Luscombe 8E Reports, anyone?

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
I've got my eye on a shiny, restored Luscombe 8E.

Anyone with experience in this airplane care to enlighten?

NOTE: I know about checkling logs, IA inspections, TTAF, TBO, the rest ... I'm just looking for PIREPs on the flying qualities of this particular airplane. Thanks!

My first plane was a Luscombe 8A. Very nice flying plane. Mine was the straight 8A with the A65 and no electrics and metal wings. The 8A had a single fuselage fuel tank behind the seats. It also had a placard "Take off with Carb heat on".

The 8E was typically a A85, some with electrics and some without. Some have metal wings while others do not. If I remember correctly the 8E's had wing tanks.

Like any other tailwheel plane just get proficient in take offs and landings. One other thing I remember about the Luscombe if it has the solid tailwheel change it over to a pneumatic type. The difference in noise on a hard runway is unbelievable between the two.

NOTE: I know about checkling logs, IA inspections, TTAF, TBO, the rest ... I'm just looking for PIREPs on the flying qualities of this particular airplane. Thanks!

I've admired, but never flown Luscombes. Here's a pirep from Sport Aviation:

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/ClassicCompLuscombe.html

Trapper John

Deb McFarland, writes for GANews, is a Luscombe pilot. She used to post on AOPA as "Lester Luscombe" which is also the name of her plane. Try to track her down. IIRC, he husband also has a Luscombe.

3 things.

1) Might be McFarlane, not McFarland. Can't recall.
2) Gee, thanks Dan. Now you have me craving a Luscombe. :frown3::D
3) Gee, thanks Kyle and Trapper. Now I've found Airbum.com and have another website to waste hours on. :frown3::D

Luscombes are the finest airplane ever built. :yesnod:

We own three, two 8As and my 8E. They fly differently, and if you learn to understand and accept the characteristics of this airplane, it will become the love of your life. :rolleyes:

Well, maybe not, but you will appreciate the handling of a very agile airplane.

(Just in case you missed these in your research, the Luscombe Yahoo List Group at luscombe-silvaire@yahoogroups.com. has loads of information. A great Luscombe website is http://www.popav.com/Luscombe/ with lots of info and the best is the pre-purchase checklist here: http://www.popav.com/Luscombe/LuscPurchaseChecklist.asp)

As to flying, take everything you've ever learned about tailwheel flying and throw it out the window. Not really, but please remember that you are not flying a Cub. Luscombes fly like Luscombes. The airplane that has caught your eye will handle differently with different engines, so I'm gonna assume your beauty has the original C-85-12. The typical 8E, with no mods, will stall at 48 mph and cruise between 105 mph and 115 mph according to prop at about 5.5 gph. Again, the cruise changes with different engine configurations, props and weight. I have the C-85/O-200 conversion. Mine climbs at 1000 fpm and cruises at 120 mph on cool days at 6.5 gph. Trim is light and delicate, and sometimes I have to hunt for it, and you can forget trim in turbulence. The 8E doesn't trim for final either. The nose is heavy. You still have to hold a considerable amount of back pressure on final (A stock 8A is not like this).

There are two kinds of gear that can be on this airplane; the Silflex and the Standard. The Silflex is more forgiving and softer. The Standard is stiff. However, if you groundloop, the Silflex will tear out the gear box and the Standard might not.

I usually turn base to final at 70 mph. This may seem fast for a Luscombe, but after nearly 900 hours in mine, this works. Remember, you will be flying the E model. The A model stalls much slower (39 mph). Two different airplanes. On final, if you relax the stick, you will be going 90 mph in the blink of an eye and no landing will be imminent. Although it stalls at 48 mph, mine starts getting mushy at 60-65. I usually have a high angle of attack in order to slow it down, so keep the 70 until your nearly over the runway. In later years, I've come to appreciate the slip to maintain airspeed on final. It has become second nature to cock the nose at a certain level and angle to keep and maintain my 70 mph. Works good for me.

Upon landing, the Luscombe will tolerate no side load. Accept this and you will be a happy camper. You must land straight with the direction of travel. You will find that most 8E owners prefer to three-point, and the 8A owners prefer the wheel landing. CG, karma, whatever, but in our airplanes, the feel is better for one or the other. Practice the landing that feels best in your airplane and configuration. In the crosswind, you will land on one wheel. Period. Whether you choose to put the tailwheel down next or the other main is up to you. This sacrilegious in the tailwheel world, but it works: we don't add extra airspeed for the wheel landing. Both Henry and I approach both landings at the same speed. We just change our attitude. Henry wins a local spot landing award with his wheel landings. Practice. It can be done.

