Looking for Multi Time

Trhoden

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cirrus Driver
I am looking to see if any twin engine owners have the ability to let me split time with them in their multi. I'll be more than happy to pay for the gas and we all know that it is not cheap these days to justify the 1,000.00 hamburger anymore. I'm current and am Commercial AMEL-instrument rated. Sorry but I don't have an MEI. I would prefer to fly out of the MSP area or anywhere located within the Twin Cities TAC. I also have over 2,000 hours of time with all Garmin products so if you are equipped, I'd also be more than happy to cover advanced GPS usage if you are rusty.

Thanks!

I am looking to see if any twin engine owners have the ability to let me split time with them in their multi. I'll be more than happy to pay for the gas and we all know that it is not cheap these days to justify the 1,000.00 hamburger anymore. I'm current and am Commercial AMEL-instrument rated. Sorry but I don't have an MEI. I would prefer to fly out of the MSP area or anywhere located within the Twin Cities TAC. I also have over 2,000 hours of time with all Garmin products so if you are equipped, I'd also be more than happy to cover advanced GPS usage if you are rusty.

Thanks!

You would be welcome to accompany me on my next AngelFlight mission. I've been putting that off until the engine swap scheduled for next week is accomplished since one engine is way over TBO. I'm based at FCM.

welcome cirrusdriver! I'll trade you my time as an MEI if you want it for some time in the Cirrus.

welcome cirrusdriver! I'll trade you my time as an MEI if you want it for some time in the Cirrus.

Wish I could, but I am just a working CFI so that puts me in the poor house. I just get to ride in everyone else's Cirrus. It really bums me out that we pay around 100,000 in school to get paid scraps as an instructor. At least I make more than a Regional airline driver when I'm working.

Wish I could, but I am just a working CFI so that puts me in the poor house. I just get to ride in everyone else's Cirrus. It really bums me out that we pay around 100,000 in school to get paid scraps as an instructor. At least I make more than a Regional airline driver when I'm working.
It does suck -- but -- it has been that way for a long time and is something you were aware of when you signed up.

It does suck -- but -- it has been that way for a long time and is something you were aware of when you signed up.

One of the First things they said to us at UND when I started is three things will happen to you.

1. You will be driving the same car for years till it falls apart. If you want to make money go to the ATC class or marry someone with a good income.

2. Someone you know will die in this industry at some point in your career.

3. You will work horrid hours for no pay and most of you will not make it past five years as a pilot.

Sad thing is that everything they said has come true. Yea, we are well aware of what it is to be a "working" pilot, but I can't do anything else. Aviation should be listed as a clinical disorder because of what we put ourselves through.

Thanks for the responses and the help with my first post. We are a small community and I'm still humbled by how much everyone looks out for one another.

One of the First things they said to us at UND when I started is three things will happen to you.

1. You will be driving the same car for years till it falls apart. If you want to make money go to the ATC class or marry someone with a good income.

3. You will work horrid hours for no pay and most of you will not make it past five years as a pilot.

Sad thing is that everything they said has come true. Yea, we are well aware of what it is to be a "working" pilot, but I can't do anything else. Aviation should be listed as a clinical disorder because of what we put ourselves through.

Thanks for the responses and the help with my first post. We are a small community and I'm still humbled by how much everyone looks out for one another.
I'm glad they tell people the above. Unfortunately -- the above doesn't tend to scare a lot of people until it happens.

Been said many times before... the best way to get to fly is to get another job that makes good money, and then spend that money on flying.

**** you mean im going to be driving the alero until it falls apart???

**** you mean im going to be driving the alero until it falls apart???
Probably -- because you like keeping your money. But .. you also make a little more money than the average CFI :)

yea. ive been neglecting the poor alero lately though. too busy working on Chris' old truck. need to get it cleaned up and cleaned out and driving again, otherwise it is going to get mad at me.

The only pilots I know of making a descent living are helicopter pilots, but they need 1500+ hours and 500 hrs turbine time to get hired.

