lowest altitude route

pilotod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eyeflying
Is there some site or software that can find the lowest altitude route? I'd like to fly from Erie, CO to Grand Junction (in Sep to see the Blue Angles) but it looks like a 172 might be a challenge to use. I am looking at the CPA site that shows the passes and altitudes. Maybe I can figure it out from that.....maybe.

Last edited:
It's definitely possible in a 172, though you'll need a set of brass ones and maybe portable oxygen if you don't know that you have a good tolerance for altitude.

I'll leave it to others with local experience to suggest a route - maybe some combination of the two types of IFR (I Follow Roads, I Follow Rivers).

A good habit when planning routing in that area is to include a road map with your aeronautical charts. These will often help show areas where passes and routings are best for light aircraft. Pick the major highways and follow those.

Be aware that weather changes quickly in the mountains, sometimes. Always have an "out," every step of the way.

Colorado Pilot's Association's Mountain Flying Course is coming up prior to the Blue Angel's visit.

Recommend you go. Get a mountain checkout with one of their available instructors afterward too. It'll count as a BFR.

See this thread for many of the common themes when the topic of Mountain Flying in the Rockies comes up:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49015

I'll be over watching the Blues this year also. Probably there both days. Heading over on Friday. Haven't decided if we're flying over yet or driving. Maybe we can meet up.

A good habit when planning routing in that area is to include a road map with your aeronautical charts. These will often help show areas where passes and routings are best for light aircraft. Pick the major highways and follow those.
That doesn't work well in this case. The major highway goes through a tunnel at the high point.

P.S. The road map idea is generally sound but there are two major problems with it.

1. The first road you'll see that goes where you want to go is I-70. Follow that and you're in for a wicked surprise dead-end at the Eisenhower Tunnel. ;)

2. There are a few road passes that are beautiful drives here because they're at the bottom of a steep canyon and the pass goes on for miles and miles. That type of canyon isn't conducive to longevity (read: not ending up dead) in Mountain flying unless you know you have the performance to climb up and out of it. Terrain surrounding the pass is very important to evaluate too.

Colorado Pilot's Association's Mountain Flying Course is coming up prior to the Blue Angel's visit.

Recommend you go. Get a mountain checkout with one of their available instructors afterward too. It'll count as a BFR.

See this thread for many of the common themes when the topic of Mountain Flying in the Rockies comes up:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49015

I'll be over watching the Blues this year also. Probably there both days. Heading over on Friday. Haven't decided if we're flying over yet or driving. Maybe we can meet up.

I plan to do this next year, in June. Colorado, here I come, 2-3 months "early" of my BFR due date!

I'm very well aware of the routing, having flown it many times. Simply because the cars go through the tunnel doesn't mean you need to follow them every second of their journey. You can always go around the big hill.

Roadmaps often give you the best general routing to get from A to B. There's a reason the cars follow those routes and a reason the highways were put there. They often work well as they follow drainages. In the mountains, always remember the water principle; water flows downhill, and so do you.

The northern route, albeit longer, works well, going into Wyoming and back down the west side.

A list of some routes is in this link, and might be helpful for you: http://pilotbrian.blogspot.com/2008/09/vfr-paths-over-rockies.html

Park West Air Tours has a .pdf form recommending travelers go the northern or southern route. If there's weather over the rockies it's your best bet, but it's also a long way to go, and crossing the hills is quite doable. If you're not familiar and haven't done it before you might get with someone local who has. Seeking additional instruction and help isn't a sign of weakness.

www.parkwestair.com/forms/gjt.pdf

Is there some site or software that can find the lowest altitude route? I'd like to fly from Erie, CO to Grand Junction (in Sep to see the Blue Angles) but it looks like a 172 might be a challenge to use. I am looking at the CPA site that shows the passes and altitudes. Maybe I can figure it out from that.....maybe.

Go north just about to the state line. Pick up the power lines westbound. Follow power lines to SBS. From there it's pretty much down hill. Probably do the entire trip at 10,500.

One variation would be to turn south at Walden and turn right and follow the river at Kremmling. It's a little easier navigation.

As Nate suggested, get a mountain check-out if you haven't do so already. Sounds like you passed your check ride?

