Looking for real radar...

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Cloud Nine's Cessna 310 was previous equipped with radar (an RDR-130) paid to an Avidyne FlightMax. The previous owner had those items removed and installed in his replacement T310R prior to donation of the plane.

Given the operation the aircraft receives, on-board radar is a necessity. It's also not cheap.

We're looking for a good, used (or new) complete radar unit either discounted or donated to Cloud Nine. As a 501(c)3, all discounts below a retail price are tax deductible.

I've had my eye specifically on RDR-160 and KWX56 models, but am open to other options. Some of the low-powered units that have poor penetration aren't going to be worth the install costs.

Additionally, we're looking at some of the BFG/L3 stormscopes that could be paired to the 530 already in the plane.

Any leads are appreciated.

You might Call Muncie Aviation, I think they have the radar unit we took out of our Navajo. Not sure who owns it or if it's still around but it's worth a shot.

If memory serves it was given to them in exchance for the removal, it wasn't working and I think they were going to fix and sell. I might be wrong however.

Cloud Nine's Cessna 310 was previous equipped with radar (an RDR-130) paid to an Avidyne FlightMax. The previous owner had those items removed and installed in his replacement T310R prior to donation of the plane.

Given the operation the aircraft receives, on-board radar is a necessity. It's also not cheap.

We're looking for a good, used (or new) complete radar unit either discounted or donated to Cloud Nine. As a 501(c)3, all discounts below a retail price are tax deductible.

I've had my eye specifically on RDR-160 and KWX56 models, but am open to other options. Some of the low-powered units that have poor penetration aren't going to be worth the install costs.

Additionally, we're looking at some of the BFG/L3 stormscopes that could be paired to the 530 already in the plane.

Any leads are appreciated.

I got some pretty good service and fair prices from Steve Fini at Corporate Aviation. You might give him a call to see what he's go available. He specializes in used GA radars, or at least he used to. IME the biggest factor in radar performance is the antenna. If at all possible try to get a 12" flat plate. If you go with a monochrome unit like the RDR-160, it will display in color on a MFD like the Avidyne EX500/600.

I'll give Corporate Aviation a call and see what they say.

The 310 used to have an Avidyne FlightMax connected to an RDR-150. Unfortunately, all those bits were removed (including mounts and wiring), so it will be an install effectively from scratch. I'll need to measure, but I think a 10" dish will fit in the radome the plane has, and I may go for another Avidyne to pair with an RDR-160. The panel should be able to fit up through a 500 Avidyne, but the newest ones are too big.

Back