Low Volume radios

bdlarkin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
The issue:

Piper Archer II with radios wired to a Bendix/King KMA24 wired to a PS-Engineering 1000II which is in turn wired to the headsets.

Lately (last 6 months) the volume on the radios (any radio, com1/com2/nav1/nav2) has to be turned on max to hear the radio and even at max its mainly "quiet" on the headsets.

Each of my partners has different headsets, but the problem exists no matter what combination of headset is on board.

In addition, we've lost sidetone (e.g. hearing on the co-pilot';s headset when the pilot is transmitting).

No fiddling with dials on the KMA24 or intercom fixes the problem. Jacking up the volume on the intercom only increases the volume of the intercom, not the radios.

The thought is that its the KMA24. Some of the partners are for sending it off during the upcoming annual to have it bench checked and/or repaired, others are for replacing it with the PS-Engineering PMA7000B (which recently had a price drop!). I suppose it could be the separate intercom as well, which if we were going to replace htat we might as well replace the KMA too to simplify the wiring back there and get the additional features of the PS-Engineering 7000B.

Anybody have a similar experience? Is it the KMA24? Something else? How many AMU's is this going to cost us? Any PIREPS on the PS-Engineering 7000B? Or other intercom/audio panels such as the Garmin 340?

The strange thing is it worked before, so something must have changed back there. Either one of the boxes went or a wire came loose or something.

Brian
N9093K

Hubby says:
Contact PS-Engineering. http://ps-engineering.com They are very helpful. Their website has an FAQ on PS1000II without sidetone. http://ps-engineering.com/faq.shtml#16 . Try turning off the intercom and see if it makes any difference because their intercoms send signal straight through in the case of failure or being turned off. In any event, it is either the intercom or the king or wiring. Probably the King because it is old technology. Or flaky wiring.

Last edited:
Thanks Peggy, I'm pretty sure I tried that in my testing, but now thinking about it maybe I didn't. I'll check it out next time I'm at the plane.

Brian
N9093K

I've got a lot of time behind both the PS Engineering 6000 and the Garmin 340. Both are WAY nicer than the older King, Cessna, etc. intercoms and audio panels. In fact, the first time I got behind the PS, it was not the GPS in the plane that I noticed, it was the audio panel. "Wow, I don't have to shout for two seconds to break squelch! Nice!" :yes:

Back