LSA qualified aircraft for rent in DFW

JustinWalton

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
Hello All,

I have been following the forum for several years. Lot's of great advice, and good night time reading on the trusty iPhone.

I obtained my sport pilot certificate in June of last year. I did my flight training in Denton in a Remos with US Aviation. Problem is, they no longer rent their aircraft out. Students only. Seems kind of crazy since they have 3 or 4 LSA's in the hanger that just sit there...

Anyways, I have been renting from US Sport Planes in Addison since August, and have probably rented one of several Piper Sports for around 25 hours or so. Addison is a little bit of a drive, they are down to one rental plane, and it stays very full, and I really just want something different to fly. They also recently increased the rate for block time to $115/hour wet. I think it's a great company, and they have been really easy to work with. My buddy is doing his Sport training there, so he will be able to rent one from there if we want.

I am a flight or two away from my Tailwheel endorsement. I'm getting that in Gainesville in a 1940 J-3. It's not for rent, just instruction. I know there is a Legend cub in McKinney, I flew it once, but it was hard to get time scheduled with them. I also recently emailed and called. It's been two weeks, no response. Plus, they want $130/ hour wet. Hoping I can get checked out in it once I finish my tailwheel endorsement in the J-3.

I know about the Tecnam P92 Eaglet in Grand Prairie, and am considering going that route next, but that's still well over an hour from my house. Web site says $95/hour wet, and it has great Avionics. One small issue here is they want a 4 hour per day minimum to take the plane, verses Addison being ok with 3.

So...here are the questions:

Am I missing any of the planes that are available? Would love to find something closer to Denton.

Anyone have an LSA in the Denton area that is looking for partners?

I am looking to build enough time to test for the CFI-SP. Not to earn money, just something to do. I have considered getting a float plane for Lake Ray Roberts in a year or two to teach water operations, and do BFR's. I'm thinking a Highlander, on floats.

Highlander on floats is nice, but I'm not sure you'll be able to do more than do type specific training on an FAA LOA unless they have started factory building them as S-LSAs, something you might look into as I'm not sure of the exact restrictions on teaching in an Experimental and what the LOA allows.

I'm assuming you have a medical issue that prevents you from getting one which is why you have gone SP. If not, you have discovered the primary disadvantage of SP, unless you own an LSA or SP compatible plane, you're quite limited in rental options.

What about a weight shift amphib? Factory built should be OK to teach in, Texas is warm enough for those things.

Highlander on floats is nice, but I'm not sure you'll be able to do more than do type specific training on an FAA LOA unless they have started factory building them as S-LSAs, something you might look into as I'm not sure of the exact restrictions on teaching in an Experimental and what the LOA allows.

I'm assuming you have a medical issue that prevents you from getting one which is why you have gone SP. If not, you have discovered the primary disadvantage of SP, unless you own an LSA or SP compatible plane, you're quite limited in rental options.

I will look into what you are saying about the S-LSA cert.

No medical issues here, just have no reason to fly at night, over 10k, or in bad weather. And most the planes I like, that I will every be able to afford, fall into this category.

I may do the PPL later, just thought I could pay for some of the plane expense by offering BFR's as well as tail wheel endorsements. Then do some of the year on floats. There are not a lot of requirements for the CFI-SP, and that seems like a more "Fun" and "Challenging" step to take next.

I'm about a year out on a purchase...wife just graduated, need the second job to pay for the plane.:wink2:

I will look into what you are saying about the S-LSA cert.

No medical issues here, just have no reason to fly at night, over 10k, or in bad weather. And most the planes I like, that I will every be able to afford, fall into this category.

I may do the PPL later, just thought I could pay for some of the plane expense by offering BFR's as well as tail wheel endorsements. Then do some of the year on floats. There are not a lot of requirements for the CFI-SP, and that seems like a more "Fun" and "Challenging" step to take next.

I'm about a year out on a purchase...wife just graduated, need the second job to pay for the plane.:wink2:

Have a baby, sell it while it's still fresh, buy a plane with the proceeds.

Does an SP need a BFR? I don't think as a CFI-SP you'll be able to give BFRs or any endorsements to anyone besides an SP, so you run into a very limited market issue there as well. Check out a Quicksilver MX-II, you can get them on Amphibs as well.

What about a weight shift amphib? Factory built should be OK to teach in, Texas is warm enough for those things.

Sounds fun every once in a while. Would rather have something I can take the doors off of, or open the door/window like the cub.

I a really pretty stuck on the Highlander, and SuperStol, mainly because I would like the off field capability. I say floats, because I don't really want to jack with the price/operation of amphibs. I think conventional gear, with float mounts.

Have a baby, sell it while it's still fresh, buy a plane with the proceeds.

Does an SP need a BFR? I don't think as a CFI-SP you'll be able to give BFRs or any endorsements to anyone besides an SP, so you run into a very limited market issue there as well. Check out a Quicksilver MX-II, you can get them on Amphibs as well.

I have done pretty extensive research....Not that I am 100%, but it looks like:

A CFI-SP can give anyone a BFR. Not 100% if the BFR has to be conducted in LSA or not. But, even if so, that's ok. Yes, Sport Pilots have to get BFR's.

http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=69

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-27505.html

Endorsements in aircraft they are authorized to instruct in. i.e., a tailwheel endorsement conducted in a J-3.

I have done pretty extensive research....Not that I am 100%, but it looks like:

A CFI-SP can give anyone a BFR. Not 100% if the BFR has to be conducted in LSA or not. But, even if so, that's ok. Yes, Sport Pilots have to get BFR's.

http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=69

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-27505.html

Endorsements in aircraft they are authorized to instruct in. i.e., a tailwheel endorsement conducted in a J-3.

The SP CFI can only give a BFR in a LSA.

It's not closer to Denton, but Big Q Aviation at Midway (KJWY) has a J-3 that they rent and it's cheaper than what you've been paying.

I got my certificate from USAG, so I have some familiarity with various noteables over there and why they don't rent to non-students.

They pulled the "renting to non-students" off of the line in Spring of 2012. The story I was told directly from Jeff Soules was their insurance costs were about to rise in a big way, and the only way to keep from pushing them out of the profit zone was to restrict aircraft rentals to students only. This meant that folks (like me) who were renting their Warrior, and their staff members going out for pleasure and business flights could no longer rent the aircraft.

So, yeah, kinda turned KDTO into a big desert for renting aircraft, both regular and LSA.

And USAG has more than just the Remos sitting there, they also have some Tencam's still up for sale that they've been trying to flog for some time now.

The club I belong to now, www.MetroFlyersClub.com, has one last share available (we close out at 16 members). But this is on a C182 and a Bo V35.

For the moment, the only outfit offering LSA's for rent you know about (US Sport Planes).

The only other idea I can propose right now is to start walking the hangars and finding out if any of the locals are flying an LSA and would they be willing to do a non-equity deal with you. I think I have seen a few privately owned LSA's operating on the field, but I don't know who the owners are. But a little footwork might turn over the right rock for you.

Sounds fun every once in a while. Would rather have something I can take the doors off of, or open the door/window like the cub.

I a really pretty stuck on the Highlander, and SuperStol, mainly because I would like the off field capability. I say floats, because I don't really want to jack with the price/operation of amphibs. I think conventional gear, with float mounts.

The rans 7 the courrier is the plane.

The rans 7 the courrier is the plane.
Just be aware that for newer aircraft, and conventional gear, too, you'd better start shopping for good insurance, otherwise you may find it more expensive to use the plane for business than to not!

Ryan

Back