Lycoming "geared" engines

heliocourier

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ultracstol
Well I thought I would post this here to clarify some misconceptions that you may have regarding these out of production engines. First I'm going to deal with the Lycoming series since my experience is directed to them. Let's do this: I'll divide the series up into cubic inch displacement to avoid confusion
1) 435 series......GO-435-C2, C2B2 are rated at 260 HP
2) 480 series......GO-480-A, B, G, and F ratings go from 270 HP-295 HP
3) Injected and supercharged...GSO-435, 480, then IGSO
4) 540 series......IGO-540, IGSO 540 (380 HP)
5) top intake versions such as the TIGO-541 went to 450 HP

Lycoming ceased production of these in 1979 when fuel consumption concerns became relevant and TBO was less than 1800 hours, most TBO's were set at a value of 1200-1400 hours...There is a misconception about these engines that they are troublesome and expensive to maintain, not anymore than anything else that you fly. Take care of it and it takes care of you. More on this later......

I don't remember and Lycoming doesn't list a GSO-435 or a GO-480-A. The GSO-480 is carbureted not fuel injected. The TIGO series was a whole different animal. Considering the limited number of them, I saw too many catastrphic failures of mid time since new engines. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines

I posted injected and supercharged, the GSO-480 has the PS5D carb, the IGSO-480 has fuel injection, in the case of the Helio Courier and I've owned and rebuilt two, the GO-480-G1D6 (295 HP) is the best of the lot. They both went beyond TBO and both had accumulated 1800 hours. Most folks need to treat them well, and if you do, they will do every bit of the factory recommended 1400 hour mark. These are torque engines and are equipped with planetary gear driven splines in the nose case.......The G1D6 has a 20 spline shaft..

Back