Looking to meet Vans RV pilots in San Diego

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
I've considered a Vans RV 7a as my first plane after getting a chance to sit in one today and really want to meet local San Diego Vans RV owner pilots in the area. Before buying one it would be helpful to have the chance to ride in one.

Scott

Just look for the guys walking around in flight suits at the airport. Heheh. ;)

It won't let me register when I answered the questions I put RV-1 and 0 for the anti spam questions.

It won't let me register when I answered the questions I put RV-1 and 0 for the anti spam questions.
I am a member on there, but I dont remember the registration process or the questions. What were they?

RTFQ: First kits sold were not RV-1.

From the Van's website:
Van flew the RV-1 from 1965 through 1968 and enjoyed its performance immensely, but he was aware that its hybrid heritage limited its performance and felt something better was possible. He wanted an airplane that was able to fly in and out of any reasonable airstrip, with enough power and maneuverability to do good basic aerobatics, and cruise as fast as possible. (This may not seem to be a particularly inspired goal, but consider for a minute how few airplanes actually achieve it.) He reluctantly sold the RV-1 (it is still on the active registry) and began design and construction of a completely original airplane.

The single-seat RV-3 flew for the first time in August 1971 and proved to be a delightful airplane -- an improvement in every way over the RV-1. Shortly thereafter, he started his own business, providing parts, plans and very basic kits for the RV-3.

RTFQ: First kits sold were not RV-1.

From the Van's website:
Van flew the RV-1 from 1965 through 1968 and enjoyed its performance immensely, but he was aware that its hybrid heritage limited its performance and felt something better was possible. He wanted an airplane that was able to fly in and out of any reasonable airstrip, with enough power and maneuverability to do good basic aerobatics, and cruise as fast as possible. (This may not seem to be a particularly inspired goal, but consider for a minute how few airplanes actually achieve it.) He reluctantly sold the RV-1 (it is still on the active registry) and began design and construction of a completely original airplane.

The single-seat RV-3 flew for the first time in August 1971 and proved to be a delightful airplane -- an improvement in every way over the RV-1. Shortly thereafter, he started his own business, providing parts, plans and very basic kits for the RV-3.

I assumed the question on the VAF site was "name two models"...:redface::redface::redface:

I assumed the question on the VAF site was "name two models"...:redface::redface::redface:

Question 1 model of first kits sold
Question 2 is about some instrument approach. Answer is easily found on Airnav

Actual they changed the questions

1. First model of Vans
2. Frequency last digit of localizer at kawd airport

I requested and received a ride in an RV-8 through VAF in a matter of a few days. The guy who gave me a ride was fantastic, sharing everything he knew about it with one of the finest RVs I have ever seen.

I had been thinking about building or buying for many years, but as much as I like RVs after the ride I decided they aren't for me. The ride cured RV fever for me and for that reason it was well worth it so I could move on with other aviation pursuits.

We often hear about flights that convinced someone that the plane was right for them but rarely hear about ones that convinced someone it wasnt for them. I dont want to derail the thread but Im curious what you didnt like about the RV.

Actual they changed the questions

1. First model of Vans
2. Frequency last digit of localizer at kawd airport

RTFQ means Read The Full Question:

1. What is the model number of the first RV that Richard VanGrunsven offered for sale at Van's Aircraft? It's 3 for crying out loud.

Look at question above it about your RV on interest... not a 0, 1, or 2 to be found.

For Question 2, isn't the localizer frequency listed on the instrument approaches to the airport, which can be found on Airnav?

Last edited:
First of all, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, especially given that the pilot was a former F-16 driver. :D

I know you can make the airplane as simple or as complex as you want, but the money involved with this airplane was staggering. I'm skeptical about the cost savings from experimental aircraft versus my Cherokee which I own free and clear. I know there is really no performance comparison between an RV and a Cherokee, but for me the extra performance capability wouldn't add that much to the pleasure I get out of flying; diminishing marginal utility if you will. I understand that this is not the usual case, I was just being honest with myself. Sorta like the guy who buys a fancy motorhome only to have it sit almost all of the time; the pleasure comes from the travel not the mode of transportation. The Cherokee is a sunk cost, the extra money tied up in a RV would be stressful for me. My Cherokee is a stable, forgiving, trusty friend and it took an RV ride for me to appreciate that.

Other secondary reasons are: I'm tall and felt cramped inside unable to stretch, it was very hot which is a complaint I hear from other RV owners especially here in Arizona, I'm not that interested in working on airplanes other than the Part 43 things I can do with my Cherokee, I would give up the ability to have more than one passenger. I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy the building process. Based on the prices I have seen for nicer RVs, it would have cost me a bundle to trade up.

Great response, and brutally honest.

I went 180 degrees the other direction, of course. After my "free" ride in an RV-8, I absolutely fell head over heels in love. I hired an expert to help me find my perfect RV-8A, and the rest, as they say, is history. My wife and I have flown the pants off of "Amelia" for the last 2.5 years, and enjoyed it immensely.

I must admit, you're the first person I've ever met to NOT fall in love with the RV. You've saved yourself a bunch of money! :)

Hey Jay... if the weather holds up I'll be at your place Friday.... But with my Cardinal instead of my RV-6A.

Fingers crossed.

Hey Jay... if the weather holds up I'll be at your place Friday.... But with my Cardinal instead of my RV-6A.

Fingers crossed.

*sigh* Must be tough, deciding on which plane to fly today. :)

The weather next week looks...interesting. There's a tropical wave down in the Southern Gulf that may (or may not) become something, and may (or may not) move our way. We could use the rain, but it would be nice if it didn't come next weekend, with our big fly-in, and the Harvest Moon Regatta -- the biggest sail boat race on the Gulf of Mexico -- happening!

Hope to see you soon!

Ok it worked this time around :)

Anyways I sat in a new Vans RV 7a and it was smaller than a Bonanza but I fit into it fine and the view was great with the bubble canopy. Since I fly by myself most of the time and may take a friend up, the useful load works for me at the price point. I can afford a 40 year old Cessna, Bonanza, Mooney or Piper at same cost as a new Vans with updated engine and avionics.

Anyways I sat in a new Vans RV 7a and it was smaller than a Bonanza but I fit into it fine and the view was great with the bubble canopy. Since I fly by myself most of the time and may take a friend up, the useful load works for me at the price point. I can afford a 40 year old Cessna, Bonanza, Mooney or Piper at same cost as a new Vans with updated engine and avionics.

Once you get a ride.... You WILL be hooked....

:yes:

Well if cost is no issue, then lyou might look at the RV-14 which is the latest iteration of the 2-seat side-by-side RVs. It's a bit larger than the 7. But building is not for everyone and is a huge commitment , so if you lIke RVs you'll have to decide if you want to go down that path or buy one already built by someone else.

Yup plus besides IFR learning basic acrobatics would be fun! Nothing like a rush. Funny at KMYF there are tons of bi plane funky planes but no Vans around. Maybe I need to find the right group on the field.

Yup plus besides IFR learning basic acrobatics would be fun! Nothing like a rush. Funny at KMYF there are tons of bi plane funky planes but no Vans around. Maybe I need to find the right group on the field.

Well if you don't get any hits on VAF, and I'd be shocked if you didn't, seek out your local EAA Chapter. Guaranteed someone in the Chapter has an RV 6 or 7.

Back