Anyway, I'd be happy to fly with you some weekend morning to show you the powerline and first leg of the route. I won't pretend to teach a mtn flying course though. You know where to go for that.

Last edited:
I'm very well aware of the routing, having flown it many times. Simply because the cars go through the tunnel doesn't mean you need to follow them every second of their journey. You can always go around the big hill.

That doesn't work so well on I-70. Going "around the hill" just isn't an option at the tunnel since Loveland Pass is rather lofty itself.

The northern route, albeit longer, works well, going into Wyoming and back down the west side.

No need to get into Wyoming to have a low altitude route. Powerplant north of Ft Collins, power lines to Walden, south to Kremmling, follow river is probably the lowest altitude route for many miles in either direction.

I fly from Denver into south central Wyoming frequently so I've got just a little bit of a handle on this particular navigation.

I'll leave it to others with local experience to suggest a route - maybe some combination of the two types of IFR (I Follow Roads, I Follow Rivers).

IFP on this one: I follow powerlines

Early in the morning it's a really good route. Afternoons it gets bumpy, always bumpy.

That doesn't work so well on I-70. Going "around the hill" just isn't an option at the tunnel since Loveland Pass is rather lofty itself.

It works just fine. The hill isn't that tall. So long as there isn't much wind or weather, no problem.

Kremling works fine, too.

It works just fine. The hill isn't that tall.

It's fair to say the Colorado Pilot's Association disagrees with you since they recommend that Loveland pass is to be avoided. Personally, I won't even consider the I-70 route in a piston single. I would do it over the top at 16,500 in a piston single but that's not really mountain flying now is it? and it certainly wouldn't be the low altitude route the OP requested.

Again, no need to go over the top when you can go around.

All the same, following roads in that part of the country isn't a bad practice. They tend to stay with the drainage, which is important, and they provide somewhat of an emergency landing source, or at least a clearway, in some areas. Keeping something to land on beneath you when flying in that country is a good practice, as it is anywhere you go.

Again, no need to go over the top when you can go around.

Now why exactly did you feel the need to repeat yourself? Does it somehow make you "right"? Are you one of those people that just has to be right? Maybe you should go hang with "Capitan" and you can both be "right" together?

Hint: if you're going around then you really aren't following I-70.

There isn't a right or wrong answer here.

When following roads, one doesn't normally stay over the dotted line every second of the flight. Deviations from the road are the norm, clearly.

I lost track long ago by the number of people who are mysteriously stymied by an obstacle off the end of the runway. Look, a big obstacle, they say. How could we possibly climb over that?

Why climb over it? Just go around. Much of flying in the mountains is all about going around.

We had a performance expert in a ground school class years ago. He was a fanatic. He had the impact point figured to the square foot where he reckoned we'd smack a small hill if we lost an engine on takeoff, and he was adamant that departing from that runway was unsafe. Now, if you looked down the runway at that hill, he might have been right. One could hit it with a rifle down the centerline. Making a slight turn left or right, however, made the hill a non-issue, and I could never see why he couldn't get it through his head that going around was easier than going through.

Now I'll admit that I don't have any where near the expertise at flying mountains that you probably do, especially in light airplanes. I didn't start flying light airplanes in the mountains until I was nearly fifteen, and thus didn't have the advantage that some might who were born in the left seat. After spending a big chunk of my life flying big and small airplanes into raging forest fires in the mountains, closely following the contours around and down, and treating exits like my life depended on them (it did), I might have missed out on the nuances of actually going around a hill rather than staying dead squat in the center of the road, but there you go.

I flew heavy tankers out of GJT, and light and heavy airplanes all over Colorado, much of it at low altitudes (much lower than most of you will be going, incidentally) and into much tighter spaces in canyons and ridgelines and valleys, so I don't really think it's a matter of being right. There are many ways to skin a cat, a mountain, too, and most of them work out in the end.

For someone who hasn't flown in that country, getting with a friend, an instructor, or some person who has experience flying the terrain and the routing, is a very wise idea.

You asked why I repeated myself, and I'll tell you. I did so because I don't answer to you, can speak quite clearly for myself, and don't need your permission. Thanks for asking. Is that clear for you? You're welcome to repeat yourself, introduce new material, comment, or not, as much as you please, and I probably won't bother trying to ding you for it. How's that for a five dollar deal? How about you bend over backward and extend the same courtesy?