Do not pull the stick back to your gut until the wheels are on the ground. This plants the airplane. If you do so in the air, you will fall out. That's not good. For me, this was the biggest different between the Luscombe and the Cub.

The Luscombe (all varieties except the T8F tandem version) lands like a pussycat. It's the rollout that gets ya. That's where most groundloops occur. Don't relax until it's stopped. It can feel like everything is going to crap at times, but just keep flying the airplane. You'll get used to that feeling as it slows in the landing roll. My passengers always want to start talking when the feet need to start moving.

Keep your feet off the brakes. This is not a highly modified supped-up superduper bush plane. It's a forties trainer. Use the brakes on the landing roll, and you will flip. If you run out of rudder in a Luscombe (this airplane has lots of rudder) use a burst of power. You'll get a little more authority. A groundloop is easier to repair than a flip. The flip usually takes the dihedral out the wing and damages the structure. Groundloop takes a wing tip and a gear.

That said, high-time Luscombe owners do occasionally apply a little brake pressure. This is a delicate process that depends on the type of brakes and takes an in-depth understanding of the risks. Not a solution for the new Luscombe pilot. If you find you need extra authority, most likely the airplane has a tracking problem or the pilot does not yet understand the airplane.

The go-around. If you learn nothing else about this airplane (or any other low-powered airplane), take heed to this advice. On the go-around, push the stick forward first then apply full throttle. Most stock Luscombes have little power, but lots of pitch. If you are still in the air with the stick back (landing configuration) and give that baby full throttle, she's gonna fall out. Of all the airplanes I've flown, the Luscombe has more pitch control. Even in the stall, I seldom recover with throttle. Just pitch forward and old Lester is zipping along. I guess it's the clean configuration.

Speaking of the stall. Practice them. Repeatedly. The best stalls for learning to land the 8E three-point are leaf stalls. Two old-time pilots and CFIs really helped me understand my airplane when I bought it. One told me to practice lots of slow flight and leaf stalls. The other showed me that the Luscombe is recoverable in nearly all situations.
However, when practicing stalls please keep the wing lifted with the rudder, not aileron. I know, I know, books and pamphlets and internet sites and forum experts say otherwise. However, my Luscombe didn't read them. If you don't, just remember that the Luscombe spins on a dime and spins very tightly.

I guess I've spent too many words and given too much information just to tell you that the Luscombe does what the pilot tells it to do. If you groundloop, you directed it to do that. If you land in a three-point so soft and perfect that your heart jumps with joy, you directed it to do that, too.

I never land that I don't have a smile on my face.

That may be all you need to know.

Deb

I guess I've spent too many words and given too much information just to tell you that the Luscombe does what the pilot tells it to do. If you groundloop, you directed it to do that. If you land in a three-point so soft and perfect that your heart jumps with joy, you directed it to do that, too.

I never land that I don't have a smile on my face.

That may be all you need to know.

Deb
So this pulled you out of the woodwork Deb! :) Welcome! :yes:

Last edited:
Excellent!!!

Thanks so much -- alot to learn and yet this seems to be the type airplane I want to fly.

So let me ask this Would the ideal Luscombe pilot's approach be "Give me exactly what I command, no more and no less. Don't take up the slack for me and let me fly the airplane..."?

There are two kinds of gear that can be on this airplane; the Silflex and the Standard. The Silflex is more forgiving and softer. The Standard is stiff. However, if you groundloop, the Silflex will tear out the gear box and the Standard might not.

Upon landing, the Luscombe will tolerate no side load. Accept this and you will be a happy camper. You must land straight with the direction of travel....
Just a couple of comments...Not sure what the "Standard" vs "Silflex" gear are, but the gear differences I know about are what we called "Stock" and "Ski". I'm guessing they're different differences. ;)

But as Deb said, the Luscombes don't tolerate side load...and the biggest problem is a side load that forces the wheel toward center. That's where the gear differences I know about come in...the "Stock" gear has a flat metal strap running from the axle to the center fuselage attach point. Great in tension, but worthless in compression, which is what the "wheel towards center" side load applies. It'll just buckle, and you go down and around.

The "Ski" gear basically takes a steel tube that's been cut in half lengthwise and welds the pieces to each side of the strap on the "stock" gear. Gives much better strength in compression.

