MA pilot lands Mooney straight ahead on golf course

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
He made a clear decision to avoid "the impossible turn"

His choices: bank and turn back to the airport and risk certain death, he said, or “try to land straight ahead, as I’ve been taught.”
His instructors would be proud.
Right in front of him was the fairway of the Norwood Country Club’s 12th hole, just a chip shot away from the runway. Wilkinson said he lined up his approach and stuck it.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=136515

i read on another forum that power was lost somewhere around 100 AGL. The real dangerous place to lose one is 400-600 AGL i think. In the area where you might be able to make it. Below that there is no decision to make. You are going straight ahead, will be on the ground before you have time to think about turning back.

I read this article in the paper today. it was actually well written. Glad the guy is ok.
I wonder what the penalty is for "golf ball embedded beneath plane that has done emergency landing on fairway"
probably rule 14-a-iii-2 or something.
Golf rules are almost as hard to read as the freakin FARs.

deafsound said:
I read this article in the paper today. it was actually well written. Glad the guy is ok.
I wonder what the penalty is for "golf ball embedded beneath plane that has done emergency landing on fairway"
probably rule 14-a-iii-2 or something.
Golf rules are almost as hard to read as the freakin FARs.

I think you take a drop off the wing nearest the hole, but there is no stroke penalty. :D

MSmith said:
I think you take a drop off the wing nearest the hole, but there is no stroke penalty. :D

probably no nearer the hole. no stroke penalty. man made obstruction.

deafsound said:
probably no nearer the hole. no stroke penalty. man made obstruction.
but first you have to get the ball to make sure its yours. That will take a day or so.

JRitt said:
but first you have to get the ball to make sure its yours. That will take a day or so.

shoot, you're right. you'd probably go outside the 5 minute rule looking for your ball anyway and have to take a drop as a lost ball.

8958095_240X180.jpg

this guy was pretty lucky he lost his engine early. the wx was around 400/2 around 8am yesterday.
how awful would it be to enter the clouds and lose an enigine?

Back