Loop in a Stearman

SkykingC310

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Adam
I got to go up in a Stearman today. The owner was out flying around the valley and invited me to go for a ride. It was so cool. My first time in an open cockpit biplane. Leather cap and goggles even. We stayed low and flew over the farmland. So perfect. Then he asked if I wanted to do a loop...heck yes I do! So up and over we went. What a fun day I had.

My first aerobatic ride was in a Stearman. I was asked if I wanted level 1,2,or 3. I said level 3 and couldn't have had a better time. ;)

Oh I love stearmans. Low and slow. The only thing I have done in a stearman is lazy eights. Fun stuff.

Greg Bockelman said:
Don't ask, don't tell, Kent. :D

I wonder how many breakups of stearmans in flight there have been....I bet it's not a common event.

jangell said:
I wonder how many breakups of stearmans in flight there have been....I bet it's not a common event.

I was thinking FARs more than breakups, but that got me wondering... Did Texas Air Aces use chutes? If so, how come nobody got out? If not, how'd they get away with it, and long enough for two similar incidents to occur? :dunno:

im sure they probably had to wear chutes but think about this. you are going fast, well over 100 knots, maybe 150. one wing falls off. you start a roll. fast. I would guess you have only a few seconds before the Gs get so high at those speeds that there is no hope in getting out. If you are lucky the cockpit will disintegrate around you and you ill come to in time to pull the ripcord.

I believe, according to reports I've heard, in the T-34 incidents in TX & GA (and the T-6 incident in FL) the occupants were basically pinned in their seats due to the almost immediate high G factors and possibly quickly unconcious for the same reason. In the case of the GA accident: Both pilots were wearing parachutes, but as the wing failed it swung over and crushed the canopy.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/regt34.html

http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/ASM/Mag/Index/2005/DJ/svmt.html

Last edited:
Back