I'd start with the early airmail routes. What worked for those limited performance mail planes in the twenties oughta work for a 172 today.

You asked why I repeated myself, and I'll tell you. I did so because I don't answer to you, can speak quite clearly for myself, and don't need your permission. Thanks for asking. Is that clear for you? You're welcome to repeat yourself, introduce new material, comment, or not, as much as you please, and I probably won't bother trying to ding you for it. How's that for a five dollar deal? How about you bend over backward and extend the same courtesy?

Sorry Dougy, I'm not going to bend over any direction for you.

I really don't care how many hours you claim. When the comments you post doesn't make sense, I might question it. When you repeat it, I might just question that debating tactic. As you note above, I'm free to do so. Got it?

Particularly in the case of insisting the following I-70 is okay because one can go around the hill. If one really does follow I-70 up to the tunnel at 1,000 agl then "going around the hill" isn't a good option in most piston singles. Maybe you'll make it over Loveland pass, maybe not. Would depend on winds and pilot skill.

Now if you meant "go around the hill" to mean take another route entirely then that's a horse of a different color and a rather **** poor approach to communicating.

Either way, good luck in your endeavors and attempts to get folks to bend over for you. :rolleyes:

Apparently you're just one of those folks that has a hard time understanding going around the hill. Fair enough. Not everyone can think for themselves.

Looks like I will be signing up for the mountain course. I did just get my PPL and nowhere near the 125 required for the mountain xc. After reading all the posts I might be better off just flying with someone who's done it before but I need to learn this stuff so maybe after the mountain course I'll do some "light" mountain flying for practice.

Looks like I will be signing up for the mountain course. I did just get my PPL and nowhere near the 125 required for the mountain xc. After reading all the posts I might be better off just flying with someone who's done it before but I need to learn this stuff so maybe after the mountain course I'll do some "light" mountain flying for practice.

Good call. I'm sure finding an experienced POA pilot to go with you won't be that hard.

I have never seen a site or tool that will find a winding path through the mountains. It might be kinda fun to write it. It would involve some nifty vector field calculus. I'll see if I can find a digital elevation file for Colorado.

I use the sectionals that I've stapled to the wall in my Son's room to find my preferred routes through the mountains.

To get to Grand Junction I like Rollins (Corona) Pass to Kremling, Glenwood Springs, then Grand Junction. However, my airplane has significantly more performance than a 172. So climbing over an 11.3k pass in the summer is doable.

Apparently you're just one of those folks that has a hard time understanding going around the hill. Fair enough. Not everyone can think for themselves.

Sorry that you apparently think that someone who has a different opinion has to be denigrated. Perhaps you mean well but your posts don't come across that way. It sounds like it has to be your way or the highway even when multiple folks tell you otherwise. Maybe if you'd be willing to see things from someone else's point of view then they'd be willing to see it from your's?

Why climb over it? Just go around. Much of flying in the mountains is all about going around.
"Just going around" the ridge above the Eisenhower Tunnel is not much of an option since you should have started "going around" way before you get to it. As you can see, I-70 ends in a dead end.

20120509-myjr37i9w1i8jnhernh7iigi1d.png

The OP is also flying a C-172...

I do not. Using Loveland pass isn't necessarily his only choice. Going around means using lower terrain, passes, etc. There's no rule which says one must fly over the highest peak; going between the hills still works, as does having alternatives.

I do not. Using Loveland pass isn't necessarily his only choice. Going around means using lower terrain, passes, etc. There's no rule which says one must fly over the highest peak; going between the hills still works, as does having alternatives.
OK, then you point out on a map where you would go in your 172 after you enter this valley.

Is this the site you're referring to?

http://coloradopilots.org/mtnfly_passes.asp?menuID=80~80

I just use a sectional chart, but the above site looks very useful for Colorado.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=38.509805556,-107.89425&chart=18&zoom=8

It works just fine. The hill isn't that tall.

In a 172? I'm sure there are plenty of 172's that would have to really fight to get to 13,000 feet, and if you're at 13,000 through Loveland pass, you may well run into a truck. (0 AGL = 12,990 MSL.)

