Loss of another aerobatic pilot - Marta Meyer

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I received this e-mail this morning. I had never met Marta or her husband. Let's all be very careful out there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The US Unlimited Team and friends are saddened to announce the passing of Marta Meyer today in Yukon, OK.
Marta was an Unlimited Team member for two years and the Team Manager this year in Spain where she was awarded the "Most Valuable Volunteer" award for being the last minute warm-up pilot for the competition. She has been a fixture in the aerobatic community for over 20 years. She and her husband Bob built and flew the Giles 300 in many Unlimited competitions. She worked for NASA and was one of two women ever to fly in the SR-71 Blackbird.

Marta was practicing for the upcoming US Nationals. After about 5 minutes of practice, including several vertical maneuvers, Marta pulled vertical to do a hammerhead and the canopy departed the aircraft. No further control inputs were noted and the Giles crashed just off the airport property. Speculation is that Marta was rendered unconscious at the canopy departure. Bob has located the canopy and it was found locked, with the pins also in the locked position. He and friends will attempt to determine the cause of the failure tomorrow.

There will certainly be a memorial service for Marta, however no details are available at this time. I, or someone will post them here as soon as they are made available.

There are few women in this sport and to lose one as special as Marta is a loss to us all. She was one of the happiest people I have ever met, and brought this joy to everything she did. She was an outstanding Team Manager and a good friend. She will be missed by all of us on the Unlimited Team and many, many friends in the aerobatic and aviation community.

I was out and about all weekend and first learned of this incident this morning. Very sad. And with Nationals right around the corner, I'm sure this will add a somber note to the affair.

That is so, so, so sad. It sounds like she was loved and respected by many.

gibbons said:
I received this e-mail this morning. I had never met Marta or her husband. Let's all be very careful out there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The US Unlimited Team and friends are saddened to announce the passing of Marta Meyer today in Yukon, OK.
Marta was an Unlimited Team member for two years and the Team Manager this year in Spain where she was awarded the "Most Valuable Volunteer" award for being the last minute warm-up pilot for the competition. She has been a fixture in the aerobatic community for over 20 years. She and her husband Bob built and flew the Giles 300 in many Unlimited competitions. She worked for NASA and was one of two women ever to fly in the SR-71 Blackbird.

Marta was practicing for the upcoming US Nationals. After about 5 minutes of practice, including several vertical maneuvers, Marta pulled vertical to do a hammerhead and the canopy departed the aircraft. No further control inputs were noted and the Giles crashed just off the airport property. Speculation is that Marta was rendered unconscious at the canopy departure. Bob has located the canopy and it was found locked, with the pins also in the locked position. He and friends will attempt to determine the cause of the failure tomorrow.

There will certainly be a memorial service for Marta, however no details are available at this time. I, or someone will post them here as soon as they are made available.

There are few women in this sport and to lose one as special as Marta is a loss to us all. She was one of the happiest people I have ever met, and brought this joy to everything she did. She was an outstanding Team Manager and a good friend. She will be missed by all of us on the Unlimited Team and many, many friends in the aerobatic and aviation community.

That is a big loss and sadness for all.

I read about the canopy departure... did it somehow knock her unconcious before she could open her chute ?

For those of you that are going to be in the SoCal area and want to attend a memorial service at Edwards AFB:
Carol R forgot to state what day its on, I'll email her for anyone interested.

Hello All,
I am certain that you have received the news that Marta Bohn-Meyer did not survive her accident on Sunday, September 18.

Her husband, Bob, requested that NASA hold a memorial service for her here at Dryden, so we are in the process of putting it together.
It is open to the general public. If you would like to attend, here is the information.

1. If your car does not have Base stickers, you must come in through the "West Gate" through Rosamond.
2. The service will begin at 1:00. I recommend being about 30 minutes early, so that you can park and make your way to the main hangar, where it will be held (there will be signs and people to direct you).
3. As with the SWS meeting, the Air Force security folks need certain information from you. They plan to have it at the west gate. We also plan to have someone from NASA at the gate to handle questions and make things easier.
4. There will be an article in the newspaper tomorrow that gives this same info (as I understand it).

Please sent the following information to:
Carmen.Arevalo-1@nasa.gov

1. Your full name
2. Place of birth (City, State, Country)
3. Date of birth
4. Driver's License number, and State, if not CA
5. Last 6-digits of your social security number

Please try to have the information to Carmen by COB tomorrow, as it will help her with her workload. If you are unsure that you can attend, but are going to try to attend, send her the information anyway.
Please copy me on your message.

Flowers, Etc.
The Center is going to decorate the hangar. No flowers are needed at Dryden.
Bob has requested that if you want to give donations, please consider Katrina relief (any) and the American Arthritis Foundation.

For cards, Bob's address is:
**** deleted on purpose, email me if you want it!!! depudes@yahoo.com****

Apparently, there are few particulars about the accident. Here are several websites with information.

IAC Web page
http://www.iac.org/

EAA Aerobatics web page
http://www.iac.org/news/09_18_05 - US Unlimited Team Manager Marta Meyer Perishes.html

NASAWatch
http://www.nasawatch.com/

Here is the message that our Director sent to employees yesterday:
"Many of you have already heard, Steve (Schmidt) and I am deeply saddened to tell you that our Chief Engineer, Marta Bohn-Meyer died yesterday in a tragic airplane crash. I am sure we cannot yet comprehend the loss of Marta and the devastating sorrow that Bob is enduring today. I ask all of you to keep Marta and Bob in your thoughts, your heart, and your prayers today.
Marta Bohn-Meyer was an extraordinarily talented individual and a most trusted technical expert and manager at NASA Dryden. She committed her life and career to aviation and the advancement of aeronautics and space in the United States. We at Dryden will miss her tremendously.
All the hearts and prayers of NASA Dryden go out to her husband Bob and Marta's family."
Kevin Petersen

If you have questions or need help, please don't hesitate to give me a call. I'll be out this evening, but should be home the other nights of the week. And I'll be a work the rest of the week.

Carol R.

Back