Looking for TW rental in Chicago?

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
The kicker, is that I have a CFI I would like to use....

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Brent

PS--This CFI would far exceed any sort of outrageous insurance minimums...

That kicker takes out my suggestion, a Champ at A&M. They aren't going to let you use a non-staff flight instructor.

brent thats going to be a tough one, with your kicker. you could check up at Poplar Grove. they've got a cub and a cessna 140. although that might be a bit of a drive for you.

Thanks Guys! I'm going to wait this one out and see what summer brings, but I may end up at A&M;) I'll let you know if I do, Grant...

Brent

brent thats going to be a tough one, with your kicker. you could check up at Poplar Grove. they've got a cub and a cessna 140. although that might be a bit of a drive for you.

I don't know if they'll let just anybody instruct with either of them, but their guy (Bob O'Quinn) who checked me out in the C-140 was excellent. I do know that if you have the endorsement and they check you out in it, you can rent it for solo flight.
Also... just a very nice friendly airport and a great FBO operation:

http://www.poplargroveairmotive.com/

I don't know if they'll let just anybody instruct with either of them, but their guy (Bob O'Quinn) who checked me out in the C-140 was excellent. I do know that if you have the endorsement and they check you out in it, you can rent it for solo flight.
Also... just a very nice friendly airport and a great FBO operation:

http://www.poplargroveairmotive.com/
I had called them about TW. They kept quoting me ten hours min to solo. But I kept asking them how many hours is typical for just the endorsement as I have no intent to rent and fly it solo for them. They just couldn't our wouldn't respond to that question. I also thought their cost was pretty high for a 140. It was int he ballpark of 172 rentals. In the end I just dropped it and figured that I'll get while on vacation somewhere.

Telling someone how many hours it will take for a tailwheel endorsement
is like someone telling you how many hours it is going to take for your kid to learn to ride a bike. Everybody is different. Insurance on a taildragger is going to be really high so I can see the small difference in cost. To have a tailwheel airplane and instructor is pretty rare, I think you are passing up a good opportunity.
Dave

Telling someone how many hours it will take for a tailwheel endorsement
Hence why I asked TYPICALLY how long. But that question threw them and they kept getting hung up on the 10 hours for solo. Now if they trust you enough to basically say 'we know by 10 hours that you will be able to solo' then they must also have an idea of when one would be capable of meeting the requirements of a sign off. It sound mor elike they expected everyone to spend money to hit ten hours regardless of anything else.

What I really expected them to say in response was what they expected performance wise before they would sign off. From that I could gauge an amount of time.

Last edited:
How's Cairo treatin' ya?:rofl:

Hence why I asked TYPICALLY how long. But that question threw them and they kept getting hung up on the 10 hours for solo. Now if they trust you enough to basically say 'we know by 10 hours that you will be able to solo' then they must also have an idea of when one would be capable of meeting the requirements of a sign off. It sound mor elike they expected everyone to spend money to hit ten hours regardless of anything else.

What I really expected them to say in response was what they expected performance wise before they would sign off. From that I could gauge an amount of time.

I had called them about TW. They kept quoting me ten hours min to solo. But I kept asking them how many hours is typical for just the endorsement as I have no intent to rent and fly it solo for them. They just couldn't our wouldn't respond to that question. I also thought their cost was pretty high for a 140. It was int he ballpark of 172 rentals. In the end I just dropped it and figured that I'll get while on vacation somewhere.

This is probably typical. I did my TW endorsement elsewhere, and as that school explained it to me, their insurance (which can be nasty for old taildraggers used for instruction, hence the typical hourly rates) requires 10 hrs for solo. Getting the endorsement means the same thing as getting to solo. FWIW, I got my sign-off (in a Champ) at just over 11 hrs, which is also probably typical. That worked out fine for me.

I think PGA was just leery of letting you think they were guaranteeing you a certain number of hours to do the add-on. No matter how many hrs you may have in trikes, it can vary. Might even take longer if you have "too much" nosewheel time. :D

Getting back to the hourly rate: I looked around, and I believe 27V is the only C140 available for solo rental anywhere. Again, many schools and FBOs just don't want to deal with the insurance for something that probably won't fly as often as the 172s and Cherokees, especially the C-140, with its (undeserved, IMHO) rep. for being "tricky"... and even Champs and Cubs are pretty hard to find for solo rental these days. One might think of it as a premium just for getting to fly a great classic. You don't rent a 140 or a Champ for the nice interior or killer avionics!! Or for performance!! :D

Some of thoe old-timers are pretty darn cheap, though... 2 summers ago I happened to be working in San Diego for 8 weeks, so I was able to take advantage of their having a nice Champ for $40/hr wet!!! Took me a couple of weeks flying weekend mornings and occasionally after work.
It's gone up a bit, but it's still a good deal. For most transitioning pilots, a Champ could be the easiest taildragger to master, too. You might consider SD for the next vacation, and spend your time in the Champ instead of doing the tourist stuff. :D There's a motel right across the highway.

Check it out- their other rates are still pretty good, too. And did I mention the weather? :D

http://www.firstflightcorp.com/

That being said, I think there's also a Champ at Clow(?)... another possibility.

Back