The only pilots I know of making a descent living are helicopter pilots, but they need 1500+ hours and 500 hrs turbine time to get hired.
Hmmm... I looked into the helicopter thing 10+ years ago and came to the opposite conclusion. There are many more jobs for fixed-wing pilots, especially if you already have a substantial amount of fixed-wing time. Helicopter operators only care about time in category.

FWIW, so far I think I guessed right.

Hmmm... I looked into the helicopter thing 10+ years ago and came to the opposite conclusion. There are many more jobs for fixed-wing pilots, especially if you already have a substantial amount of fixed-wing time. Helicopter operators only care about time in category.

FWIW, so far I think I guessed right.

Very true. Right now there are actually more helicopter jobs than fixed wing but to get into anything worthwhile one needs at least 1500 hours helicopter. Below that you're back into instruction.

I'm glad they tell people the above. Unfortunately -- the above doesn't tend to scare a lot of people until it happens.
Like warning labels.

Flying is an addiction. I would not be surprised if it stimulates the same places in the brain as does narcotics.

Right now there are actually more helicopter jobs than fixed wing
That may be true now since there a scarcity of FW jobs out there, but I have not followed the helicopter industry in a long time. I got to the point where I had to make some kind of choice so I did. Part of that had to do with the fact that, at the time, I had about 6,000 FW hours and 100 helicopter and it felt too much like starting over, most likely in some crappy location. I also saw a lot of people coming out the military with helicopter time who were converting to fixed wing because of the greater opportunities there.

I guess that means I'll have the Ford until the engine throws a rod well enough that I can't duct tape it back together. Damn it, why did I get that CFI? I'll never be allowed to buy another car!

Got a phone call from the airport - my truck:

HPIM2594.JPG

Now looks like:

url

the hitch has been retired, it just needs to be removed. The Cargo strap has not been holding it on since last spring.

Some guy did back into the poor Alero at the airport though. Just a dent above the headlight though. Hood still opens, headlight is fine. Considering the value of the car and the condition of the rest of the body panels i dont really see the point of jacking up this guys insurance premiums by fixing it...

Cirrus Driver..
Search/Get a list of all the twins in the area by any means you can(especially corp.owned ones) and mail the owners a note that you are looking to expand your experience...you would be amazed at how many will likley lend a helping hand. ...Consider that MEI then you can both log PIC .

Thats a great announcement. I fly angel flights with an engine that is way over TBO. It's OK to risk your and your families lives on your run down airplane. It is not OK to risk the lives of those who are already distressed. I know a TBO is nothing more than a manufactures time and is not binding, but they are essentially saying that after this many hours-all bets are off.
Unbelievable.

Seems to me your comment verges on the unbelievable. Are you saying that airplanes with engines beyond TBO are inherently more dangerous than the alternative? If so have you ever flown an airplane that was beyond the calendar TBO (typically 12 years)? Lots of folks run engines past the hourly TBO and/or the calendar one. Some have managed to take them past twice TBO without problems. Engine hours alone aren't much of a measure of an engine's health and I've seen more than one engine well under the hourly TBO in far worse condition than mine. The engine in question has been running fine, with good compression, minimal oil usage, and good results from oil analysis and oil filter inspections. If you look at the statistics, an engine failure is far more likely in the first hundred hours of a major overhaul than within a few hundred hours of TBO.

But opinons about TBO stretching aside, you seem to have misunderstood my post entirely. I stated that I wasn't planning on flying an AF mission until I had new engines (and put some time on them to "prove" them out). You somehow twisted that to mean I was planning on flying such a mission with a runnout, just the opposite of the post.

Edit: I took a look at a few of your other posts. Seems like virtually all of them have a troll like theme, something not terribly appropriate on this forum.

Last edited:
Edit: I took a look at a few of your other posts. Seems like virtually all of them have a troll like theme, something not terribly appropriate on this forum.
I think his name says it all. "doesntplaywellwithothers"

Back