Low cost GPS?

maximus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MAXIMUS
I dropped my Magellan 315 in the lake the other day and ruined the little guy :(

What GPS would you recommend. My budget is only $200-400.

Maximus

Last edited:
Haven't checked the prices, but I like my backup Garmin Pilot III.

The Garmin 96 is only $469, if you can stretch just a bit more. Smallish screen, but very clear, fast updates, and personally I really like the Garmin user interface.

Jeff

The garmin 195 is going for about 250-300 on ebay right now which is a good price for a good unit.

Joe Williams said:
You could hit E-bay and find a bunch of used gps' in your budget. Ther are a couple really nice new ones you can find around your $400 limit too. The Lowrance Airmap 500 is a really nice GPS, on my wish list. It's listed at $399.

http://www.joepilot.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId={56CF7B6D-1D5D-4521-B161-31FBA39B767EVERESTC}&ic=112%2D16&eq=&Tp=

Sporty's also has them for the same price.

The site I posted btw, Joepilot.com, is Airways pilot shop's new online site. I like the name :)

Joe here is the airmap 500 for only $339 :)

http://www.airplanegear.com/special-airmap500.htm

My only avionics were the factory-original 1979-vintage Narco mechanically-tuned junk that sort of works most of the time so I just bought a Lowrance 500 at AirWays for $370, and thought I was getting a good deal until I saw what Maximus posted -- same unit, cheaper. Been using it for a few weeks now, and it's a real nice compact little buddy to have along, at least until I get the GNS480/MX20 put in, and then it will be a nice backup unit. There may be other units that are better/cheaper, but without having tried them, I can say that I definitely do not feel like I my $$ worth. Sure hope the Cougar sells soon so I can buy the Garmin stuff.

AirBaker said:
Haven't checked the prices, but I like my backup Garmin Pilot III.

Same here and i think they are waterproof!

Back