LPV to simple runway?

olasek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
olasek
Is it possible to find examples of LPV approaches to runways which don't have precision runway markings and/or lack any elaborate approach lighting except perhaps basic runway edge lighting?

Thanks Matt. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Is it possible to find examples of LPV approaches to runways which don't have precision runway markings and/or lack any elaborate approach lighting except perhaps basic runway edge lighting?

Check out KLKR RNAV RWY 6. No approach lights, non precision markings, LPV with DH of 200 feet and visibility of 3/4.

Closer to you is Petaluma (O69). 300' and 7/8 -- a big improvement over the 800' VOR approach.

KWAY is the lowest I've done at about minimums.

I was very glad I knew the area because the runway and markings were nearly invisible (grey asphalt with washed-out paint). I was ready to go missed when I "saw" the runway.

Since then the runway has been repaved and new markings painted -- HUGE improvement!!

KFWQ has fairly low LPV DA (300')

Gotta say - I'd have to be very familiar with the field already to shoot an approach to 200 or so without an approach lighting system.

Gotta say - I'd have to be very familiar with the field already to shoot an approach to 200 or so without an approach lighting system.
Now c'mon, you don't think the FAA would put that kind of minimum if there was anything in the vicinity to hit, do you? The "miss" is another matter.

I have found in all of my approach applications to the FAA that obstruction surveys are the one thing they've very particular about. And they have commissioned a boatload of them in the last year or so.

Appreciate the perspective, Ken. My reticence is not so much about worrying about hitting anything, and more about FUD about my own skills, which could surely use come bolstering.

Appreciate the perspective, Ken. My reticence is not so much about worrying about hitting anything, and more about FUD about my own skills, which could surely use come bolstering.

You and pretty much every other pilot out there.

The issue isn't shooting the approach to mins (at least usually not). It's then making the transition to visual cues, and landing accordingly. An approach lighting system certainly helps with this. I would actually rather do such approaches at night, because the lights tend to stand out better.

A few weeks ago I shot an ILS in the Cheyenne down to mins. It was one of those see the lights at 200 feet and runway at 100 ft. Fortunately, it was at night. During the day it might not have been as easy.

"I'll take the crutch for $200, Alex!"

Crutch: second pilot.
Crutch: reliable nonpilot lookout in the right seat
Airport with a Rabbit & REILS or at LEAST a MALSR

The most amazing one in recent memory was the LOC 02 at WVI. You break out, you can tell the gray is now horizon delimited by gray-blue below, but you can't see squat.... Gauges or window? Gauges or window? Then you see headlights on Hwy 1. or the timer goes off and you fly the miss.....

Closer to you is Petaluma (O69). 300' and 7/8 -- a big improvement over the 800' VOR approach.
Petaluma, right, never crossed my mind that this airport would have LPV, a good example from my own neighborhood.

A few weeks ago I shot an ILS in the Cheyenne down to mins. It was one of those see the lights at 200 feet and runway at 100 ft. Fortunately, it was at night. During the day it might not have been as easy.

Oh suuuuure. You're within a hour plus a few minutes drive of here and you don't call, you don't write...

The Denver PoA contingent would have defended upon you like a mass hoarde of Apocalyptic Zombies, but noooo... you sneak in and out...

;) ;) ;)

"I'll take the crutch for $200, Alex!"

Crutch: second pilot.
Crutch: reliable nonpilot lookout in the right seat
Airport with a Rabbit & REILS or at LEAST a MALSR

The most amazing one in recent memory was the LOC 02 at WVI. You break out, you can tell the gray is now horizon delimited by gray-blue below, but you can't see squat.... Gauges or window? Gauges or window? Then you see headlights on Hwy 1. or the timer goes off and you fly the miss.....
Rumor is that there will be an LPV approach published once the eucalyptus trees bordering the freeway on the airport side are gone. WVI has a new manager who will finally make sure it happens.

Rumor is that there will be an LPV approach published once the eucalyptus trees bordering the freeway on the airport side are gone. WVI has a new manager who will finally make sure it happens.

According to the FAA status spreadsheet for WVI, RWY 2 is not feasible, RWYS 8/20/26 a survey has been contracted for but not delivered.

Oh suuuuure. You're within a hour plus a few minutes drive of here and you don't call, you don't write...

The Denver PoA contingent would have defended upon you like a mass hoarde of Apocalyptic Zombies, but noooo... you sneak in and out...

;) ;) ;)

That was in Bangor, Maine. If that's only an hour and a few minutes drive of Denver, well, you're a faster driver than I am. ;)

Haven't been in Denver since July, unfortunately. But when I did I had dinner with Mari and Austin.

Back