Lycoming injector nozzle disassembly?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Do y'all take the shroud and screen off the NA nozzles (p/n 74151) to clean them? I cleaned my nozzles with Hoppe's #9 and they look good but I did not take them apart except one that came apart on its own. I think these are the older nozzles with the fixed restrictor.

Do y'all take the shroud and screen off the NA nozzles (p/n 74151) to clean them? I cleaned my nozzles with Hoppe's #9 and they look good but I did not take them apart except one that came apart on its own. I think these are the older nozzles with the fixed restrictor.

The Continental guy warned us this week that Hoppes is bad stuff to clean injectors with. Hoppes was designed to clean metal residue out of rifle bores, including copper left by jacketed bullets. Since that brass injector is made mostly of copper, you're etching it and ruining the fine finish and critical dimension on the wall of the orifice.

Hoppes is pretty benign...mostly water with some impurities...

I clean mine in an ultrasonic bath like those used for surgical instruments.

Actually, looks more like kerosene and alcohol "with some impurities...".

http://www.copquest.com/knowledgebase/MSDS_Hoppes_No_9_Solvent.pdf

Or did I miss the joke?

It was a really bad joke. If you've used much Hoppes #9, you've learned that it's a powder solvent and doesn't remove lead or copper very well at all. It also doesn't do much to protect the metal so you've still got to oil the piece after cleaning it. About all I use Hoppes for anymore is to chase the more agressive cleaners if I don't have hot running water to rinse. I also have an ultrasonic cleaner and just use hot soapy water in that as a cleaning fluid.

Of course everyone has their own opinions and YMWV. I've heard that Hoppes works well for injectors but I've also noted that it isn't used on the automotive side of things.

It was a really bad joke. If you've used much Hoppes #9, you've learned that it's a powder solvent and doesn't remove lead or copper very well at all. It also doesn't do much to protect the metal so you've still got to oil the piece after cleaning it. About all I use Hoppes for anymore is to chase the more agressive cleaners if I don't have hot running water to rinse. I also have an ultrasonic cleaner and just use hot soapy water in that as a cleaning fluid.

Of course everyone has their own opinions and YMWV. I've heard that Hoppes works well for injectors but I've also noted that it isn't used on the automotive side of things.

:D

Looking at some of the gun forii, the ammonium hydroxide will attack copper but #9 is a very weak copper solvent; one guy said soak for days to do anything effective so I doubt 20 minutes recommended by Lycoming will do any damage.

Back