M20C comparable experimental

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
Are there any experimentals that would be comparable to a mooney m20c? and possibility in the same price range?

Not really. In general I would that a go fast e/ab with as cramped a cabin as a mooney should be faster.

LOL. NOPE on both counts. Otherwise I would have IT instead of a Piper Arrow. Welcome to the 4-seater market. It's like Hotel California. You can check out, but you can never leave. The only way you'll ever find a comparable experimental to the M20/PA28R/C172/77/82/RG is when they make those airplanes owner-experimental.

I share your dream. It is just that though, a dream. Van's will never make an affordable fully depreciated experimental Grumman Tiger. Old rich people don't need 4 seats.

Last edited:
If you really need the back seats then no. If ,like me, you mostly use the back seats for luggage, there are plenty that might be suitable, though I don't know that you could land one at that price point.

If you want a comparable aircraft you have to increase your price point.

Piston 4 seater, you have the white lighting, considerably faster then the mooney though

InFlight%20Duo.jpg

Turbine you have the lance evolution
evolution2.jpg

Last edited:
The WL is sex with wings.

How about a 2 seater with decent storage

Depends exactly what you mean by "decent storage".

The Glasair Sportsman can handle an impressive 37 cu ft and up to 300 lbs of baggage.

The RVs can handle a fair amount of baggage too, as long as you stay within the W&B constraints.

The RV-8 (tandem) has two baggage compartments, one up front between the firewall and instrument panel, and another behind the rear seat. This lets you load a mix of heavy and light stuff to help keep your CG where you want it. I've loaded a surprisingly large amount of camping gear in an RV-8 before.

The RV 6/7/9 side-by-sides have pretty good sized baggage areas too.

The new RV-14 has a "bubba-sized" baggage compartment even bigger than the 6/7/9.

Piston 4 seater, you have the white lighting, considerably faster then the mooney though

InFlight%20Duo.jpg

Turbine you have the lance evolution
evolution2.jpg

Considering the only WL on the market I know if is about 100k more than an old Mooney and he Evolution is, well its a turbine...

So no, there isn't really

So no, there isn't really

If you consider a 200kts fiberglass copy of a Piper Comanche to be an M20C comparable experimental... there's still the Ravin 500. It's a little faster than an M20C, but will burn a *lot* more gas since it's typically powered with an IO-540. It'll also cost a lot more to build that a vintage Mooney sells for used.

It'll also cost a lot more to build that a vintage Mooney sells for used.

And that is the rub, we are trying to replace a rather inexpensive airplane, not easy.

An M20M? Sure that's possible, but a C? Cost wise it is really hard to beat an older certificated bird for many of the more common missions, they are just so cheap!

Are varieze around still? haven't seen any

Yeah, still a bunch of them out there. Longeze is a much better alternative for 10-15 grand more. Even then you're not looking at hauling much though.

Are there any experimentals that would be comparable to a mooney m20c? and possibility in the same price range?

Almost nothing, since Wikipedia says the M20C was made between 1962 and 1978. Not many used experimentals for sale that are that old. A 2013 experimental that would have comparable speed, payload, and range would be 35 to 51 years newer.

A quick browse of M20Cs seems to show current asking prices of ~$45k +/-$10k.

A budget of about twice that (~$90k) puts you into the range of used experimentals less than 10 years old that might satisfy your requirements, as others have already posted. They would all be fixed gear and in theory be cheaper to maintain and fly.

GLASAIR 1-RG. A&P IA BUILT! • $52,500 • CHECK IT OUT • Trust an experimental built by an A&P IA. And what performance! Flown from 2160 ft runway. Approach at 75-80 mph, stall at 63! Easy to transition to and it's a fuel efficient speedster: 195 MPH on 6.7 GPH (29 MPG). Capable of 215+ MPH in level flight. A&P maintained, Complete logbooks. 1465 hour well-proven airframe. Desirable Lycoming fuel injected IO-320, ~ 915 SOH, good compression, oil analysis. C/S Hartzell 240 SPOH. Garmin GNC300XL IFR GPS coupled to STEC 40 autopilot. EFIS with fuel flow, 4 CHT and 4 EGT. Standard and extended wingtips. Elec. flaps. Selling due to growth in family. • Contact Luke Helm, Owner - located Fallbrook, CA USA • Telephone: 760-576-5540 . • Posted August 23, 2013 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures

This would do it, but with two seats. Plenty of baggage

Al Mooney sought to build the perfect airplane.... 60 years later it's apparent that he did a pretty good job. :D

I consider my c model a 3 seater. The back seats are cramped, and my useful load limits full fuel and 4 regular sized people. An f model would be better for passengers, but I love my c model. Mostly me and my wife using it, so it suits my needs. We just flew to kennesaw and back averaging 145-155 knots and burning 19 gallons for just a touch under 2 hrs.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N6099Q/history/20130823/1235Z/KPXE/KRYY

Last edited:
My mission is usually 1 other person plus bags and dog.

Al Mooney sought to build the perfect airplane.... 60 years later it's apparent that he did a pretty good job. :D

Which explains why their order backlog is so long and they're so successful and thriving these days.

Which explains why their order backlog is so long and they're so successful and thriving these days.

They tried to diversify beyond the M20 airframe with the M22 and M30 but ultimately failed. Maybe they were TOO innovative.

GLASAIR 1-RG. A&P IA BUILT! • $52,500 • CHECK IT OUT • Trust an experimental built by an A&P IA. And what performance! Flown from 2160 ft runway. Approach at 75-80 mph, stall at 63! Easy to transition to and it's a fuel efficient speedster: 195 MPH on 6.7 GPH (29 MPG). Capable of 215+ MPH in level flight. A&P maintained, Complete logbooks. 1465 hour well-proven airframe. Desirable Lycoming fuel injected IO-320, ~ 915 SOH, good compression, oil analysis. C/S Hartzell 240 SPOH. Garmin GNC300XL IFR GPS coupled to STEC 40 autopilot. EFIS with fuel flow, 4 CHT and 4 EGT. Standard and extended wingtips. Elec. flaps. Selling due to growth in family. • Contact Luke Helm, Owner - located Fallbrook, CA USA • Telephone: 760-576-5540 . • Posted August 23, 2013 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures

This would do it, but with two seats. Plenty of baggage

A&P built planes tend to have a poor flow as far a cockpit layout goes in my experience.

They did not make it because everything was hand built and took a lot longer than your typical spam can.

They did not make it because everything was hand built and took a lot longer than your typical spam can.

Mooney is still around and in the parts business to the tune of ~$1.5 million of revenue a year. They are actively looking for ways to get back into production.

Four people onboard... think this plane is overgross?

6878_647144365299531_1056969540_n.jpg

Depends, even with full 52 gallons my C can carry 677 pounds. Leave 10 or 15 gallons off and I have indeed carried 4 adults at 142kts burning 8.7 GPH cruising between 7-11K. Enough for 550 miles with reserves.

Mooney is still around and in the parts business to the tune of ~$1.5 million of revenue a year. They are actively looking for ways to get back into production.

At 1.5 mil in revenue per year, they're going to need to do more than look.

Back