Luke’s Wings

RonP

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RvP
Just saw an add for this organization helping wounded servicemen get home for the holidays and getting family members to visit in the hospitals. Never knew this organization existed. The organization raises money for commercial airline tickets. For those that have not heard of this organization not a bad way to spend 1 AMU.

so, are there GA volunteer flight opportunities?

I did not see anything on their website about volunteer pilots. The focus was on Walter Reed hospital and the wounded vets that are there that are too far away from family. It is very interesting history the organization was started by a major sports team cheerleader that was on a morale visit to Walter Reed and realized the need for these wounded soldiers to be with family whose families could not afford airline tickets. The website also notes the gov’t does pay for 3 trips by family in the beginning and then it is up to the family to find their own transportation after that. Nice way to help bring a little light to an injured serviceman in the hospital. That’s all I know from when I saw the commercial and spent time looking over their website.

I am not sure if I am fascinated or disappointed a thread on where can someone fly to play golf had more interest than this thread on an organization that helps wounded soldiers.

It was the second to last day of the year. Give us self absorbed rich healthy guys a break.

It does appear to be a great way to help people who have sacrificed greatly for us all. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Thanks for sharing I wasn't aware of this organization and their very worthy cause. I'm a big believer in donating to organizations that support first responders and veterans my two favorites that I donate to regularly are Honor Flight New England (in honor of my late father a Korean War vet) and Tunnel to Towers (in honor of my friend a NYFD member who was lost on 9/11).

If you're a runner add the Tunnel to Towers 5K to your list of races, very emotional.

I am not sure if I am fascinated or disappointed a thread on where can someone fly to play golf had more interest than this thread on an organization that helps wounded soldiers.

There are a hundred different organizations that are designed to help wounded soldiers. I'm not sure how this one is supposed to appeal to pilots any more than the other organizations, since it doesn't require anything of our "skillset". It seems like a nice organization, but I'm not in amazement that it doesn't gain as much traction as a thread on flying to golf destinations.

As posted there are many organizations to help wounded soldiers. My post was another organization I never heard of let alone advertised on TV. It has nothing to do with our skill set but the add caught my attention being a pilot. Evidently one of the lesser known organizations I brought to light. For those who had positive comments and participate in an organization that benefits our wounded service men and women it is greatly appreciated by those that need help.

Back