Looking to start pilot training in Washington state

Baby moose

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Baby moose
Hello all. Just looking for input and no better place than the forums. I purchased my plane about 10-11 years ago. 1968 Bellanca Viking 260. It has been a complete restoration. I’ll have it finished this fall and ready to go. I’m very much a newbie. I flew a few times in a Archer And I was hooked. Anyways, I’m starting from scratch, I’m wanting to start the path for my pilot license. I’ll be using my plane mainly to go back and forth over the cascade range from Spokane to where my boat is in Anacortes. Any instructors here from Washington state/Spokane area? Thanks!

That’s a lot of airplane to start out with, but that’ll be a sweet plane to scoot around in. Best of luck!

A complex/high-performance aircraft as a trainer? There's probably a CFI out there who will train you in that, but if I had to guess it's going to be harder to find. Seems like they'd be taking more of a risk.
But I am jealous of the commuter route to your boat, I'd love to fly over scenic terrain like that.

A complex/high-performance aircraft as a trainer? There's probably a CFI out there who will train you in that, but if I had to guess it's going to be harder to find. Seems like they'd be taking more of a risk.
But I am jealous of the commuter route to your boat, I'd love to fly over scenic terrain like that.
I know a gentleman who bought an E35 Bonanza and did all his primary training in it. I wonder if finding a cfi that would meet the insurance requirements would be an issue?

I know a gentleman who bought an E35 Bonanza and did all his primary training in it. I wonder if finding a cfi that would meet the insurance requirements would be an issue?
I was wondering about that. I’ve heard the insurance is one of the hurdles I’ll have to deal with. Since the plane is paid for, at least that frees up working capital. No rental fees. And freedom to go when and where. I may have to pay more for the instructor though. Can a CFI not be instrument rated? If it works out I would advance to instrument rated, I’m guessing that would cost more

I appreciate you response. It is a very beautiful part of Washington. I’m excited to get completed. It normally takes between 6-8 hours depending on traffic. But when I can spin the prop, it’s only 174 miles as a crow flies. It’s an hour flight and my boat is walking distance from the airport. I’m pretty stoked

Can a CFI not be instrument rated? If it works out I would advance to instrument rated, I’m guessing that would cost more

A cfi needs an instrument, then commercial before gaining their cfi. They may or may not be a cfii however. I would look into a type club and see if theres anyone around that has the time in type insurance would require. Looks like there's a couple cfi's around that specialize in Viking instruction. Might be easier to find a local cfi and send them down. Or find a local viking owner willing to rent their plane for the cfi to meet the hours required. Gotta talk to the insurance company and see what they want. Maybe you'll get lucky.

As a flatlander, I'm jealous of the scenery. Where you based out of? Have a couple friends in the Spokane area.

Also....PICS??

Last edited:
A cfi needs an instrument, then commercial before gaining their cfi. They may or may not be a cfii however. I would look into a type club and see if theres anyone around that has the time in type insurance would require. Looks like there's a couple cfi's around that specialize in Viking instruction. Might be easier to find a local cfi and send them down. Or find a local viking owner willing to rent their plane for the cfi to meet the hours required. Gotta talk to the insurance company and see what they want. Maybe you'll get lucky.

As a flatlander, I'm jealous of the scenery. Where you based out of? Have a couple friends in the Spokane area.

Also....PICS??

my plane and rented hangar are in Utah, getting finished. The closest airport to me would be across lake Roosevelt in Davenport or Grand coulee. I stopped by once and met a hangar owner. It’s a small little airport, only tie downs are available right now. My family has a ranch with a grass landing strip. Both my father and elder brother have Cherokee 140’s

I’ll be posting photos of the final stretch. The guys finishing it are very old school, poor thing looks all sad with its wings off. It is such a beautiful plane, I’ve been waiting so long to take her out on a maintenance run. Well, not me, someone who can legally I mean. I’m having larger numbers put on also so I can cross the Canadian border

Back