Lost Airworthiness Certificate, how long to replace?

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
How long does it take for the FDSO to replace a lost airworthiness certificate, and what's involved - after you make the appointment with airworthiness inspector?

inav8r said:
How long does it take for the FDSO to replace a lost airworthiness certificate, and what's involved - after you make the appointment with airworthiness inspector?

IIRC, if you bring all required information/material to the FSDO and present it to the FSDO inspector the inspector will issue a new airworthiness certificate on the spot.

Both times I have had to do this, the inspector came out and inspected the aircraft. 2623V and 2801C

I often wonder about this. I don't know if it would help but I used my scanner to save a copy of ALL of my important documents on my computer. I even scan my pilot log book. I figure that if I'm involved in a crash and survive but the plane burns up my log book, I at least want to prove that I was current and legal to fly.

Do you think it would be quicker/easier if you could provide a copy of your airworthiness certificate?

waldo said:
I don't know if it would help but I used my scanner to save a copy of ALL of my important documents on my computer...Do you think it would be quicker/easier if you could provide a copy of your airworthiness certificate?
Yes. And that's straight from a FSDO Airworthiness Inspector. There's data on there that makes it easier for them to prepare the replacement, saving them searches of FAA records. In fact, they ask that you fax the copy to them when you make your request for a replacement.

To avoid the potential hassle of having an FAA inspector poring over your aircraft, might I suggest driving to the FSDO.

On my one experience with this, the new certificate was issued immeidately. This was at Philadelphia, where is FSDO is near, but not on, the airport property.

Jon

Thanks everyone!

The secretary/treasurer of the flying Club started the process this morning. My check ride is on the 25'th - and I am still hoping to get some practice flying done between now and then, so hearing that it won't take too long to be replaced is good news... Since I'm grounded until it's replaced. :(

Back