Lost (mislaid) Medical?

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
So last night I'm getting my stuff together for tonight and I realize - oh no, I've lost my latest medical cert! I had one done in July of 05, and I'm not yet 40 so its good till next year.

So can I get a replacement, and how, or should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and get a new one done?

Yes, you can get a replacement -- and quickly. "To order a duplicate certificate, call (405) 954-7674 to reach the duplicate certificate desk." They can fax you a paper you can use until your new certificate arrives in the mail.

Hmph. Called that number. "Those need to be requested in writing with a $2.00 check or money order." and gave me an address.

Hmph. Called that number. "Those need to be requested in writing with a $2.00 check or money order." and gave me an address.

This happened to my dad a few weeks ago while he was on the road. He called the same number that Ron posted and they were able to quickly fax him a letter verifying FAA medical certification (which is legal to fly with) while they prepared a new medical to mail to him. When he got home after his week on the road, he received the medical, mailed a $2.00 check, found his original medical on the dresser and the replacement in the mail. Doh.

Not sure if they faxed it to him quickly because he is a professional flight crew member and had scheduled trips the following day, but they should be able to do the same for you.

If you go to the FAA site you can request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges. They will send you an e-mail stating you have a current certificate and medical. You need to create an account first, however.

The e-mail arrives instantly and is good for 60 days.

You may request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges of a valid airman and/or medical certificate or verification of an expired flight instructor certificate in the form of a facsimile (FAX) or e-mail. This authority will be valid for 60 days pending receipt of a permanent replacement certificate or reinstatement of an expired flight instructor certificate. Only one (1) on-line request for temporary authority can be obtained within any six (6) month period.​

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/airmen_services/

Last edited:
I'm trying that, iDiot, but they don't seem to mention medicals, just certs... Waiting on the email now.

Confirmed - the email is just verification that you have a certificate, it does not mention the medical.

Bah, it'll be faster to just go have it done again a year early.

It'll be something I pay in due time anyway. This is the last time I get to do it every 3 years, anyway, so if it's $100 more over the course of my flying, I'll live.

No idea how I mislaid it tho - I usually fold it and keep it with my cert. Hell i still have my Student copy.

Its turning into an eventful aviation month for me. Appt. scheduled for next wednesday at 6:45pm.

Confirmed - the email is just verification that you have a certificate, it does not mention the medical.

Bah, it'll be faster to just go have it done again a year early.

I'm quite surprised they can't just fax one right over to you while you mail them a letter and $2.00 check for a replacement medical. 'Guess the right person isn't working at Ok. City today.

Honestly, I'm not all that fussed about it.

I'm flying dual tonight. I won't be flying again until at least next week, so I'm in no rush, and as I said earlier, its *one* more medical exam than I'd otherwise be paying for over the course of my entire life.

I know its not necessarily the best fiscal policy, but I have enough stresses at work already, I'm not interested in trying to push some pencil pushing gov't worker to send me something I don't have an urgent need to get sent. I'll take the route of confrontation avoidance this time, cause it just ain't that important to me right now.

Mine e-mail mentioned the medical when I requested it. I needed verification of both my certificates (regular one and CFI) as well as my medical. I lost all of them at once when out of town. Choose " request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges" instead of "request verification of certificate privileges".

This is only good for 60 days. You have to request replacement copies of your medical and certificates separately.

They should mail you two medicals and pilot certificates when you first achieve them, in order to avoid this.
Nothing worse than misplacing them the night before an early flight. Who is going to fax anything to you then?
Many people are now applying for a duplicate as soon as they get their first one...and leaving the duplicate in a safe at home etc.
I don't recommend this; obtaining duplicates when you have not lost the first copy is probably illegal. However, "PPP does PPPP".

Found it.

My dog ate my wallet. In replacing it and going thru the various papers within, I found it.

I'd forgotten the replacement was *white*, not yellow.

Man did I feel guilty about yelling so bad at my dog after I found the destroyed wallet. She must have been trying to find it for me...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back