I've been through it in the 182, though... Light, still with plenty of performance to spare (had it up to 17,500 a couple days later).

From Erie in a 172, I would fly north to the Poudre River then follow up to Cameron pass or turn up the Big South and over La Poudre Pass. La Poudre is the headwaters of the Colorado. All down hill to Junction from there. A few years ago there was a 172 that ran out of service ceiling and put down in the Loveland ski area. No fatalities by luck. Of course it all depend on the weather. I have ended up on Wyoming and New Mexico to get around.

In a 172? I'm sure there are plenty of 172's that would have to really fight to get to 13,000 feet, and if you're at 13,000 through Loveland pass, you may well run into a truck. (0 AGL = 12,990 MSL.)

I've been through it in the 182, though... Light, still with plenty of performance to spare (had it up to 17,500 a couple days later).

Such a way to type 'bout a 172. Hey I started climbing on departure from PUB and had a 172 up to 10,500 by the time I got to COS. It was still climbing a bit more than 100 fpm but I quit there.

Doug

Based on your resume in hours, familiarity with Colorado geography, type of aircraft and type of flights, you have considerably more experience than the OP who admits to being low-time and a novice. You have years of terrain knowledge, of weather, thermals, etc. Getting out of trouble is instinctive for you because you've probably repeatedly dealt with the issues over the years.

There are two problems with the I-70 route using Loveland Pass for the OP.
1. The road is not conducive to landing anywhere.
2. There are no "outs"
3. A C172 does not have the HP to get out of trouble

You obviously have the experience to thread your way thru the hills. Have fun. Remember your 406 PLB, I'm sure Nate will appreciate it.

Last edited:
Here's a slightly widened view of the map around Loveland Pass.

Skyhawk drivers can look at the options and altitudes and decide if they think Doug's advice is sound. Look around on it. The road goes into the tunnel. You were following it. Probably upwind. Groundspeed is slow. Where you want to go?

I'll add that prevailing winds are typically out of the Northwest aloft and note the orientation of the ridge lines and the pass itself. Standing at the top of the pass in the parking lot, it's regularly blowing hard up there. The top of Loveland ski area has to be one of the windiest skiing I've ever done anywhere, and it's consistent up there too. There's a reason Loveland is cheaper than some of the other nearby ski areas. Arapahoe Basin too. Cold doesn't begin to describe the wind chill on the top ski lift at A-Basin. ;)

Try to imagine water flowing over those bumps from the top left of this map to the bottom right and where would the craziest eddies and pools be in a river? One bad place would be directly in the Pass.

And, how does one cross that pass at a 45 degree angle for a quick turn-out if downdrafts higher that the climb performance of the aircraft are encountered?

Even Kent's crossing in a Skylane is iffy on a windy day aloft. In a Skyhawk I truly believe Loveland Pass is suicidal on a windy day. Certainly not comfortable. A non-windy day atop Loveland Pass is pretty rare.

There's better places to cross with less time spent over the highest terrain and better options for a survivable crash if the engine quits.

Not saying Doug's incorrect that you can probably squeak out a crossing there in a Skyhawk on a perfect day. Just saying there's a lot better places to do it. 180 HP Skyhawk preferred.

4174f10e-d84a-9607.jpg

OK, then you point out on a map where you would go in your 172 after you enter this valley.

I'm afraid with my computer lack of technical expertise, I couldn't even post the map, let alone figure out how to point out terrain on it. Who needs to enter the valley? One can go around; that's really the point isn't it? There are a number of other better routes across the state, as has been pointed out numerous times, and one is best advised to take experience along, especially the first time. This has also been pointed out again and again.

Skyhawk drivers can look at the options and altitudes and decide if they think Doug's advice is sound. Look around on it. The road goes into the tunnel. You were following it. Probably upwind. Groundspeed is slow. Where you want to go?

Some of you are so busy trying to find fault, or perhaps lack the experience to make the decision yourselves (who knows?), you missed the point. At no time did I ever suggest one should pick a road and stay directly over it at all times, and only an idiot would follow the road to the tunnel in a suicidal bid to maintain the highway centerline.

