MAC Heaven

I really think we are about to see a new Mac revolution in the next 5 years. Being that they are making them as cross compatible. I think if they introduce a new operating system that worked the same as their current ones do at the same time with some of the features that windows has now they would be set.

Frank Browne said:
Ouch. That's what I like most about MacOSX. It's not windows.

Agreed,

They just need to transition people somehow, otherwise people are just to set in their ways.

Darrell111 said:
I really think we are about to see a new Mac revolution in the next 5 years. Being that they are making them as cross compatible. I think if they introduce a new operating system that worked the same as their current ones do at the same time with some of the features that windows has now they would be set.
FEATURE? Name a feature Windows has over OS X, other than it runs something that only runs on Windows, or it's the OS I know.

Remember I now have two each of both.

I can't think of a single "feature" that isn't easier to deal with on Mac. The Mac finder is not all that great, but it's just as not all that great as Windows Explorer.

mikea said:
FEATURE? Name a feature Windows has over OS X, other than it runs something that only runs on Windows, or it's the OS I know.

Remember I now have two each of both.

I can't think of a single "feature" that isn't easier to deal with on Mac. The Mac finder is not all that great, but it's just as not all that great as Windows Explorer.
A good 90% or more of the market place along with similar amounts of software. MAC is just another lookalike.
When asked why Windows doesn't run MAC software, it's easy to answer. "Why Bother!"

2 good features:

1) I can build a Windows computer the way I want it, and guaranteed I can make it more powerful than a Mac and for much less money. Last I checked, you cannot home build a Mac.

2) No offense, but I've never heard anyone get all whiney preachy about Windows and cease to function because someone insulted his computer.

mikea said:
FEATURE? Name a feature Windows has over OS X<snip>

From a pure OS-to-OS perspective, I think your system of choice is really what you make it... So it's a toss-up in my estimation.

The one thing that occurs to me -- although I don't know if you'd call it a "feature" per se -- is enterprise management... Active Directory and Group Policy and SMS and MOM and SUS and etc. etc. all provide enterprise admins with a lot of control over their environment, to a degree that I just don't think is possible with Macs. And all those tools are (er, more or less) turn-key type solutions with good support, documentation and so-on. Personal opinion here, but if you're talking about a large user environment (say, 1000+ users), I just think it'd be a big mistake to recommend Mac enterprise-wide, for normal personal computing purposes. Macs could get there, and for sure they'll always have a solid, appropriate niche, but for enterprise end-user computing, Windows wins hands down.

larrysb said:
Of course, one wonders, how Apple, with tens of thousands of users within its own enterprise, manages to function enterprise wide. :D
Well, there's stuff like Kerberous, NIS and LDAP, which I was managing about 15 years before it was invented by Microsoft. When I got the job running the corporate network at the HQ of a Fortune 100 company, we used an NDS directory. Ditto on that.

It was later when it was decied we were doing it all wrong using standard lightweight stuff that worked and scaled, so tehy went and bought 1000 copies of NT becasue of corse you need the dedicated server for the printing needs of the left handed people on the odd side of the even numbered floors with the appropraite others til fill in teh othger gaps. When I pointed out that we were switching to this because one server could do all things...

ReverendSlappy said:
From a pure OS-to-OS perspective, I think your system of choice is really what you make it... So it's a toss-up in my estimation.

The one thing that occurs to me -- although I don't know if you'd call it a "feature" per se -- is enterprise management... Active Directory and Group Policy and SMS and MOM and SUS and etc. etc. all provide enterprise admins with a lot of control over their environment, to a degree that I just don't think is possible with Macs. And all those tools are (er, more or less) turn-key type solutions with good support, documentation and so-on. Personal opinion here, but if you're talking about a large user environment (say, 1000+ users), I just think it'd be a big mistake to recommend Mac enterprise-wide, for normal personal computing purposes. Macs could get there, and for sure they'll always have a solid, appropriate niche, but for enterprise end-user computing, Windows wins hands down.

That is a function of the (hijacking of) the marketplace, and not some limiting factor of the Mac architecture.

I think that XP 5.1 is actually an outstanding operating system. But how many years did it take MS to get here, finally?!? How many bug-ridden, screen-freezing, computer-crashing years?!?

Apple had it right all that time, and its still getting better.

Now, their prices...that's where they need improvement.

Darrell111 said:

Huh? What does Windows do that a Mac can't? :dunno:

(Besides run all the viruses and spyware! :rofl:)

alaskaflyer said:
Now, their prices...that's where they need improvement.

But you forget that when you purchase a Mac, it comes preloaded with a lot of good software, such as MS Office for Mac, iLife, GarageBand, etc.

As for hardware, I priced Dell and Mac 30" LCDs (They both contain the same LCD screen, just different backlighting and processing), and the price came within 100$ of each other. Of course, I'd still prefer the Mac 30", as the colors tend to be more vibrant and less washed out than the Dell.

flyingcheesehead said:
Huh? What does Windows do that a Mac can't? :dunno:

(Besides run all the viruses and spyware! :rofl:)

Actually, with Bootcamp, now it can! :yes: :rofl:

wbarnhill said:
Of course, I'd still prefer the Mac 30", as the colors tend to be more vibrant and less washed out than the Dell.
What happens if you hook the Dell monitor up to a Mac?

Brian Austin said:
What happens if you hook the Dell monitor up to a Mac?

I think it'd appear the same way as on a PC, I think the vibrant issue is that Dell put a stronger backlight to raise the contrast ratio, but I could be wrong.

But in all seriousness, I'd take either ;)

larrysb said:
It lights up just the same. A DVI connector is a DVI connector.
But a video card is not necessarily the same. Drivers have an effect, too. And the same LCD panel can have backlight differences (as was noted).

wbarnhill said:
But you forget that when you purchase a Mac, it comes preloaded with a lot of good software, such as MS Office for Mac, iLife, GarageBand, etc.

The MS Office that's preloaded on new Macs is the "Test Drive" version, not a full version. I think it works for 30 days and then squawks at you to buy it repeatedly. (Yes, I worded it that way on purpose. ;))

flyingcheesehead said:
The MS Office that's preloaded on new Macs is the "Test Drive" version, not a full version. I think it works for 30 days and then squawks at you to buy it repeatedly. (Yes, I worded it that way on purpose. ;))
I think it stops working after the trial period. That's a real shame considering Mac OS ships set so .doc and .rtf files open in Office.

Hey, it only costs $400 ($350 street) for the standard and $700 for the pro version. So if you save a file in Office format you can't open it again in any program the Mac ships with. Of course you can download NeoOffice for free if you knew that.

Removing MS Office is the first thing ta do.

Back