LSA planes and luggage considerations

rdoty

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rdoty
I'm looking forward to building a kit plane and have a question regarding the designed-in luggage space. I hope to do a lot of cross-country flying coupled with playing golf. Of course golf clubs are longer than the luggage space is wide so the only way to transport them is to store them in line with the fuselage which would mean removing the rear luggage space panel. I've been told that I can't modify the manufacturers design but it would seem to me that as long as the CG is appropriate and the clubs are properly secured it should be okay to modify the luggage space. I'm sure there are other sport pilots out there who carry their golf clubs with them. Just want to clarify this "minor" detail before I charge ahead.

Short answer is no, it's not legal and not OK.

Slightly longer answer is that your modification would be structural and would need to be analyzed from an engineering standpoint. Aircraft are designed for minimum weight. Taking away any material from a structural member without knowing what it will do to the design is a mistake.

Before you start buying the parts, it might be worthwhile to find a DAR in your neighborhood and have a chat with him/her. There are a fair number of expectations and requirements you need to consider before spending the time and money to build an aircraft.

Last edited:
Will it be certificated as E-LSA or E-AB?

E-LSA is supposed to be a copy of an S-LSA design which makes modifying the baggage area problematic.

E-AB - do whatever you want as long as you can meet the 51% rule.

ignore post#2. You can built it any way you want. You can deviate from the manufacturer's plans as much as you care to. YOU are the builder, not the producer of the kit. Most likely someone has already done it and can offer some insight. Ask around the builder's forums of the type you're interested in.

I think one of the claims of Remos,is that you can fit in a golf bag. And some small bags. The jabirus also have a large luggage area.

ignore post#2. You can built it any way you want. You can deviate from the manufacturer's plans as much as you care to. YOU are the builder, not the producer of the kit. Most likely someone has already done it and can offer some insight. Ask around the builder's forums of the type you're interested in.

Um, no. Light sport kits have to be built exactly as the manufacturer specifies.

Ummmm. No.

Sometimes.

You can do what you want if, and only if, it is built as an E-AB aircraft and not an E-LSA.

E-LSA means that you don't have to meet the so called "51%" rule, but it also means that you are building a copy of an S-LSA. On the other hand, if you _can_ meet the "51%" rule (which means you tick off more than half the items on an FAA checklist - not actually do more than 50% of the actual work (big difference)) then you can register it as an E-AB and make any changes you want. (And you can still fly under the sport pilot rules if the E-AB meets the weight, seat, gear, prop, speed, etc. limits for Light Sport Aircraft.

My LSA is registered as E-AB so I can modify at will (major changes after it is first registered puts you back in phase 1 per operating limitations.)

Um, no. Light sport kits have to be built exactly as the manufacturer specifies.

While this is true to get it inspected you can modify the plane once you have the AW certificate. The RV-12 for example can have the rear baggage compartment bulkhead modified to allow golf clubs.

Last edited:
You can do what you want if, and only if, it is built as an E-AB aircraft and not an E-LSA.

That is simply not true.

Once the E-LSA has an AW certificate you can modify it any way you want, as long as you don't break the major LSA rules. Weight, speed, gear, prop, etc.

I'm looking forward to building a kit plane and have a question regarding the designed-in luggage space. I hope to do a lot of cross-country flying coupled with playing golf. Of course golf clubs are longer than the luggage space is wide so the only way to transport them is to store them in line with the fuselage which would mean removing the rear luggage space panel. I've been told that I can't modify the manufacturers design but it would seem to me that as long as the CG is appropriate and the clubs are properly secured it should be okay to modify the luggage space. I'm sure there are other sport pilots out there who carry their golf clubs with them. Just want to clarify this "minor" detail before I charge ahead.

Once the plane has been inspected and you receive the air worthiness certificate you can modify the plane as you see fit. You can modify the rear baggage bulkhead to haul golf clubs. Certainly, you should do a new W&B to account for the new load location, but I suspect it would be a minor adjustment.

I strongly suggest you look very hard at the RV-12. On VAF (link below) there is a whole thread dedicated to modifications after the AW cert is issued.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=64145

Last edited:
Once the E-LSA has an AW certificate you can modify it any way you want, as long as you don't break the major LSA rules. Weight, speed, gear, prop, etc.
I'll take you word on that one.

What do the operating limitations look like? For my E-AB LSA, if I want to drop in a small block Chevy engine, I have to get the FAA to approve my test area for phase 1 again (or words to that effect) - same for E-LSA?

I'll take you word on that one.

What do the operating limitations look like? For my E-AB LSA, if I want to drop in a small block Chevy engine, I have to get the FAA to approve my test area for phase 1 again (or words to that effect) - same for E-LSA?

With the Chevy you would be over the 1,320 pound gross. ;)

Yes, for major repairs or mods it goes back into Phase 1. BTW, Phase 1 for most E-LSA is 5 hours! :eek:

I'm starting to sound like Ron Levy! :rolleyes: I think I will go throw up. :rolleyes2:

Last edited:

That is correct.

The "E" in E-LSA does stand for Experimental. Appropriately, that allows an owner to "experiment" diverging from the S-LSA design for a particular plane, again as long as the modifications don't take it out of LSA limitations.

Which is kind of the point.

Good info here:

http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com

Mike Huffman was, in fact, the DAR that did the conversion to E-LSA for my Sky Arrow.

Last edited:
And if you want to change the AW to E-A/B, you might find this handy:

Attachments

• AC 20-27G.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
WOW! Thanks for all the comments. As far as "structural", the rear panel for the luggage area, in my opinion, serves only to limit and contain and provides no structural rigidity. That's the engineer in me speaking but when I get closer to purchasing a kit I'll consult with the manufacturer. I do know of one person who uses the passenger area to store his clubs but I'd like the option to take my daughter with me without tying her to the fuselage (I really value my clubs!). Besides, she's much better than I am.
Thanks for the link by Geico.....and the RV12 is very high on my list as well as the Sling 2. I'm still in the planning stage so a while before I make a decision. Thanks again for all the input.

I have seen several experimental owners add a belly pod to hold their golf clubs. As for the Remos, it will hold a set of clubs and an overnight bag in the baggage compartment. Have tried it on mine..

Back