Low Profile LED Strobe

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I have a giant - probably 6" diameter x 6-8" high - strobe on the top empennage of the Comanche. I'm looking to lower the profile of that. Anything out there that is pretty low profile? Like maybe 1" tall or so?

If there isn't I may just end up building my own LED array to mount.

I have a giant - probably 6" diameter x 6-8" high - strobe on the top empennage of the Comanche. I'm looking to lower the profile of that. Anything out there that is pretty low profile? Like maybe 1" tall or so?

Is this light required as 91.209 requires?

This might work.

11-11554-2013a.jpg

Dimensions (inches) 2.52” x 2.52” x 1.57”
Dimensions (mm) 64 x 64 x 40
Operating Voltage Range 9-32 Vdc
Weight 150g / 5.29oz

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/galacticaredbaronxp.php

Ed you need to ask ICS, that's why they exist. You aren't the first one to go down this path.

I was a member for a year - but got nothing out of it, and haven't been one since '10. A light is a light is a light on any airplane so long as it's bright enough, the color is in the right range, and you position it correctly.

And James, I can build one for less than $850.

"Certified" light, you can't really say you're surprised

"Certified" light, you can't really say you're surprised

I'm not, but I can OPP for a fraction of it and not worry about whether it's an "experimental" part or not.

I have the latest Whelen LED on my tail. It's pretty effin bright and low pro for sure. It replaced a Whelen strobe and there is no comparison it light output. Might give you a knot over the big one you have. My MX had it installed in a hour and hour and a half.

I'd recommend it. In fact, a guy on the field with a strait tail 172 saw mine and bough one too. He asked me to stop upgrading my plane because he can't afford it!

I have the latest Whelen LED on my tail. It's pretty effin bright and low pro for sure. It replaced a Whelen strobe and there is no comparison it light output. Might give you a knot over the big one you have. My MX had it installed in a hour and hour and a half.

I'd recommend it. In fact, a guy on the field with a strait tail 172 saw mine and bough one too. He asked me to stop upgrading my plane because he can't afford it!

Mine isn't on my tail. Which means running wiring, putting a new fin cap on, etc...

If you look on my avatar you can see where it is on the top edge of the profile above the N.

I'm not, but I can OPP for a fraction of it and not worry about whether it's an "experimental" part or not.

Where is the line from an Owner Produced Part to a"non-certified" typically drawn?

If you build the mechanical housing/fixture/bracket to adapt a "non-certified" part into your OPP assembly, are you good to go?

(Nobody is building an LED, or a circuit board, or drawing wire and insulating it, all are just components.)

11-07360-2013a.jpg

Experimental - $679

05-08099-2013a.jpg

Certified - $1263

Not fair. The reason hangar fairies exist.

And I know that this isn't related to the OP's question...just struck a nerve.

I'm better now.

Which one is it? LED on the tail is on my xmas list.

Aren't there TSO requirements for lights suitable for night op's in certified aircraft?

Which one is it? LED on the tail is on my xmas list.

Each plane is gonna be different based on the hole size. Mine was a K2U mod and has an inch and a half hole. My part number was something like 73021 or similar. Whelens Aircraft lights page has a 3 page PFD on the features of all their newest LEDs and a cross references to legacy part numbers for drop in retrofit.

My Kuntzelman beacon just crapped out (for the second time) and, man, I wanted that Aveo Galactica beacon... but for the $800 plus I had to get a different fairing for my vertical stabilizer... I ended up just getting the $500 Whelen LED... I thought about the hangar fairy version of the Aveo (at $500), but I guess I just like to play it too honest...

Yeah, there is a much smaller Whelen product, but Xenon, not LED. Call White Industries or one of the other salvage yards, they used to have them cheap.

Key word: ADVISORY circular.

Also the term "strobe" and "anti-collision" and "anti collision" do not show in the AC.

Last edited:
I did this on my Sierra, using an Aveo light; gained at least 10 knots (that's just a ballpark figure :) ) I must have used one of the "mini" variants, as I don't recall it costing $900, but maybe I've chosen to block that from memory.

Last edited:
Key word: ADVISORY circular.

Also the term "strobe" and "anti-collision" and "anti collision" do not show in the AC.

They do indeed need to meet spec, and the thing about them is, they are things that inspectors notice if they are on a ramp during a walk about.

Mine sits on the empennage about 2-3 feet in front of the vertical stab

Mine sits on the empennage about 2-3 feet in front of the vertical stab

You can build your own, but I question the suitability of LED to serve as a strobe, maybe better to do a sequencing to create a rotating beacon effect.

Not to derail, but I've been looking for a low profile beacon for the vertical stab on my 185, wonder if there is a better -and legal- option other than the standard issue monster or blowing huge bucks on many of the overpriced TSOed units you regularly see.

image.jpg

Dude, on your plane that beacon doesn't cost you anything, as long as it works and meets the requirements set forth in the FARs, just leave it alone. When it breaks, then you can replace it and new options will exist by then. No matter what you use, it's going to be an expensive PITA with no pay off if you replace a working unit.

Last edited:
11-07360-2013a.jpg

Experimental - $679

05-08099-2013a.jpg

Certified - $1263

Not fair. The reason hangar fairies exist.

And I know that this isn't related to the OP's question...just struck a nerve.

I'm better now.

I hate to break it to you, but you got your captions and photos mixed up.

Probably right, just found this article on molding tail lights,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-lenses-even-with-led-tail-light-guts.237338/

As it stands I only fit in large king air/ caravan sized hangars, my current T hangar had to even be tweaked to get my plane in. Figured if I could trim a few inches I might fit into the typical hangar if ever needed.

I'd wait until I ran into the situation and it paid off. A 185 on amphibs doesn't clear into most standard T-hangars by more than a few inches.:lol:
It's doable, but remember, if it's flush on the top, it has to be significantly wide enough to produce 360° visibility.

Back