Roadmaps provide some measure of guidance that is usefulwhen planning a trip. A roadmap doesn't mean one must stay atop the road for any or all of the trip. It's a starting point. It covers known points. Roads tend to follow drainages, and provide some useful insight into the routing that can add to one's use of sectionals and other charts.

And, how does one cross that pass at a 45 degree angle for a quick turn-out if downdrafts higher that the climb performance of the aircraft are encountered?

A better practice is to parallel the ridge, close, and give a greater out with decreasing performance; a quick turn across the ridge and down works better than a 45 degree approach, especially when flying in the mountains close to one's performance margins.

There are two problems with the I-70 route using Loveland Pass for the OP.
1. The road is not conducive to landing anywhere.
2. There are no "outs"
3. A C172 does not have the HP to get out of trouble

You should never fly with the idea that you have horsepower to get you out of trouble. That's where planning comes into play. Most of my flying in mountain areas revolves around using orographic lift for performance. Learn to fly a sailplane and you'll gain a greater appreciation for operating a lower performance aircraft in the mountains. Mountain flying isn't about outperforming the hills. You won't do that in a light airplane. In fact, you won't do that in most aircraft. The terrain will nearly always outclimb you. You can outplan it, you can outfly it, but you can't match it for power or performance.

I certainly never suggested that the original poster venture out on his own to challenge the hills. I grew up flying light airplanes in the mountains, and it doesn't concern me a great deal. One needs to use the mountains to one's advantage. One needs to have an understanding of flying in the mountains. One shouldn't simply strike out on one's own and guess, or try to teach one's self.

I've spent a lot of time flying aircraft loaded down heavily with retardant that can't do better than 100 fpm climb on a really good day, into mountain areas. I survived doing this by using the terrain to my advantage, always having an escape, usually several, and by very thorough planning and a willingness to say "no." Simply planning which side of the valley to fly often makes the difference between positive climb performance and negative performance.

Yes, the wind blows up there. Yes, there's a lot of descending air. There's also a lot of rising air. Yes, the airplane will be capable of being flown higher in the mountains than it will go in the flatlands, because if one knows where to find lift, there's a lot of extra performance available to use.

At a mountain drop zone, I regularly flew loads of jumpers to 16,000 in 182's, all day long. I flew loads of gas cans, river runners, and cargo and people in and out of the Grand Canyon, in 172's, landing down in canyons and canyon airstrips, and climbing out of canyon areas over mountains all day long, when the airplane didn't have the performance to get there by itself. Flying the terrain, using the terrain, and especially orographic lifting, made the difference, and was a routine part of making those flights. It's all about using the terrain and some common sense.

Anyone ever watch the Cessna 150 towing gliders out of Telluride? They tow gliders there all day long too, and they do it quite well. Mountains are there to be respected, but the world doesn't end where the mountains begin, and neither does flying. There's a great deal of wealth in enjoyment, experience, and for those who so desire, adventure to be had flying in the mountains. The mountains aren't forgiving, but then not much in aviation is.

As for using the roads, yes, they do make useful emergency landing sites. Anyone here ever make a forced landing in the mountains following an engine failure? I have.

Based on your resume in hours, familiarity with Colorado geography, type of aircraft and type of flights, you have considerably more experience than the OP who admits to being low-time and a novice. You have years of terrain knowledge, of weather, thermals, etc. Getting out of trouble is instinctive for you because you've probably repeatedly dealt with the issues over the years.

There's no question about that, and I recognize the disparity. I'm not telling anyone to blast off willy nilly and fly themselves into a mountainside, and I certainly never told anyone to hover over the highway in a desperate bid to get through the tunnel. I did strongly recommend that the original poster get an instructor or a trusted friend who knows the terrain, knows mountains, knows his airplane, knows the weather, knows the capabilities and especially the limitations, and who can make the trip an educational and safe one, to accompany him and teach him about flying in that country. I also encouraged him to use varioius resources at hand (including road maps) to help determine a good route through to GJT.

The original poster may want to make various forrays into hilly areas over time. Not all in one day. Make a day trip here or there. An eventual trip to leadville has been all but a right of passage for many, if only to say they'd done it, bought the tee shirt. He or she may decide to drive on the appointed day. He or she may go north or south. All valid decisions, valid choices. I've driven that route many times, and flown it many times. It's beautiful country. It could easily become one's grave if one makes poor choices, and it could also become a great learning experience and a valued memory. One must approach it responsibly.

