Lowrance AirMap 600c GPS Opinions?

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
My student was asking about the Lowrance AirMap 600C and wondering what I thought. He read somewhere that this particular model has had some software glitches (freezing up?). Since I know nothing about Lowrance GPSs and have never used one, could any of you chime in if you have one or know about them?

Lowrance AirMap 600C pros & cons?

Compare & contrast with Garmin (such as the 96C)?

Would you recommend the Lowrance model to my student, or something else? (Keeping costs similar)

I have one as my 2nd GPS.

I also have a King 90B IFR certified GPS in the panel.

The 600c was bought for extra situation awareness flying around complex airspace.

Pros:
1. Way less expensive than a Garmin product
2. Small, I like the way it mounts on the yoke
3. Nice display (but there is a con) that can be split to also give vertical guidance
4. Can be used as a car GPS

Cons: display needs to be back lite and that means you have to keep it plugged in.
2. No WX
3. Sometimes the software remembers it was based on a marine unit. For instance I went to mark a waypoint and it called it 'man overboard' by default.

All in all it is a good unit. Customer support is good. I had a problem with the 12vdc cable and they sent me a new one asap, no questions asked.

I still think about getting a Garmin 496 or 396 so I can be as cool as the other kids, but then I remember that I really don't want to pay for the extra WX nor the extra cost of the Garmin.

For VFR flight I still think the Lowrance AirMap 500 is the best buy out there. Even with it being discountinued, you can get updates for the data base for $35, and you can pick them up for $200 or less off ebay.

Scott, do you mean that the batteries will run out otherwise?

The batteries will last because the backlight will only stay on for few seconds. That means when running on batteries you have to keep pushing abutton to have backlight so you can see the display. When the unit is plugged in to 12vdc the back light is on continuously

For VFR flight I still think the Lowrance AirMap 500 is the best buy out there. Even with it being discountinued, you can get updates for the data base for $35, and you can pick them up for $200 or less off ebay.

I agree, I had an AirMap 500 and 600C before my current Garmin 496 and while I like the 496 much better, I usually preferred the 500 to the 600C. If you don't absolutely have to have terrain, get the 500.

The batteries will last because the backlight will only stay on for few seconds. That means when running on batteries you have to keep pushing abutton to have backlight so you can see the display. When the unit is plugged in to 12vdc the back light is on continuously

Ooohhhh gotcha, I see. Boy that would be annoying. That's kind of like my cell phone which stays lit for however many seconds and then goes dark.

So if you're getting a Lowrance I suppose you've got to plan on having a cigarette lighter outlet in your plane. Hmm... I wonder if we are going to have one in the Ercoupe? Because that is what this GPS would be used in, I think.

... I wonder if we are going to have one in the Ercoupe?....

I don't think the early Erco or Sanders Ercoupes came with them, I dont know about the Forneys, and all of the Mooneys and Alons like mine came with lighter outlets. Of course who knows after all of these years if it has been added.

The advantage of the AirMap500 is that you can see it during the day without the backlight so it runs on AA batteries just fine, no wires! Unfortunately at night it needs a power cable to keep the lighting on reliably.

Finding a location for the GPS is a bit of a project in the early coupes as I don't think the yoke mounts work, they interfere with protrusions on the panel with down elevator.

I've got a Airmap 2000c,and I think it's great.
Similar or same software I believe, with terr. awareness.
Easy to use. I like the Go to button for closest airport,bearing ,and distance.
Being a new pilot I think for $699 it's a great deal with all the acc's that come's with it,and a little less for the 600c.
I've got old eye's so the bigger screen on the 2000 is prefered over the 600

Back