Lycoming Stuck Ring?

The oil control ring does two things. I carries oil and distributes it to the cylinder wall and it prevents oil from being drawn into the combustion side during the intake cycle.

A broken oil ring will result in two things, oil will be drawn into the combustion side during the intake cycle and subsequently burned resulting in higher oil consumption and lubrication of the cylinder wall will be compromised resulting in wear and subsequent failure of the cylinder.

A broken oil ring will not cause leak down during a differential compression test and it will not cause blow-by out the crankcase vent.

There is absolutely no possible way that a piece of broken oil control ring can become "lodged" between the cylinder wall and a compression ring.

This thread is laughable but not quite as much as the taildragger thread that morphed into a Wankle engine tiff :rofl:

The oil control ring does two things. I carries oil and distributes it to the cylinder wall and it prevents oil from being drawn into the combustion side during the intake cycle.

A broken oil ring will result in two things, oil will be drawn into the combustion side during the intake cycle and subsequently burned resulting in higher oil consumption and lubrication of the cylinder wall will be compromised resulting in wear and subsequent failure of the cylinder.

A broken oil ring will not cause leak down during a differential compression test and it will not cause blow-by out the crankcase vent.

So in this case, you don't have the plug fouling, coking on valves or any borescope evidence in a suspect cylinder that would go with an oil ring failure, and you don't have compression leaks that would pressurize the crankcase and blow the oil out the breather.

Care to contribute a theory that might help Alex?

So here is today's update. I took it out and flew it full power to 10k (I was in the Bravo, so that's all I could get). Came back and the mechanics de-cowled it and compression tested it. I watched and checked all the numbers. The cylinder is now a 100% 74/80. NO oil on the belly or breather tube. With the oil fill open you could hear just a slight amount of air, almost nothing. Plugs were still perfect as we're all engine indications in flight. I'm going to go put about 8-10 more hours on it to be sure, but so far all appears well. If not I will update again.

I hope this helps save someone some money.

I can tell you that MMO did bring my completely dead weed-whacker back to life. If it's snake oil then apparently snake oil is good for something.

Glad to hear that it worked out for the cheap solution, at least for now. We'll see how it does after another 10 hours or so, but if it worked this time, it'll probably keep working, at least for the time being.

Sometimes, you do get the bear....glad it worked out for you.

So here is today's update. I took it out and flew it full power to 10k (I was in the Bravo, so that's all I could get). Came back and the mechanics de-cowled it and compression tested it. I watched and checked all the numbers. The cylinder is now a 100% 74/80. NO oil on the belly or breather tube. With the oil fill open you could hear just a slight amount of air, almost nothing. Plugs were still perfect as we're all engine indications in flight. I'm going to go put about 8-10 more hours on it to be sure, but so far all appears well. If not I will update again.

I hope this helps save someone some money.

But unless I missed something, you didn't say what procedure you did to "fix" it. As somebody said, they don't fix themselves, so of the half dozen suggestions floated about this thread, which one did you do?

Jim

But unless I missed something, you didn't say what procedure you did to "fix" it. As somebody said, they don't fix themselves, so of the half dozen suggestions floated about this thread, which one did you do?

Jim

You can't fix some thing that wasn't broke.

Back