MacBook Air Internet Problem

LevelWing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LevelWing
My MacBook Air doesn't seem to like to load webpages. I've tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome. It connects to the network without any issues but doesn't load webpages very often. Sometimes it loads pages without an issues and then just stops. It's a nightmare trying to go through the IFR training videos since it doesn't load consistently enough to actually work.

The other devices in the house work just fine and don't share the issue. This includes two iPhones and an iPad. I've tried the usual like resetting the computer and router. I've cleared the caches. I've even messed with the network settings and created another connection basically.

If it means anything, I have an Arris DG 860 router that came with the cable internet.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Your Mac isn't getting the required DNS settings for one reason or another. I don't know how to tell you how to fix it as I'm not a Mac user. I could tell you to trade up to a Windows based machine but I don't want to stop the internet with the volume of hate mail one would receive with such a statement.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found this link which I think may have solved the problem, but time will tell for sure. A DNS issue sounds right since I could load websites via IP but if they loaded via the domain name they would either load incredibly slowly or not at all. Hopefully this works and the problem is solved.

My MacBook Air doesn't seem to like to load webpages. I've tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome. It connects to the network without any issues but doesn't load webpages very often. Sometimes it loads pages without an issues and then just stops. It's a nightmare trying to go through the IFR training videos since it doesn't load consistently enough to actually work.

The other devices in the house work just fine and don't share the issue. This includes two iPhones and an iPad. I've tried the usual like resetting the computer and router. I've cleared the caches. I've even messed with the network settings and created another connection basically.

If it means anything, I have an Arris DG 860 router that came with the cable internet.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I've had the same issue pop up recently. Tried this yesterday.

https://support.opendns.com/entries/58244194-OSX-Yosemite

Seems to have helped, but haven't spent that much time on the machine to see if it is resolved.

Gary

I agree it sounds like DNS. Sometimes your internet service provider can get flakey and it appears you have no connectivity. Id recommend addressing the problem using your wireless router and not on the MacBook itself. This will address the issue for the entire house rather than only the MacBook.

Your wireless router probably has an IP of something like 192.168.1.1 or perhaps 192.168.2.1 Type that into your browser and log in to the router. Find the option for DNS - it may be under the WAN settings. By default it's probably greyed out and set to automatic. Try enabling the setting and using the following Google DNS IPs 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 Save and reboot the router. You should see increased performance.

Hopefully that helps you. Good luck with your training!

Last edited:
Back