Madae the Flight to SERFI

OH Flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
G^2

Here's a quick little EAA 1252 article about my trip to SERFI. I haven't seen any other reports from the event so here's mine.

Never Been to Alabama

Early October and who could ask for better weather. By all forecasts, this is going to be an aviation weekend. The question is where to go to really enjoy this wonderful fall weekend. So off to the EAA web page where I find the regional fly in site and find an interesting destination, Evergreen, Alabama, (KGZH) site of the South Eastern Regional Fly In (SERFI). It’s a whopping 662 nautical from 1G1 and 4:45 planned flight hours. Gallons of fuel, I don’t even want to know. The tent is packed and I’m ready for a predawn departure. The plan is to stay overnight in Alabama and return Sunday.

Arriving at Elyria, I find the thinnest wisp of fog lying over the airport. Walking the runway, I can see through the mist to the clear skies beyond. Finally the morning sun breaks through and the local skies are open. I launch into blue skies and as I start to head south, it’s VFR on top. It up to 10,500 feet, oxygen flowing, and some great winds from the north east that yield 170 + knots to Evergreen.

Time passes and I am prepared for the published arrival procedure. I begin to pick up the chatter of multiple arrivals, seems the great weather has brought everyone to SERFI. Landing on 10, turn to taxi to the ramp. The field is full of brightly painted aircraft enjoying the sun and showing off their brilliant colors.

Securing the aircraft, I’m ready for the show, except several people come up ask to take a picture of me with 398SA, TB20’s must be a bit rare on the field. I begin to walk the show and find some amazing aircraft, like a 1949 Bonanza that looked like it just came off the show room floor. Warbird trainers are the hit of the show, with flight demonstrations and plenty of stories about their aircraft.

In the experimental aircraft parking, exquisite examples of various Vans RV’s were on the ramp as were Pitts, Starduster Biplanes, Glass Aire, and Zenith. The building spirit is alive and growing in the south.

As the afternoon went on, the airport closed and the various aircraft made demonstration flights. First time I ever saw and old Fairchild Trainer or a Hummel Bird fly. Nothing real fancy, just down home flying in unique aircraft for all to see.

There weren’t a lot of options for dinner on the field, and the campground had filled on Friday and early Saturday, so I was left with a decision. Do I stay and look for camping and food, and you know how I do love food. Or, do I fly to Melrose and meet John for the afternoon, flying home Sunday, or do I head north quick as a bunny and spend Sunday with Deb? Easy decision so after the airport opened, I’m back in the aircraft, headed for 1G1 except now the winds are against me. Using the Garmin 496 winds aloft page, I start out at 5,500 feet and less than 120 knots. I begin to understand the 496 wind charting and determine the winds are more favorable lower, so it down to 2,900 and 130’s. As I continue north, the winds switch and I am up to 5,500 and 150 knots. The sun is setting a bit after 19:00 and my ETA is 21:30 so this will definitely be a night landing. I am not overly concerned, I know the moon will be just about full and the night sky will be all alight. My second option is Lorain County if Elyria is just to tight.

Passing Lexington and the sun is set, the sky is surprisingly bright for an extended period as the sunlight continues to slip over the horizon and light the sky. With the cooling air, the flight becomes extremely smooth. Soon I am over the top of Columbus, all lit up, I see OSU Stadium, now empty. Next, it’s Mansfield and time to get down below the Class B airspace of Cleveland.

I pick up the automated weather from Lorain and identify the rotating beacon of the 1G1. A welcome friend. Wow, the airport looks small and dimly lit, lets be sharp now, by the book. Gumps check complete, landing lights on, now it’s a standard approach for 9, fly it like you do every other time. Midfield crosswind to downwind, keep the lights of the field in sight. Looking for the runway end identifier lights, make your turn to base, continuing your stabilized descent. Most ground references are lost now in the inky darkness. There’s the runway, now watch your speed turning to final and it’s down over the trees. Keep centered with the runway lights, full flaps and I am descending over the runway end identifiers, the hard surface is approaching. Power off, a bit of backpressure to flare and I’m down and stopped. Taxi light on, fuel pump off, flaps up, time to get off the runway.

Under the Saturday moonlight, I taxi over to the hanger to put my little bird away and call Deb to let her know I am back. Great southern hospitality and a spectacular day and night of flying. Total trip for a Saturday Fly In, 1,340 nautical miles 10.1 all hrs in the aircraft including two stops for fuel and no, I still do not want to know how many gallons.

So what’s up for next weekend, any Ideas? Lets talk on Friday. Anybody up for some Texas barbecue?

Fly Safe.

Gary Gembala

Attachments

• IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3012.jpg
    IMG_3012.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3010.jpg
    IMG_3010.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 7