N1347B said:
This sacrilegious in the tailwheel world, but it works: we don't add extra airspeed for the wheel landing. Both Henry and I approach both landings at the same speed....Practice. It can be done.
I say that about ALL taildraggers...I think the "add extra airspeed for the wheel landing" is more a training crutch that worked its way into normal operation. What it basically does is give you more time to hunt for the ground when you don't know where your wheels are...sort of a "glassy water" technique. Bad form, IMO.:nono::rolleyes:

Fly safe!

David

Just a couple of comments...Not sure what the "Standard" vs "Silflex" gear are, but the gear differences I know about are what we called "Stock" and "Ski". I'm guessing they're different differences. ;)

But as Deb said, the Luscombes don't tolerate side load...and the biggest problem is a side load that forces the wheel toward center. That's where the gear differences I know about come in...the "Stock" gear has a flat metal strap running from the axle to the center fuselage attach point. Great in tension, but worthless in compression, which is what the "wheel towards center" side load applies. It'll just buckle, and you go down and around.

The "Ski" gear basically takes a steel tube that's been cut in half lengthwise and welds the pieces to each side of the strap on the "stock" gear. Gives much better strength in compression.

I say that about ALL taildraggers...I think the "add extra airspeed for the wheel landing" is more a training crutch that worked its way into normal operation. What it basically does is give you more time to hunt for the ground when you don't know where your wheels are...sort of a "glassy water" technique. Bad form, IMO.:nono::rolleyes:

Fly safe!

David

The Standard, "Stiff" or Stock gear are the same. This gear has the flat tubes/wires. The Ski gear is another gear entirely. It has the round tubes and is on airplanes that are fitted (or have been fitted) for skis. The Silfex gear has no wires or tubes. It's the more "modern" Luscombe gear. Much softer on landing and way more forgiving :yesnod:.

Deb

Excellent!!!

Thanks so much -- alot to learn and yet this seems to be the type airplane I want to fly.

So let me ask this Would the ideal Luscombe pilot's approach be "Give me exactly what I command, no more and no less. Don't take up the slack for me and let me fly the airplane..."?

You've got it. :yesnod:

Deb

The Standard, "Stiff" or Stock gear are the same. This gear has the flat tubes/wires. The Ski gear is another gear entirely. It has the round tubes and is on airplanes that are fitted (or have been fitted) for skis. The Silfex gear has no wires or tubes. It's the more "modern" Luscombe gear. Much softer on landing and way more forgiving :yesnod:.

Deb
I feel validated now...thanks!:yesnod:

Flown and given instruction in a couple 8A's. Great airplanes, wear your soft soled mocassins, make sure you have the welded steel bracket holding the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer on. Good tailwheel steering springs are also a must. Have Fun.
Dave

Flown and given instruction in a couple 8A's. Great airplanes, wear your soft soled mocassins, make sure you have the welded steel bracket holding the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer on. Good tailwheel steering springs are also a must. Have Fun.
Dave

All this advice is only encouraging this delusion (I like cars and bikes that let me feel every pebble on the road -- the closest I've come in an airplane is a '47 V tail -- so the Luscombe sounds right up my alley)

I'm not familiar enough to know -- is the metal bracket a preflight item or some aftermarket doodad?

All this advice is only encouraging this delusion (I like cars and bikes that let me feel every pebble on the road -- the closest I've come in an airplane is a '47 V tail -- so the Luscombe sounds right up my alley)

I'm not familiar enough to know -- is the metal bracket a preflight item or some aftermarket doodad?

The metal bracket is to comply with an AD for a structrual problem in the attachment of the vertical stab. Installing it is a one time thing.

The metal bracket is to comply with an AD for a structrual problem in the attachment of the vertical stab. Installing it is a one time thing.

And it's only for the round-tailed Luscombes.

Dan, if you buy a Luscombe, you must become familiar with the nuances of the debate over the round rudder vs. square, paint vs. polish and three-point vs. wheelie.

My family has all the possibilities covered.

I am square, polished and three-pointed.

Henry is round, painted and a wheelie.

Then there is the rag/metal wing controversy...:p

Deb

And it's only for the round-tailed Luscombes.

Dan, if you buy a Luscombe, you must become familiar with the nuances of the debate over the round rudder vs. square, paint vs. polish and three-point vs. wheelie.

My family has all the possibilities covered.

I am square, polished and three-pointed.

Henry is round, painted and a wheelie.

Then there is the rag/metal wing controversy...:p

Deb

Sounds like another plus...

Flying a badge of honor that evidences superior judgement and taste!

:rolleyes:

Go Dan Go!!!!

You know you want it!! Do IT!!!!!!

And then you can give me a ride!:D

Back