - when you file it, we get it.

You may or may not get notification regarding our action - more than likely, you will not because it is against our policy to discuss disciplinary action with anyone other than the MC or the person being disciplined.

When you file a bad post report, a new thread is generated in our Disciplinary forum, and emails are sent to all the MC members regarding the same.

Trust us - when you file it, we get it.

You may or may not get notification regarding our action - more than likely, you will not because it is against our policy to discuss disciplinary action with anyone other than the MC or the person being disciplined.

I don't need to know what you do about it, but I WOULD like a receipt. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

Whenever anyone starts a sentence with "Trust us..." I'm immediately skeptical, particularly when what they're saying is "Trust our automated process".

I don't need to know what you do about it, but I WOULD like a receipt. Shouldn't be that hard to do.
Right now, the only way to do that is for the first MC'er who sees your report to manually send a PM and note in the file that the receipt was sent. There's a limit to how much effort we're willing to go to as MC members.
Whenever anyone starts a sentence with "Trust us..." I'm immediately skeptical, particularly when what they're saying is "Trust our automated process".
"Your lack of faith is disturbing." - D. Vader (long, long ago and far, far away). You remember what happened to the person to whom he said that?

Tim,

The forum tells you that your bad post report has been submitted. I'm afraid that's the only receipt you can get w/o code modifications.

I'd like it to be more informative - but it is what it is.

Your lack of faith is disturbing." - D. Vader (long, long ago and far, far away). You remember what happened to the person to whom he said that?

Yep, but you will remember what happened to Mr. Vader, and the empire, and such, eventually?

Actually, I don't remember GETTING the "your notification" response when I posted. Let me go test it one more time.

EDIT: I send the report, and I don't get ANYTHING except sent back to the forum. So Chuck, if it's supposed to tell me something, it isn't doing it.

Last edited:
EDIT: I send the report, and I don't get ANYTHING except sent back to the forum. So Chuck, if it's supposed to tell me something, it isn't doing it.
I noticed that on something in the past when reporting spam.

Hmm - I never report it so I could be mistaken.

But if you hit send, and it doesn't give you an error and you return to the forums, then it was sent. Please stop testing it now, because we don't need our email boxes filling up.

I just tested the one time, Chuck, so hopefully your boxes won't get filled. I did get a PM from Bill, so I know that it did go through. Anyway, we now have a better idea of how the notification system works .

Wasn't trying to imply that you were abusing it, Tim - just didn't want everyone else to "try it just one time" to see what happened.

Thanks everyone - wow a lot sure did get posted since I last posted at 6 pm last night.

I did go out and clean / re-gap my plugs last night. Durning the runup I tried three different mag checks and the first was 100/75, second 75/50 and then 100/75 again.

My plugs are < 100 hrs old but these up and down drops just bug me. I'll get it checked out.

Thanks again for the constructive replies.

Allan Lindsay

Thanks everyone - wow a lot sure did get posted since I last posted at 6 pm last night.

I did go out and clean / re-gap my plugs last night. Durning the runup I tried three different mag checks and the first was 100/75, second 75/50 and then 100/75 again.

My plugs are < 100 hrs old but these up and down drops just bug me. I'll get it checked out.

Thanks again for the constructive replies.

Allan Lindsay

Try fooling with the mixture a little during the runup. In the summer, higher density altitude make the mixture so rich at runup RPM that the mag drops can get pretty big.

Dan

While my 2001 Yamaha FZ1 is a PITA to work on (beyond plugs and oil change), I wouldn't trade it for 100 1983 Suzuki GS450s.

While maintenance was easier on those earlier bikes, it had to be -- if you wanted to go anywhere.

It was also easy to work on my 1966 Pontiac Tempest -- but I worked on it all the time.

My Honda Accord needs an oil change and some window washer stuff every so often.

I like that.:)

Hey! My 81 Suzuki GS450E ran great for some 37000 miles:D! Then the engine from a nearly new GS450L stretched the bike to about 70000 miles before it just became too old and decrepit to maintain. Hardly ever did anything to the engines, just occasional oil/filter changes, carb synch, and valve lash adjust.B) (Oh, and chain, and brakes, and fork gas pressure, and...)

And boy, was it a hoot to ride, especially after I shod it with Metzelers, and put a fork brace on it...

But, yeah, zen and the art of... it really is important to at least have an idea what all those whirring thingies are, just so's you don't get ripped off.

Hey! My 81 Suzuki GS450E ran great for some 37000 miles:D! Then the engine from a nearly new GS450L stretched the bike to about 70000 miles before it just became too old and decrepit to maintain. Hardly ever did anything to the engines, just occasional oil/filter changes, carb synch, and valve lash adjust.B)

You're kidding --- I know they built shiploads of those bikes, but haven't encounter too many others willing to admit they had one!:redface:

Have you been on a bike made in the last 10 years??

The confidence in twisties alone is enough to make you wonder how we stayed upright back then!!:eek:

God Dammit, you haven't "had the time to get an A&P involved" and "haven't dug through the logs for the mag hrs" you come on here and waste our time with wild ass guessing as to your problem?

Sonny, when you do YOUR work, we'll do ours. Until then, go away.

Jim

Jim,

Part of the reason for putting questions here before getting the A&P involved is so that we have some ideas as to where to look. For example, my C182 fuel system thread. I want to not only improve my own knowledge, but also know what to tell the A&P I want him to look at first. A good A&P will know, but I don't have the luxury of being at a small-town airport where I know a good A&P on the field - When our planes go in for mx, it may well be some kid fresh out of A&P school who will throw parts at it until it's fixed. Since the problem posted in this thread is still within tolerances to fly, I think the OP wanted some indication of whether this is even a problem that needs to be looked at by an A&P or is something he can solve himself.

And please, have some patience and don't fly off the handle. This is the front porch of aviation, after all. Grab a beer, talk flying.

Back