Looking forward to a flying weekend!

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
Going on a much needed getaway, my girlfriend and I will be making our way to Monterrey shortly. Of course, when we put it together, we had no clue it was a race weekend...

That will be my first visit to KMRY.

Much more excitingly from a flying perspective, though, is Sunday, when we will be headed to Big Bear City (L35) to pick up my daughter from her camp nearby. That flight will be distinguished in a few ways, most notable that it will be my longest single stretch ever (over 300nm). I have played around in Mammoth before, which is about 1000' higher, so I'm not inexperienced with the reduced performance, but we'll be taking off at max gross on the way back (we're also picking up one of her counselors to bring back home en-route) and as a result I have certainly done more planning on this one than pretty much any other flight I have ever taken (including, I think, when I was still a student).

L35 looks quite interesting what with mountains surrounding on all four quadrants. I am fairly curious as to what kind of winds to expect down there. Anyone familiar with it? I am planning on the NW approach/departure via Fawnskin.

Best approach to L35 is over the dam. Hwy 18 is really, really easy to spot from the air, and you can follow it in. The pattern is over the city, south of the lake. Do not fly in over the lake, as you're fairly likely to encounter someone attempting to climb out at the limits of their aircraft performance.

I flew in there from KWJF, on a late spring afternoon. It was pretty bouncy over the desert, and there was some turbulence coming over the mountains from LA. Quite noticeable at 9500 feet, not all that far above the highest peaks. It was pretty smooth inside the valley. Of course YMMV.

Density altitude can get over 10,000 feet there. Think twice about a max gross takeoff -- check your takeoff performance, and maybe consider a light fuel load. You can fuel up in Hesperia or San Bernardino, not all that far away, and much, much lower altitude.

L35 is a fabulous flight. Just be careful. Lots of folks have gone for unscheduled swims in that lake. Fortunately, there are no obstacles between the runway and the lake, but you do have to be able to climb out of ground effect.

About KMRY, IMC is very likely morning and evening this time of year. If it happens and you're not instrument rated (or you can't get a clearance or it's below minimums), just divert to KSNS; it's almost always in the clear, and not all that far away. You'll almost have to try not to spot it from inside the Class C.

Last edited:
Thank you Makg. So west approach is better than nw at l35 then. Good info.

I'm not too concerned about max gross, because I'm flying a 182 - I still get over 700 ft/m at 9000ft density altitude (tested at MMH), and it is supposed to be in the high 70s when I take off. If its any hotter ill leave some fuel behind. Plane has a 5hr endurance anyway, and thats with reserve, and leaving 10-20 gallons or so on the ground is always an option. I did a fair bit of calculations so I know how much not to take depending on density alt.

KMRY weather is VFR right now and should stay that way until after 6pm, but KSNS is indeed the alternate. Staying at Del Monte - Unless you know of a better option for GA parking?

Last edited:
I don't park at KMRY because I don't want to pay ramp fees. I can drive there faster than I can fly anyway. People seem to say nice things about Del Monte, but you know the same things I do.

I flew a Warrior into L35, so I was a bit more concerned about performance.

I've never had a problem with ramp fees at KMRY. Just get some fuel at one of the FBO's. Last time I was there they even hooked me up with a crew car without even asking.

They say $25 per night but they will waive one night if I get fuel, which I plan to. Im glad I booked a slot though! They are real bush on account of the Grandprix.

I just flew into L35 last weekend. I've always landed on 26 there.
Its a very steep approach if you follow the Vasi flight path. There are lots of trees on that end of the runway and it is usually a bit bumpy on approach. The airport is situated in a valley but the valley is fairly broad and easy to navigate.

Big Bear has the cheapest fuel in CA. So folks are tempted to fill up there. I paid $5.18 there last weekend. Lots of people fill up because the fuel is cheap. It could turn into a very expensive tank of gas. :confused:

Restaraunt there has great breakfasts.

Have fun.

That fuel trick doesn't work for me, as I'll only burn 6 gallons or so to get there, counting taxi and runup. But it ought to work fine if you're coming up from southern California.

That fuel trick doesn't work for me, as I'll only burn 6 gallons or so to get there, counting taxi and runup. But it ought to work fine if you're coming up from southern California.

Us playas know how to work it.

Del Monte is a little more fee happy than Jet Center. MJC has always taken care of us better but your milage may vary.

Us playas know how to work it.

I'd be interested in your trick.

The only one I've heard is to fly one of the Pipers (which are generally filled to the tabs) and top it off. Which will really **** the next guy off if he was counting on the low fuel for a 3-adult load. It also backfires because MRY fuel is on the expensive side, which means the club charges me the difference.

I don't remember any ramp fees at Del Monte, though I was just there for a few hours. I probably bought about 20 gallons. They gave me plane parking and a crew car, so I am definitely not worried about paying a little premium on fuel. They were very friendly, as well. A very good experience.

Back