"low time PP blues"

redcloud

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scott keyes
Well it seem others commonly relate their experiences for feedback or just as a means to vent; so bear with me and respond if you've been there!

I completed my PP in Oct. and began my IR almost immediately. I think it is going well (20 hours into it), but with the cold weather and gusty winds (ok, perhaps I am a whimp, but getting the plane out is a pain when its cold)I have only around 25 hours solo, as a newly minted pilot, since my checkride. Perhaps, I need to relocate to where Nick lives!

Anyway, It has been about 3 weeks since flying by myself. It gets very comforting having a teacher in the right seat. I have been wanting to get out by myself but kept talking myself out of it (winds 15 g to23 20 to 30 degrees off the runway or similar lately and 25-30 degrees F). Well, I finally decided that the "ticket" wasn't just handed to me and it was time to exercise it.

Went to the airport tonight after work, lit er up and did a few touch and gos. Guess what? I HADN'T FORGOT HOW TO BANK, OR ADJUST POWER SETTINGS, OR LAND, or ETC.!

Do any other of you ever get a little jumpy or fearful or circumspect when you you have been away for awhile or if you have been flying with another consistently? Or am I just being a little silly?

Scott

Hmm.. I don't really know what to tell you there. I fly an average of about 10 hours per month. I have 132.2 hours total with 40.2 of that being dual and 60 hours of XC. So the majority of my flights are solo, with a good portion cross country, most of that operating around class bravo.

There are people that question themselves if they haven't flown for awhile, and there are those that don't. Thing is the ones that end up bending metal are going to be the ones that didn't question themselves.

I don't think it's a bad thing to question yourself, although it can get to the point to where it just hurts yourself.

It's a fine line...I couldn't tell you how to dance it.

Scott: You have described how I feel to a T. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. In fact my recent flight to Toby's KLNS fly in was my first without another pilot in the right seat (CFI or Friend) since last May. I feel that extra pilot does make me a bit more comfortable. But it feels oh soooo good to take her up and land and there werent' anyone but you who could fly it.:yes:

redcloud said:
Do any other of you ever get a little jumpy or fearful or circumspect when you you have been away for awhile or if you have been flying with another consistently? Or am I just being a little silly?

Scott
Right after I got my PP, I did feel this way.

I question myself before every flight. Even on the drive to the aprt I am questioning myself. Even after all that I may sit in the cockpit for a brief moment not touching anything as I run my mental checklist. It's a self diagnostic routine to confirm I feel good about what I'm about to do.

I feel confident in the cockpit but I don't want to get so comfortable that I become complacent. I don't think it's paranoia as much as it is a desire to avoid the paralysis that comes when confronted by the unexpected. Bottom line, I strive to expect the unexpected. It's a fine line 'tween being on pins & needles and being on my toes.

It sounds like a platitude, I know, but don't accept almost, half-way, or good enough. Force yourself, if force is needed, to develop the habit of not settling for 'good enough'.

Aim high, be all you can be, a few good....aw, forget it.

BTW: why'd you start your IR so soon after getting the PPL? Go get some solo time. Just my suggestion, there are others here much more experienced than I.

Richard said:
I question myself before every flight. Even on the drive to the aprt I am questioning myself. Even after all that I may sit in the cockpit for a brief moment not touching anything as I run my mental checklist. It's a self diagnostic routine to confirm I feel good about what I'm about to do.

I feel confident in the cockpit but I don't want to get so comfortable that I become complacent. I don't think it's paranoia as much as it is a desire to avoid the paralysis that comes when confronted by the unexpected. Bottom line, I strive to expect the unexpected. It's a fine line 'tween being on pins & needles and being on my toes.

It sounds like a platitude, I know, but don't accept almost, half-way, or good enough. Force yourself, if force is needed, to develop the habit of not settling for 'good enough'.

Well said.

redcloud said:
I completed my PP in Oct. and began my IR almost immediately. I think it is going well (20 hours into it), but with the cold weather and gusty winds (ok, perhaps I am a whimp, but getting the plane out is a pain when its cold)I have only around 25 hours solo

Scott, how many of those 25hrs are PIC XC? You will need at least 50 PIC XC as part of the qualifications to go for the IR ride. After PP, I took a break and did an intro acro/unusual course, then got in about 40 PIC XC before starting IR, glad I did.

Make every fun flight a flight of at least 50nm, and your fun flights can count towards that 50 PIC XC. Also, pick a different airport destination every time, keeps it fun, and gives you good experience dealing with new situations.

Back