Lost another pilot certificate

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
Well, I lost another pilot certificate today. Actually just the corner. The DPE cut it off after he gave me my new temporary certificate.

I added a single engine sea rating to my commercial certificate.

Write ups of training are here: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-where-do-we-stand.61619/page-99#post-3354498
and here: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-where-do-we-stand.61619/page-99#post-3354971

The weather for the check ride was looking iffy last night and even this morning. We had a cold front come through and the rain stopped about 9:00 with clouds at 600 feet and winds forecast to 18G26 by noon. My exam was scheduled for 9AM. It worked out that we sandwiched my ride in between the rain and the winds. Clouds were about 600 feet but we slipped out to the east end of Lake Dora where it's class G and were able to get all the stuff done.

Oral went relatively quick. Questions about what kind of floats (EDO 2440), how much they support (2440lbs), how many compartments (required 4, these have 7) and why (so one leak won't sink the plane, water doesn't slosh), etc. What's different about preflighting a float plane over a land plane? (Water rudders, float sump, water in fuel) What are the considerations for cross country flights in a straight float plane? (Where can we get fuel? How do we know?) What's a plough turn? When do we use it? What can we do if we don't want to use a plough turn? (Sail) How do we set controls to turn right while sailing? (Alierons right, rudder left). And one I hadn't read or discussed, if we're using an idle taxi and want to slow down what can we do to reduce engine output? (Pull carb heat and use one mag).

Flight test was 4 takeoffs and landings. We started with a rough water takeoff, flew from the west end down to the east end of Lake Dora to get into the class G airspace. Discussed a glassy water landing and set up and did one. It was a bit windy to the plane didn't want to just stay steady with the power and pitch set but I kept with it and it was good. Then a modified confined area takeoff (only turned about 45 off the wind rather than 90). Continued the turn for that until we were downwind again then did a confined landing. Took off and set up for a rough water landing. On short final he told me to go around. He asked me why and I said we were getting bit close to the shore and he asked "Any other reason?" I said I didn't know. He said try another and this one was fine. Then step taxied back in, beached the plane and we were done. He said it was very well done.

In the debrief he told me I had gotten slow on the first rough water final. Float planes are so draggy that you can't really cushion a landing with a little power it takes a lot and still may not. Thee only other tip he had was use ground effect on every take off unless it's confined. I was climbing out at lower speed. This makes sense to me. In a land plane, hit Vy and get altitude. That's your best insurance and builds you options. In a seaplane, you are surrounded by runway so stay low, build speed and then climb since you are in a draggy plane that needs speed to land.

Overall, it was an absolute blast. I didn't get above 700 feet the entire time. Flew tons of low maneuvering in nice scenery and loved it.

Jone's Brothers was very squared away and it all went smoothly. I recommend them if you want a rating, some experience or just a nice ride.

John

Great write up and a good review for me. Did I miss what kind of airplane this was? I did mine a long, long time ago, and have less than 10 hours on floats since then. But it is certainly a lot of fun and probably the easiest checkride.

Congratulations!

Today was my big day. Passed my checkride after a long sleepless night . Thankfully, the adrenaline kept me awake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114_154617_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114_154617_Gallery.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 9
I once held a certificate for only about 20 - 30 seconds.

I had turned in my certificate when I did my milcomp exam. Right after I graduated, I set up to do my Glider commercial with the FAA examiner out of the GADO (yes, it was a while ago). But I pointed out, I did not have my temp certificate back. He said he would take care of that.

We did the oral and the flight. So he hands me my Commercial AMEL IA, Private ASEL/S and says sign this. And then he takes it away, to issue my Commercial ASEL IA G, Private ASEL/S.

Back