Lowrance Products - Caveat Emptor

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
x post from red...

I bought my Lowrance 2000c new in late 2006. I sent it in for repair a few months later (unit would not output GPS sentences and would lock up when a specific menu item was selected. They sent me a refurbished unit.

Over the last three years, I've removed it from storage maybe three times, just to play with it (in my living room), and it has worked well.

Two months ago, and three years after my original Lowrance 2000c purchase, I finally bought a plane and again took the GPS out of storage to check it out, and to prepare to install it in the plane. Unfortunately, the unit's four arrow keys would not work, rendering the unit useless. after many hard and soft resets, powering up and down, and saying magic words, the arrows finally started to work. And one week later, they did not. And it looked to be permanent.

So I got an RMA, and along with a check for $212, sent my 2000c to Navico in Tulsa. They stated they didn't expect the next batch of refurbished units for three to four months. Oh well. I have no choice but to wait.

Well here it is, three weeks after I shipped the unit to Navico and UPS just dropped off a package. It is my broke GPS, just as I had sent it three weeks earlier, with an explanatory letter enclosed (see attached, below).

I did as the letter suggested and called, and after escalating, the manager stated they are moving as fast and as far away from avionics as possible. No refurbished units or parts are available. I asked what they plan to do for new units sold today, and he suggested they may offer non avionics units for replacement of a failed 2000c under warranty.

Many avionics and pilot supply houses are still selling the 2000c with no mention of Lowrance leaving the avionics business. Many here will reply to this thread with stories about how they've never had any trouble with their Lowrance product. I am posting this so the person contemplating purchase of a Lowrance product can have actual facts as to what you might expect if your unit should fail inside or outside of the warranty period.

Attachments

• untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 63
x post from red...

I bought my Lowrance 2000c new in late 2006. I sent it in for repair a few months later (unit would not output GPS sentences and would lock up when a specific menu item was selected. They sent me a refurbished unit. <Big snip of bad news>

When Lowrance was completely absent from Oshosh this year -- and I mean not so much as an ad in the program, let alone a booth -- I figured they were on their way out of aviation. Sad to see, because their products are in many ways superior to Garmin. (I have a 496 panel-docked, and much prefer to navigate using the 2000c, thanks to its vastly superior screen and user interface.)

BTW: My 2000c broke in much the same way as you describe. $212 later, it works just fine...for now.

I have a 2000c and like it a lot. No problems so far ,3 years in use.
I also have a marine model that's similar that had a problem , sent it in $212 later they sent me a refurbed unit.
I think Garmin is way over priced for what they have.
They're prices seem to be coming down now that the new av-80'with sat. wX is out. And some others are out there also. Competition is a good thing.
I hope they continue the updates for awhile until a select a new non Garmin unit.

I hope they stay in the market. I have a Model 1000, and like the screen size, information on the screens and user friendliness. It has stopped locking on the satellites when I turn it on twice, once in warranty and once outside it. Fixed both times, but I am a little frustrated that I ahve had to send it in to be fixed. Second time cost me around $200 +/-, and don't think I should have had to pay for it. Didn't I pay for that when I bought it????

Back