LSA age requirment question.

rubber314chicken

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rubber314chicken
I'm curious about the LSA rules on age. I'm currently too young to get my sport pilot's license. www.sportpilot.org states that you must be 17 to get the license, but can you start training at 16, as with a private pilot's license, and not get the full certificate until you are 17?

also, if it is a homebuilt, at 17, will I be eligable to get the repairman's certificate for the specific plane even though it says I have to be 18 to get that?

I'm curious about the LSA rules on age. I'm currently too young to get my sport pilot's license. www.sportpilot.org states that you must be 17 to get the license, but can you start training at 16, as with a private pilot's license, and not get the full certificate until you are 17?

also, if it is a homebuilt, at 17, will I be eligable to get the repairman's certificate for the specific plane even though it says I have to be 18 to get that?

According to the regulation 14 CFR 61.305(a)(1) yes you must be 17 to actually get the sport pilot certificate for airplanes (16 yrs old for gliders or balloons).

Between your first solo and actually getting the certificate, you would have to follow the student pilot regulations found in subpart C of part 61. Specifically 61.83(a) and (b) where it says you must be at least 16 to be eligible for a student pilot certificate to operate anything but a glider or balloon, and 14 to operate a glider or balloon.

The student pilot certificate is only required for solo operations, not training with your instructor. Therefore you can begin training even younger than 16 years old for airplanes, whether you are pursuing a sport pilot or private pilot certificate.

So you are in luck!!!

For example I had one private student start training at 15. He soloed on his 16th birthday and earned his private certificate after he turned 17.

As for the repairman certificate question, that's not my area of expertise so I'll let someone else answer.

some searching revealed that its 16 for the student sport pilot, 15 hrs of dual flight, and 5 hours of solo....

but it all says 18 and primary builder, which makes no sense because a 17 year old could be flying in one of those planes, fixing his car, and driving passengers in his car, yet he can't fix a plane that he built. Granted flying is harder to do, but the repairs and inspections aren't too much harder, right?

Don't forget the glider option - 14 to solo, 16 for a private (in the US). That includes self launch gliders (motor gliders) that will perform as well as or better than LSA stuff.

Check ssa.org click on "about soaring" and "where to fly"..

Technically, I'd say "no". In reality, you can probably work out a deal with the local FSDO or your DAR. They'd probably agree to hold the Repairman Certificate paperwork until your birthday. After all, you won't need it until your next (first) annual condition inspection comes due. In all likelihood, they'll offer to post-date the Repairman Certificate application (e.g., date it for your 18th birthday) as long as you promise to not mail it in until that date. Otherwise, offer to come by on your birthday for them to sign it.

Ron Wanttaja

some searching revealed that its 16 for the student sport pilot, 15 hrs of dual flight, and 5 hours of solo....

but it all says 18 and primary builder, which makes no sense because a 17 year old could be flying in one of those planes, fixing his car, and driving passengers in his car, yet he can't fix a plane that he built. Granted flying is harder to do, but the repairs and inspections aren't too much harder, right?

If you get your certificate at 17 your first inspection would be when you are 18. You do not need a Repairmans certificate to work on the plane, anyone even a non pilot can work on them. The repairman certificate is only for the inspection.

Dan

Back