Looking for my first $100 burger

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
I'm really hating myself because I've only flown once since my checkride over a month ago! I've been getting in my own way because I don't want to just wander around my backyard anymore, so I haven't done that, but I don't have any destinations either, which I reasoned is the whole purpose in becoming a pilot in the first place. So I turn to you folks. Throw out some ideas relatively close to KFRG, about 50 miles or so. Thanks!

If you are just looking for a place to go and eat, here are some ideas:
http://www.fly2lunch.com/results.php?apt=frg&radius=50&onApt=2

If you are up for a longer trip and want to visit with other pilots, here are some ideas.

Have a wonderful breakfast Saturday at 44N on Saturday with NEPG pilots. If you can't make breakfast, I'm sure some will still be hanging around for the great hamburgers at noon. Also on Saturday, over 20 NEPG pilots have said they will be at Martha's Vinyard to celebrate the Summer Solstice on the beach. (Bring a picnic lunch.) http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/calendar/13661335/?from=list&offset=0 You don't have to be a member to join in the fun. Just say to any pilot you see, "Are you with the pilot's group? So am I".

There are also a few events encouraged by others in Pennsylvania and Rhode Island,
http://www.flyincalendar.com/index.cfm?m=6&y=2010&s=New York&as=1

Here's another source of places to go/things to do: http://www.aopa.org/pilot/calendar/

Have fun. Congratulations on the new identity.

Block Island?

Martha Vinyard?

Plymouth MA (I don't know if the restaurant is still there)

Norwood MA (then walk to The Pilot Shop)

Fly-in breakfasts can be pretty fun. But be extra vigilant looking for traffic, because those events tend to bring out some really bad pilots...and watch out for stupid people/kids on the ground.

Thanks for the input. I'm making it a short trip because I'm not leaving until the afternoon which is when my girlfriend gets here. I figured on New Haven, and taking the courtesy car into town for a bit of wandering and some lunch. It was a last minute thing that i decided last night. I do, however, plan on going to Ocean City, NJ next week which is about 100nm.

KACK.

Seriously, you'll thank me later. That place is awesome.

OK, changed my mind to Block Island. Easy to get to and to get around, and I could prob find a bike to rent, which would be perfectly sufficient.

OK, changed my mind to Block Island. Easy to get to and to get around, and I could prob find a bike to rent, which would be perfectly sufficient.
That's a great choice! You can even walk from the airport down into town. Really fun little airport, and there's lots of good restaurants. Although it might be a bit touristy right now....

Try Sky Manor (N40) or South Jersey (VAY). Both have great airport cafes and are about 70-80 nm respectively from FRG. If you are looking for a little longer trip, hard to beat the Cockpit Cafe in Sanford, ME (SFM). That was my favorite restaurant of choice when I was stationed in RI.

KWWD. There's a museum on the field, and the town of Cape May and beach are close by with lots of good restaurant choices.

Is there a crew car available at Danbury, CT? You could go to Marcus Dairy, I always enjoyed their diner.

Doesn't Montauk have an airport with a restaurant within walking distance? I think the restaurant name is "Ricks Crabby Cowboy Cafe" or "Krusty Krab Restaurant" or something similar...

My wife and I were flying from Hyannis to Newport News. Instead of trying to go around a thunderstorm over Atlantic City we landed at Tom's River. The nice folks at the FBO provided a courtesy car and directions to the local cafe. We had a wonderful breakfast and on retuning to the airport found the plane topped off and the thunderstorm had moved off shore. My point is you can find good folks and times just about anywhere around aviation. Get out and fly and enjoy. You worked hard for your ticket.

Millville, NJ (KMIV) had two nice restaurants when I lived there. The Flightline had good breakfast type food, but a little difficult to find due to the airport fencing installed after 9/11. The other one was Antinos, next to Big Sky FBO- they had great panini sandwiches. They have a small WWII museum across from Big Sky

Barnes (KBAF) has a nice little restaurant on field, and friendly FBOs. I haven't tried exploring that area of Massachusetts, though, so I don't know what there is to do off-field. Getting flight following and a class-C transition from Bradley approach is usually no problem.

Lot's of good suggestions here, I'll keep them in mind. I wound up going to Block Island for a few hours, and it was a pretty good experience. There was no ramp fee even though I didn't get any fuel, and there was a cab waiting for me by the time I got out of the john. I have little experience at an uncontrolled field, and was a little confused when someone came on the radio after I landed asking if i wanted a taxi into town.

I made several mistakes, however. I knew I would be getting back to FRG late, possibly after sunset, but didnt think to bring a flashlight and didnt check my position, landing or anticollision lights before departing. I noticed after I got back to FRG, the landing light was inop. Also, I departed BID from a taxiway intersection rather than back-taxiing for full length. I knew it was close to full length but departing there without knowing the actual distance was not a good idea. During training, my instructor said I should fly directly over an uncontrolled field before getting into the pattern. I did this, but felt very uncomfortable with getting into the downwind, since I was descending at that point, and I know its not a good idea to descend into the downwind. I'll have to review pattern work at unconrolled fields. In the end, another learning experience.:yesnod:

How did you get away without the ramp fee? Did you not leave the airport grounds? They've always told me that if I leave the airport they charge the ramp fee. Ah, well. And yes, they'll call you up on the radio whenever you land, asking what you want to do.

Well, I did pay $10 which I thought was the landing fee. Guess it was a ramp fee. Either way, It did cost me $10 to go there.

Back