Many times I've flown general aviation airplanes into or through terrain I couldn't climb over on power alone, and I've done it on the merits of flying the terrain, tucking up to ridges where I found lift, and flying the proper sideof the valley, by knowing the winds, knowing where I could expect lift and where I could expect not to have it, and always leaving myself generous outs, as should everyone that flies in the mountains.

Most definitely one shouldn't simply blast over the hills without planning, thinking about it, preparing, and getting adequate training. One ought not do it the first time out. Can one do it? Absolutely, and one can do it safely. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. Can it be done by anyone, with all of the aforementioned in preparation? Yes. Should it be done alone? Not necessarily; that depends on the person, the aircraft, the day, the weather, the circumstance, the preparation, and so on. Each must decide.

I suspect the original poster is smart enough to recognize all this, just as the original poster is smart enough to know not to tackle it straight across by himself the first time out. I even give the original poster enough credit not to be idiotic enough to think of trying to fly into the hillside while hovering over the road centerline by the tunnel. Nobody is going to try that, especially based on the merits of an internet discussion board.

The trip is doable, and it's majestic country. Nobody puts a gun to your head and makes you fly it, but for those who choose to do so it's not only possible but enjoyable, challenging, and memorable.

I'm afraid with my computer lack of technical expertise, I couldn't even post the map, let alone figure out how to point out terrain on it. Who needs to enter the valley? One can go around; that's really the point isn't it? There are a number of other better routes across the state, as has been pointed out numerous times, and one is best advised to take experience along, especially the first time. This has also been pointed out again and again.
So you are backing off your previous statement? Good.

I'll add that I wasn't picking on Doug's commentary about generally using roads and river drainages as good ways to get across the rocks, just the specific path of one road (I-70) and the Pass it leads to (Loveland).

That particular specific crossing spot isn't the smartest for a Skyhawk. Any pass you can climb above (and as Kent pointed out, Loveland Pass is at 11,990'') you can certainly fly over on a nice day. It's just that there's better options.

I-70 plows right straight through one of the highest overall sections in the Continental Divide. So as a road to follow, it's not great. Some other roads are good.

From the Colorado Division of Aeronautics Airport Directory:

"Loveland:
Route: Denver west to Dillon Valley and central mountains. Road elevation: 11,990' MSL. This pass is not visible to any weather reporting stations. Although this route follows Interstate 70, the terrain is very rugged. Expect turbulence and down drafts with high winds aloft."

Some other interesting/tricky ones:

"Independance:
Route: Leadville to Aspen. Road elevation 12,094' MSL. This pass is not visible to any weather reporting stations. This is a winding pass over rugged terrain with blind turns. Turbulence with up and down drafts likely. Highway below is open and passable during summer months only."

And the biggest warning of them all is reserved for the one with the most wrecks still littering the hillsides:

"Monarch:
Route: Salida to Gunnison. Road elevation 11,312' MSL. Vicinity of pass visible to weather reporters at Salida and Gunnison. This pass has historically had a great number of crashes. As always with pass flying, attain maximum altitude before approaching the pass. Do not attempt to climb across. AWOS station is positioned on this pass."

Another dangerous one:

"Weston:
Route: South Park to Arkansas Valley, Leadville, and central mountains. Approximate trail elevation 11,960' MSL. Vicinity of pass is visible to weather observers in Leadville. Caution: Strong down drafts and turbulence. This pass is a narrow canyon with a blind turn on either end."

There are three or four others with significant warnings.

I still want to go fly Mosquito Pass in good weather... because it has a unique feature:

"Mosquito:
Route: Denver to Fairplay to Leadville. Trail elevation 13,186' MSL. This pass is not visible to any weather reporting stations. This is the highest pass in the United States. High north and northwest winds aloft likely to cause turbulence and strong down drafts."

Anyone ever watch the Cessna 150 towing gliders out of Telluride? They tow gliders there all day long too, and they do it quite well.

Yes, and I was pretty amazed until I notice the one I saw had an O-360 conversion. 180 hp on that little airframe did pretty good.

Back