Lost communication scenario and minimum altitude to fly.

In some countries MSA's are operational altitudes and form a portion of instrument approaches. That is not the case in the US. Barring an emergency you will never use an MSA.

Bob Gardner
Let us say you go missed on approach during Lost Comm, and want to shoot another approach. That is the case when I will look up MSA and OROCA altitude and fly the highest correct?

This is uncharted regulatory territory. Use common sense and your PIC authority to do what you think best. There can't be a rule for everything. What action would you take after climbing to either the MSA or OROCA?

As it happens, I was once in that situation: I was on top of a cloud layer after taking off from Boeing Field's runway 31 when I lost comms...I climbed to the initial approach altitude for the runway 13R ILS, did a procedure turn, and shot the ILS back into Boeing. I knew the Puget Sound airspace like the back of my hand, so climbing to the MSA would have made no sense. The "off-route obstruction clearance altitude" is pretty useless in that situation. I didn't get so much as a "call the tower" request...but called them on the phone after landing to explain what had happened.

Late edit: I could transmit but not receive, so I broadcast my intentions on the approach control frequency.

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
Back