Low-level Flight

"Low-level Flight" NOT TRUE! Well, actually about 1000 msl but the image is a 3:1 aspect ratio crop across the middle of a full-frame shot. This is Five Islands village of Georgetown, Maine, about 6sm below my house. Island at left is Malden, in back of which is Hen Island; the harbor in the middle background. At right is Little Crow Island and more of the shoreline. This is one of about 133 photos from the August 23 shoot.

(EDIT) Below is another 3:1 aspect ratio crop of the posted image, of the harbor section between the islands at left and right. Of course, it loses some sharpness because of the tight crop.

Last edited:
There are are a lot of empty mooring balls. August 23? Most of the out-of-staters have vacated their cottages and headed back home to get the kids back in school. Thus boats have been pulled for winter storage, if not journeyed to the home states.

The first four or five shots on that run were at Wiscasset Airport. The P-51 from the Commemorative Air Force was re-fueling. The pilot's outfit on his back was "Tuskeegee Air Force" or something like that. He was later on his way to Chicago, did a couple fly-by maneuvers (having fun) for us when he left town. I'll post the images when I get them cleaned up.

HR

Last edited:
I have more images of P-51 but the systems keeps refusing the uploads. Will keep trying, later.

That's "Old Red Nose." She's based down here in Atlanta. Think she just got a complete overhaul. $1,600 and they'll take you up for 20 minutes.:)

That's "Old Red Nose." She's based down here in Atlanta. Think she just got a complete overhaul. $1,600 and they'll take you up for 20 minutes.:)
I think the pilot said that she is one of the original two planes that comprised the older Confederate Air Force inventory. Did I hear correctly?

HR

I think the pilot said that she is one of the original two planes that comprised the older Confederate Air Force inventory. Did I hear correctly?

HR

Yep, I think it's actually the very first one. Bought in 1957. They painted Confederate Air Force on it and the name stuck.

Http//www.Timesrecord.com

I'm featured on Page 2 (only on August 25 edition)
If you missed the date, this Link might work(and might not).
http://www.timesrecord.com/news/2016-08-25/Front_Page/GEORGETOWN_FROM_ABOVE.html

In the image, at bottom is Mink Island. Above Mink is Hen and Malden Islands(connected by a foot bridge). Five Islands Harbor; Little Crow Island; above Crow is McMahan Island.
Mink, Hen, and Malden are privately owned, were settled over 120 years ago by several families from Malden, MA. Decendents of those still own the islands and come every summer to the cottages. I was recently contacted by a lady from Weymouth, MA about one of my aerials. She is the 7th generation of one of those Malden families. Very interesting town, this Georgetown; just celebrated its 300th anniversary a couple months ago. Look up the name William Zorach(famed sculptor, deceased); Wiliam, son Tessim, his wife Marguerite "Peggy", Tessim's sister Dahlov Zorach Ipcar, all famed painters; the family "compound" is a couple miles from my house. Your children may have Dahlov's books. She's 98, still painting and publishing books - terrific lady.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=Dahlov+Ipcar?&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

HR

Last edited:
Back